Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seeking simple 2D CAD software

Options
  • 29-05-2008 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭

Hello all
    Im wondering if someone can recommend me a simple CAD software for 2D drawings.

I have Autodesk but Im not yet fully proficient in its use and for 2D drawings I might as well draw by hand due to the amount of time its taking with Autodesk. Thing is, I need something more presentable then hand drawn sketchs

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭foamcutter

It maybe hard to beat google sketchup. Your have the ability to quickly create 2D & 3D shapes. They have a good selection of video tutorials and online community to help with any problems. sketchup

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

Krieg wrote: »
    Hello all
    Im wondering if someone can recommend me a simple CAD software for 2D drawings.

I have Autodesk but Im not yet fully proficient in its use and for 2D drawings I might as well draw by hand due to the amount of time its taking with Autodesk. Thing is, I need something more presentable then hand drawn sketchs

Thanks

Get better at autocad its industry standard

Buy Autocad in easy steps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

topcatcbr wrote: »
    Get better at autocad its industry standard

Buy Autocad in easy steps

Im fairly proficient with proE, However not many companies ive seen use it since its apparently more expensive.

What do you mean by "Buy Autocad in easy steps" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭mjsmyth

Just posted this elsewhere (jaysus, you would think I am being paid for it!!).

Take a look a Progecad 2008 Smart!

http://www.progecad.com/compra/index.asp?left=progecad2008smart&lang=eng

mj

• Registered Users Posts: 39,284 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

foamcutter wrote: »
    It maybe hard to beat google sketchup. Your have the ability to quickly create 2D & 3D shapes. They have a good selection of video tutorials and online community to help with any problems. sketchup
    Sketch up is not a 2D program, it may be better than paint or photoshop for drawing plans, but it isn't a good suggestion over autocad, or any 2d cad package.
    Im fairly proficient with proE, However not many companies ive seen use it since its apparently more expensive.

I imagine this si the name of a suitable book to help you get better/faster at autocad drafting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

It is a small book which explains 2d autocad quite well. I used it when I was learning Autocad 14 and found it quite good. Also it is not expensive and should be found in most Easons
    Try this link for pic:

http://www.flipkart.com/autocad-2002-easy-steps-whelan/8177222422-3v23f742ke

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

There's also MicroStation, cheaper then buying cad as far as I know and not a whole lot different to draw in.

Used it for a few months and remember the odd time wishing I could use autoCAD for something or other and then while using autoCAD there where times that I preffered MS's way of doing certain things.

As mentioned autoCAD is the industry standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Alaska Paul

The first question to ask yourself is what do you want to do with your 2d cad program. Form follows function. If you want a sketch program, then there are cheap ones that will do the job. If you want to do more, then you are looking at AutoCad Lite, which sells for US$1000 or so. There are earlier versions for sale that are considerably cheaper.

If you can let us know what you want to draw, we can be of more assistance. In our shop here in Alaska, we use AutoCad 2009 with Cadworkx piping program and Civil 3d civil engineering programs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Crap, I should have pointed out that this post/project was last July in the engineering forum and is since complete.

I ended up using google sketchup. Have to say that it is a brilliant piece of software. I Couldn't believe how user friendly it was, although limited.

Im going to keep note of the links/advice posted because I know I will need it again. I do have need for CAD next semester as part of my thesis, but Ill have access to ProE fortunately.

On another note; I wish they would make these pieces of software affordable for the single user/Enthusiast.

Advertisement