Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gretna relegated to Scottish 3rd Division

• 29-05-2008 7:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭

Well Gretna have been relegated to the Scottish 3rd Division because of money problems and they only have days to secure money or they go to nothing.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Good fuc%ing riddance.

I'm still surprised that more blame hasn't been layed at the door of their so called benefactor, or his son, who has refused to hand over any more money. I know Brooks Mileson is ill, and my sympathies go to him for that, but not to put any structures in place if he should fall ill, given his medical condition and medical past, is grossly irresponsible.

His son who now seems to be acting on his behalf also has alot to answer for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Good fuc%ing riddance.

I'm still surprised that more blame hasn't been layed at the door of their so called benefactor, or his son, who has refused to hand over any more money. I know Brooks Mileson is ill, and my sympathies go to him for that, but not to put any structures in place if he should fall ill, given his medical condition and medical past, is grossly irresponsible.

His son who now seems to be acting on his behalf also has alot to answer for.

Maybe his son has no interest in football and/or Gretna in particular? If not then he's fully entitled not to keep funding something he doesnt want to when the money becomes his. Morally not right but it's his choice none the less.

Is the dropping to the 3rd division rather than a points deduction a Scottish thing or is this different to the likes of Leeds etc going in to administration?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I heard on sky sports news they have been given 1 week to find a new owner or they are getting kicked out of the leagues altogether

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Stekelly wrote: »
    Is the dropping to the 3rd division rather than a points deduction a Scottish thing or is this different to the likes of Leeds etc going in to administration?

Don't think so. They've already had the points deduction which confirmed their drop to the 1st division. The problem is that they are still in administration and have sacked all their staff, and couldn't commit to being able to make their fixtures next season. This is last chance saloon for Gretna, they have a week to confirm a new investor or they're history.

I tend to agree with Charlie above. How someone can simply bank-roll a club like that with no backup plan is crazy, although I think the SPL should have stepped in before were allowed into the top flight. I pity the players and staff who have been dumped out, and the 25 fans they had, but aside from that good riddance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

That's what happens when you under estimate an LoI team (Derry City).:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

I have to agree that Brookes Mileson needs to take some of the blame.

Football needs to take a careful look at how clubs are run, for something like this to happen without a contingency plan in place is completely ludicrous.

I hope Brookes recouperates and gets back into football in some way as he was a decent character...but hopefully hes learned a lesson or two also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Stekelly wrote: »
    Maybe his son has no interest in football and/or Gretna in particular? If not then he's fully entitled not to keep funding something he doesnt want to when the money becomes his. Morally not right but it's his choice none the less.

Should he not have taken into account his father's wishes, which presumably would be for the Club to be taken care of? Brook was head over heals about the club, and I am sure he would not have wanted waht has subsquently happened to have taken place. His sons actions are in direct contradiction with how his father acted.

Further, Should he not realise the financial hardship and grief he has caused so many people.

Further, he has condemned the club, which in all reality, will probably have to fold. Surely he could still financed it till the end of the season, maintaing some creditability so that someone would b interested in taking it off his hands. Who would want to touch the club now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Excellent, there was already talk of McGill going to Bohs, that should increase the chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I thought Brooks was 1/2 million in debt, he contributed a lot, and donated to loads of non league clubs.

Advertisement