Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mancini Officially Sacked

• 29-05-2008 6:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭

We all knew it....but it's official now,opens the door for Mourinho!

Comments

Meh, he got handed his first title, won his second one when Juve were gone and Milan and Fiorentina got points docked, and this year he capitalised from Milan being on a downward spiral and generally being sh1te, Juve rebuilding after their promotion. Their only competition over the last 3 years was Roma. I hope he goes to Chawsey...over rated.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

Yeah the worst kept news in football. Jose back in management? Let the news conferences begin :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

€30m compensation.

Nows that's a spicy meat-a-ball :D

Story: http://goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=715495

Mancini And Moratti In Explosive Fight
    It is being reported that Inter chairman Massimo Moratti and his former team coach Roberto Mancini had a heated exchange on the day of his dismissal... According to Il Giornale, the meeting between Mancio and Moratti lasted fourteen minutes - contrary to the previous reports of a two-minute meeting and one that lasted 20 minutes - and while Moratti was said to be calm and collected throughout, Mancini was furious with the decision that he believed had been coming since January.

Here is the conversation between the two, according to Il Giornale:

Moratti: Hello Roberto, how are you?

Mancini: I am fine, thank you.

Moratti: How's the family?

Mancini: Good, thanks.

Moratti: Roberto, I have to give you some bad news.

Mancini: I knew it.

Moratti: I have to let you go.

Mancini: No, you want to let me go, it's different.

Moratti: No, don't say these things. You know, the team, I spoke to them and something is not right. So, it's better to change.

Mancini: Don't say this, you already had Mourinho lined up back in January.

Moratti: No, not at all, it's not what you think.

Mancini: Nooo! You have been giving me all sorts of stories and lies for months. I have always behaved in the right way and I have never lied to you. I cannot understand this decision.

Moratti: What are you talking about? Don't be like this, listen to me!

Mancini: Listen to what? You didn't even enjoy this centenary Scudetto.

Moratti: What has that got to do with this? Calm down and lets talk calmly.

Mancini: Seeing that you're letting me go, I can't even be bothered to listen to you anymore.

Moratti: Don't leave it like this, let us at least talk about a good exit payment.

Mancini: I don't want your good exit payment, you have to give me the money for my four years of contract and I won't even take off one Euro. But don't worry, you will be hearing from my lawyers and with this I am off.

Whether the conversation or indeed the incidents spoken of are true remains to be seen, though one thing that is almost certain is that Jose Mourinho will sign as coach for the club in the coming days.

Mancini is expected to receive up to €30 million in compensation for his dimissal. Mourinho is reportedly being lined up for a three-year deal worth €27 million.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

€30m? how long was his contract... no wonder Moratti wanted rid of him, Mancini may be a decent manager but he certainly wasn't good enough to justify that amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭BazBox

€30 million jesus!!

Mancini should be biting the hand off him, yet according to the phone conversation he wont take a euro off him???

• Advertisement

BazBox wrote: »
    €30 million jesus!!

Mancini should be biting the hand off him, yet according to the phone conversation he wont take a euro off him???

No, he says he won't take off one euro, from the amount owed him

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭BazBox

nipplenuts wrote: »
    No, he says he won't take off one euro, from the amount owed him

ah my mistake just re-read it there

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

Y_eah thats how Id read it, will not take a penny less than €30M, and he is going to have the biggest transfer budget in the world. Lucky guy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

What bull of a transcript!! Were would a paper/website have got that like?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

kmart6 wrote: »
    What bull of a transcript!! Were would a paper/website have got that like?!

It's Italy go figure...

• Advertisement

Exactly, He wins Inter Milan there first title in 30yrs and goes on to win another 3 with some help ;). I can't think of any other reason why they would sack him.

"Wins" is such a strong word for their 2006 title. Juventus were stripped of it and it was later awarded to Integer on account of their finishing second.... hollow victory tbh. Who knows if they could have handled the pressure if they were playing for their first title in 30yrs on the pitch...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

"Wins" is such a strong word for their 2006 title. Juventus were stripped of it and it was later awarded to Integer on account of their finishing second.... hollow victory tbh. Who knows if they could have handled the pressure if they were playing for their first title in 30yrs on the pitch...

Hense why i said "they had some help" :confused:

I know, which why i said they had some help.
    Think you mis-quoted me there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

most over rated manager of the past ten years imo..won serie A with inter when it was a one horse race only!!!

mormank wrote: »
    most over rated manager of the past ten years imo..won serie A with inter when it was a one horse race only!!!
    Same could be said about Mourinho in Portugal,that was always a one-horse race! And the year they won the CL was a very bad year for it anyway!

Hense why i said "they had some help" :confused:

Sorry, Ive a big issue with Inters "wins" of the last few years. Its like celebrating mediocrity really. They have done nothing in Europe to show me that theyre anything other than an extremely average team of overpaid, overhyped "superstars".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

And the year they won the CL was a very bad year for it anyway!

Ah here... winning the Champions League with Porto(!) is some achievement no matter how 'bad' the year! I mean look at the other teams who have won it in the last 10 years: Real Madrid (2), Manchester United (2), AC Milan (2), Bayern Munich, Liverpool, Barcelona. The one other team who pulled off a real shock victory were Liverpool, and Benitez is widely held to be perhaps the best CL manager around. You really don't fluke the Champions League.

