Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT + Damaged Car? Any difference?

Options
  • 29-05-2008 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭

Went to VRT my car last Monday during work, but I'd forgotten the V5 and didnt have time to go back and get it. Driving home that night and some ****er on a motorbike drove into the back of me.

So, was I lucky to have not VRT'd it earlier that day? If I mention it's been damaged when I'm VRTing it, will the cost go down? After all, the OMSP will obviously be lower for a damaged car compared to an undamaged car but I don't know if the VRO will see it that way.
    I got a quote for approx 7k for the repair costs and someone recommended I should bring that with me while VRTing. It's not been repaired yet so there'd be no issue with showing them it's damaged, and producing the original quote from the garage.

Anyone have any experience or insight on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

yes it should result in a lower VRT payment. Tell them there's 7k of damage done and produce your quotes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

It dosent make any diffrence.:o

Years ago there was a scam of lads going for the VRT and taking the front bumper off and claiming it was damamged and getting a discount off the VRT,

Since then the VRO has copped onto this.

Sorry to hear that OP but the VRT will be the same which ever condition the car is in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

Well it's not exactly as plain and simple as just a bumper coming off.. :)
    The reason I asked is that someone in the insurance business actually told me to try this.
    The damage is not the kind of damage you would even contemplate trying, in order to scam the VRO.
    Well I'm going to try it out and see what happens anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Unfortunately they did away with the damaged discount.

Which gives rise to the interesting situation that the OMSP for a damaged car is the same as an undamaged one - NOT!

Jesus christ. VRT is such a load of bull****. Going to be absolutely sickening paying for this crap now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭markos79

well you have all the people that lied about damage to thank for not getting a genuine discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

why would you get a discount. the car is going to have to be repaired to get through an NCT. and I take it that the person who hit you will be paying.

Why would someone get a discount? Hmm let me see. Because the amount you pay is based on a percentage of the open market selling price. So, for example. If you had 2 identical cars for sale. Car A is in pristine condition and Car B has a huge dent in it.. which car would you say is more valuable?

So basically, my car isn't as valuable as it was a few days ago, and it's open market selling price can not be the same as it was before it was damaged.
    Yes, it can and will be repaired and yes it will be funded by my insurance.. however, it's still devalued because it's been crashed and no matter how well it's repaired, a keen eye will always spot where it's been damaged. Therefore I don't feel I should have to pay the same amount as Joesoap, who may have a pristine condition car when mine has a huge ass dent in it because the open marking selling price of both cars is clearly going to be different.

- Anyways, this is a bit of a futile debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

3 values of vrt. the middle strand is generally what you get charged. I once was almost charged the top strand. I asked the girl what condition would it have to be in to get the bottom strand. " oh she said just the v5 and a cardbox full of parts" So I guess unless its in a cardboard box your getting the middle strand.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the OMSP is what cars like yours generally sell for. it's not a valuation on your car. If that were the case, they'd charge more VRT for silver cars, and green ones would get off lighter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭joy123

hi vartakill, will you let us know what happed to your vrt??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Why should you get a discount?? the car wasn't damaged when you brought it into the State was it?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    the OMSP is what cars like yours generally sell for. it's not a valuation on your car. If that were the case, they'd charge more VRT for silver cars, and green ones would get off lighter.

I kind of seen what you mean. However, the OMSP of my car now, as it stands, is not the same as if it was when not damaged.

If I were to have created this thread and said that I had bought a crashed car and was planning on VRTing it, and would I be charged less, would people's reactions be the same? It seems the oul Irish begrudgery is lurking around here with talks of ' discount' this and 'why should u get a discount' that. We shouldn't be paying the damn thing in the first place, so any way we can get relief from this tax should be encouraged.
    ninty9er wrote: »
    Why should you get a discount?? the car wasn't damaged when you brought it into the State was it?

True, but they don't know that.. :)

I've still not got it VRT'd yet. Will hopefully get it done sometime this week. Stupid vrt office closes for lunch so it's hard to make arrangements around work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Vertakill wrote: »
    I kind of seen what you mean. However, the OMSP of my car now, as it stands, is not the same as if it was when not damaged.

The OMSP is what cars "such as yours" are valued at for certain purposes. It should not be mistaken for the retail price or net realisable value.

ninty9er wrote: »
    The OMSP is what cars "such as yours" are valued at for certain purposes. It should not be mistaken for the retail price or net realisable value.

I don't understand what you mean by certain purposes? My car would be under the A bracket for Passenger Vehicles.

The OMSP is supposed to be taken on an individual/case by case basis, that's why we must enter all the details that would increase the OMSP of the car. ie. alloys/leather/specs etc. For example, they've been known to come out and view the car if they think that it has more gear than normal, in order to increase the cost to VRT it. So naturally, wouldn't I be entitled to bring them out and make them look at the things that would decrease the OMSP? Well, there must be if the cost drops depending on what category of damage you fall under.

Anyways, I'm just trying to arm myself with as much information as possible so when I do get time to go into VRT this that I won't just get fobbed off with some bs story.

Update:

Just thought I'd post about my situation with this.

They couldn't come out and assess the car as they were allegedly understaffed and very busy at the time, which is true.

However, the lady I was dealing with in the revenue office said that I could appeal the fee I was paying afterwards, with some before/after photo's of the damage and an itemised receipt of the repair.

Then if the appeal is accepted, I'd be reimbursed with whatever amount they deem is acceptable.

God only knows how long that'll take but there ya go!

Advertisement