Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CE schemes

Options
  • 29-05-2008 6:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭

Can FAS CE jobs which are advertised as clerical force the person to do work in a shop/restuarant? The person concerned has problem with walking standing and was called by a CE employer because FAS gave his name. But when he said he had the difficulty they said he would - if he got the job- have to work in shop/restuarant i.e on feet.

Is this legal?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Seems strange. Did you see the full job description yourself? If not, you might want to check it on the FAS Jobbank and see if there was any mention of the 'standing up' work. It may well be that there is some discrimination here, but do check the full facts first. FAS should be able to help follow up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭masterwriter

RainyDay wrote: »
    Seems strange. Did you see the full job description yourself?
    yes
    if there was any mention of the 'standing up' work.
    no -advertised as clerical

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I'd suggest taking it up with FAS, via their formal complaints process if necessary to get appropriate attention. It could be a matter of discrimination, or it could be just sloppy recruitment practices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ylawlor

RainyDay wrote: »
    I'd suggest taking it up with FAS, via their formal complaints process if necessary to get appropriate attention. It could be a matter of discrimination, or it could be just sloppy recruitment practices.

They should be able to go to there CE Supervisor, i am on a CE scheme myself, and if i have any problems i go to my supervisor who is independent from the company i am placed with, if they have problems with standing or walking all day the company should have been informed, but i have seen allot of companies taking advantage off people on CE and making them do work not in there job description, if its not in the job description they don't have to do it. also they have a right to join SIPTU if they go to there supervisor they will have the relevant forms. or they can contact SIPTU direct.

Advertisement