Yet Mourinho managed to win it with Paulo Ferreira and Pedro Mendes in the team!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Yet Mourinho managed to win it with Paulo Ferreira and Pedro Mendes in the team!

in fairness Ferreira was for a brief period the worlds best right back. then went to the Euros and made a howler, was dropped and lost his confidence. never looked the same player since. Mendes isn't a bad player either, just another one who struggles with the intensity of the english game.

Same could be said about Mourinho in Portugal,that was always a one-horse race! And the year they won the CL was a very bad year for it anyway!

exactly. and i would say the same about him. granted he came to england and won the league but he als odid it with a massive bankroll, the like of which had never bee nseen before, eclipsing even real madrids spending power.

i would love to see him go to leicster and od a job like martin o neill did. or keep bradford up like paul jewell did a few years back. in fairness he has not ever gone to a team that has massive opposition as such, and now he is off to inter!!! even easier job than any of the before. lets see if he wins the champs league with them!!

Ah here... winning the Champions League with Porto(!) is some achievement no matter how 'bad' the year! I mean look at the other teams who have won it in the last 10 years: Real Madrid (2), Manchester United (2), AC Milan (2), Bayern Munich, Liverpool, Barcelona. The one other team who pulled off a real shock victory were Liverpool, and Benitez is widely held to be perhaps the best CL manager around. You really don't fluke the Champions League.

i dunno. they got lucky against utd. granted u need luck etc but they def ogot lucky and caught them cold. then they got lyon in the quarter finals. and deportivo in the semis. and monaco in the final. apart from utd i dont think ihave ever seen an easier run in to the champ league victory!! compare it to utds this year for example. or liverpools in 2005

• Advertisement

I mean look at the other teams who have won it in the last 10 years

Shur that has no bearing on any other competition!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

As much as I don't rate Mancini as a coach I'm very very sad to see him leave as he avoids the year that would have been a massive massive test for him. Milan look like they're rebuilding the whole squad with alot of money next year, Juve have to push for the scudetto next year as it's the only other place to aim and our younger players should only get better. Roma got very close this year and should have an identical team and Fiorentina should improve their squad enough to challenge, at least for the CL places again. In one way, it's a blessing in disguise for Mancini because he misses a very very challenging season and his reputation escapes intact

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Sweet, I feel a motivational poster opportunity coming!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Mancini didnt deserved this...

Mancini didnt deserved this...
    That's not how it works...look at Grant!

Well if Grant didnt deserved it than its 10x more for Mancini

Now reading Mancini will sue Inter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭weemcd

mormank wrote: »
    apart from utd i dont think ihave ever seen an easier run in to the champ league victory!!
    :confused:
    is that the year they got past inter, juventus and bayern munich.

or the year they got past lyon, roma, barca and chelsea???

weemcd wrote: »

Yeah, you need to read the post again, dude.

• Advertisement

weemcd wrote: »

hahaha ya u need to read the post again. i meant, in porto's run in apart from playin utd they had an easy run in...wasnt comparing it to utd's run ins in 99 or this uear. they had tough ones in fact i said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭weemcd

apologies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

lol at the rubbish in this thread. Mourinho took Porto to the UEFA Cup and then won the CL the next year. Two years of win, win, win. It's an absolutely phenomenal achievement and in terms of modern club football - is without compare (think about Porto's pedigree in Europe before and after Jose's term of management).

I think Mancini is over hyped by the media and underrated in this thread. He has won the Italian Cup four times with three different teams. That the background to Italian football over the past four years has tilted things towards Inter is not in doubt - but they still won the league title this year and winning it with all the big boys back in it is an achievement that deserves some consideration.

Is he the right fit for Chelsea? Who knows? He's definitely far from the most accomplished manager in world football available or no - but the right man to lead Chelsea 2.0 might be someone who is willing to let Roman buy whoever and play whoever.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    lol at the rubbish in this thread. Mourinho took Porto to the UEFA Cup and then won the CL the next year. Two years of win, win, win. It's an absolutely phenomenal achievement and in terms of modern club football - is without compare (think about Porto's pedigree in Europe before and after Jose's term of management).

I think Mancini is over hyped by the media and underrated in this thread. He has won the Italian Cup four times with three different teams. That the background to Italian football over the past four years has tilted things towards Inter is not in doubt - but they still won the league title this year and winning it with all the big boys back in it is an achievement that deserves some consideration.

Is he the right fit for Chelsea? Who knows? He's definitely far from the most accomplished manager in world football available or no - but the right man to lead Chelsea 2.0 might be someone who is willing to let Roman buy whoever and play whoever.

Mourinhos achievements with Porto, brilliant. Worth double what Ferguson achieved. But, Mancini's Inter record? Really? Without question his record will be among the greats at Inter. It will show three straight wins, but without context.

1 Handed to Inter by the courts

2 Achieved with all the main rivals points penalised

3 Won narrowly with the players from their main rival (Juventus), signed as a result of the decision giving them the first title.

On a level playing field Mancini is perfect for Inter - a choker, a bridesmade, a nearly man,. The Coppa is less of a trophy than the whatever it is called cup (third trophy) in England is. Nobody makes the effort. If Luckyloyd was managing he'd have won it.

Chelsea would have to be mentalists to sign him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Chelsea would have to be mentalists to sign him.

until I read this i didnt think Mancini was going to get the job, but now...

Advertisement