Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clifden Air show

Options
  • 29-05-2008 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭

In the Galway independent of 14th May the Connemara area independent councillor Cllr Seosamh Ó Cuaig, who incidently is a member of the GAAW commended the organisers of the Clifden Air Show for not having military aircraft in its line up. He also actively opposed military aircraft at the Salthill air shows. Today in the Galway Advertiser the Clifden Air show published their first list of paticipating aircraft. Guess what!, they publish 6 acts and 3, yes half of them, are military!!. This proves the fact that with out the military 90% of air shows just wouldn't exist. I'm delighted that they have the air corps as participants. All though Clifden may, or may not for that matter, be a one off event for the Allcock and Brown celebrations, they will never be of the same callibre as the Salthill shows were. However, any aviation event in Ireland has to be welcome, for that reason I am right behind the Clifden organisers and wish them the best for the show.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Something nice about seeing our flyboys in their PC9M's operating at low level, i may just go out to this. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

I wouldn't mind myself, the problem being that it is so remote and the lack of transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

I too am 100% for the airshow in Clifden and I'm dissapointed that there is none in Salthill.
    However I'm not sure if the Councillor is against "Military aircraft" or just aircraft actively involved in war.

What I read was :
    Councillor Ó Cuaig said the organisers should be congratulated as they “realise you can celebrate the wonders of aviation without having to display warplanes, which only glamorise the horrors of war and what these weapons of mass destruction inflict on poor peoples around the world.”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

I too am 100% for the airshow in Clifden and I'm dissapointed that there is none in Salthill.
    However I'm not sure if the Councillor is against "Military aircraft" or just aircraft actively involved in war.

What I read was :

Military planes are military planes! They will be used in war if needed, including the IAC, thats what they are there for. They cannot say no military aircraft except our military aircraft thats just hypocritical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

Next up: the Frankfurt Auto Show. With no Porsches, Mercedes, BM, Ferraris or Lamborghinis. They are all actively involved or *may* be involved in speeding and thus breaking Geneva Convention 17374398/B12, while also irritating Gay Byrne.

The F16s are cool, as are most military jet aircraft. Also, fast cars are cool. People like them, it brings in money for tourism.

I hope that councillor enjoys the show with all of 12 people at it.

• Advertisement

Pete4779 wrote: »
    Next up: the Frankfurt Auto Show. With no Porsches, Mercedes, BM, Ferraris or Lamborghinis. They are all actively involved or *may* be involved in speeding and thus breaking Geneva Convention 17374398/B12, while also irritating Gay Byrne.

The F16s are cool, as are most military jet aircraft. Also, fast cars are cool. People like them, it brings in money for tourism.

+1.

Posted via Mobile Device

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

Make that 13;):p

But you're exactly right, human rights people aren't going to go to an airshow anyway, they will just kick up if a war plane goes, and war planes are what brings everyone else so tbh I think war planes should be let go, it wouldn't be the same without them for me.

if the people who protest against 'war planes' in air shows put as much effort into actually helping people in war stricken countries i'm sure they'd be much more grateful!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

:D Truth. Military aircraft are the pinnacle of modern engineering. Who would really pick a bog standard passenger plane that anyone can go see at any time over seeing the worlds fastest most maneuverable planes?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 NetLink

Here are some photos of the event...

BTW: it wasn't just military aircraft (see tanks and firepower) :)

2581453801_8f8c97eee7_m.jpg

2582277734_de06f49a61_m.jpg

2581470219_9023aae67c_m.jpg

2581471093_8033d83b5b_m.jpg

2589870089_d7483f618a_m.jpg

2581491591_f792111358_m.jpg

2584496726_922d201871_m.jpg

2581508313_82f2f3dfec_m.jpg

2584355935_d4e4883366_m.jpg

2584335573_c2fa47394a_m.jpg

2583717805_06e907e202_m.jpg

2582281994_7db2358783_m.jpg