Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

South America for 6 months

• 29-05-2008 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

can anyone give me a roundabout figure of how much spending money id need for south and central america?? planning on rio first, then uruguay, argentina, chile, peru, and then panama, costa rica, honduras and guatemala. dont really fancy columbia so probably fly to panama from lima or something.

would 8,000 euro be enough for spending money for all this? any info much appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

That's roughly 45 Euro average a day which is plenty from my experiences.

Guatemala is really cheap. You'd manage on 15 Euro or less a day. Honduras is also cheap but a little more expensive that Guatemala. Around 20 Euro a day. Costa Rica and Panama are the most expensive countries in Central America. Around 25-30 Euro a day.

Brazil is pretty expensive by South America standards. Especially accommodation. With Rio probably being the most expensive part. You could easily spend 40 Euro a day in Brazil. Uruguay is a cheaper than Brazil but a bit more expensive than Argentina. Around 20-30 Euro a day. Argentina is around 20-25 Euro a day but prices are rising in the past while aparently. Chile along with Brazil are 2 of the most expensive countries in South America. You could spend around 30 Euro a day. Peru is pretty cheap except for the main tourist areas of Lima and Cuzco. Around 15-20 Euro a day could do you.

All the above are based on roughly what i spent a day and that was almost 2 years ago at this stage. And they are also budget costs. Just the basic accommodation and food. Maybe a few drinks. But if you plan on drinking most nights and traveling around a lot you will spend way much more a day. The same if you plan on staying in nice hotels and eating in restaurants all the time. I drank most days but done it without going out on mad nights so you can keep costs down.

If you find you are spending a lot of money reduce time in Chile and go to Bolivia. Bolivia is a great country and lots to see and do. And Colombia isn't as dangerous as the media makes out. It would be like considering Ireland dangerous based solely on what happens in Limerick. The dangerous areas are easily avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭WiDGe->

cheers for the reply :)

i would be planning on drinking pretty much every day but wouldnt be going out every night - drinking in hostels would do me grand probably 3 or 4 nights a week. one other thing - how is the language barrier? im trying to learn a bit of spanish just to say some basic things but i dont think ill be anywhere near conversational level by the time i go. would i be better off going full steam ahead with proper language lessons or will a few phrases do? and is guyana any good? might go there just because they speak english for a change!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

WiDGe-> wrote: »
    cheers for the reply :)

i would be planning on drinking pretty much every day but wouldnt be going out every night - drinking in hostels would do me grand probably 3 or 4 nights a week. one other thing - how is the language barrier? im trying to learn a bit of spanish just to say some basic things but i dont think ill be anywhere near conversational level by the time i go. would i be better off going full steam ahead with proper language lessons or will a few phrases do? and is guyana any good? might go there just because they speak english for a change!

Definately try and learn as much spanish as possible, helps you getting ripped off at bus stations and at markets. When are you going? I did 2 sets of night classes and only had the basics going but picked up alot over there. A bit of dedication on your part over the summer and you could learn alot. I was in SA for 7 months and spent approx. 6,000 euros. This doesn't include flights, or Galapagos or Antarctica. Brazil is definately the most expensive, Peru and Boliva very cheap. 8,000 is lots but don't blow the budget in Rio.

Don't miss Boliva, go from Chile to Peru through Bolivia and it's a shame to miss Colombia; one of my favourite countries, the nicest people (genuinely pleased to see you, unlike the Pervians who just try and fleece you at every corner). From Cartagena in the north of Colombia you can go on yachts and sailing boats for about 5 days to Panama - supposed to be a great trip, I saw some amazing photos of people who'd done it. Stay at Casa Vienna in the Old City in Cartagena - the owner is Austrian and a mine of info about Colombia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Just one piece of advice.

Calculating the money you bring based on daily needs (e.g. 25 a day here, 30 a day there) is not a good idea and my see you short in the end.

You will have to contend with unforseeables and wanting to do things you hadn't planned on doing in the first place e.g. wanting to do a skydive on a whim or other activities. Also you have to be financially prepared for getting sick, hospital expenses etc.

You COULD get by on the amount you mentioned but try and bring more so you can do the things you never anticipated doing.

Enjoy. Tis the business over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

Neamhshuntasachs breakdown seems a good one to follow there.
    8,000 should definitely stretch the distance for you.
    Would be an idea to familarize yourself with a bit of Spanish before you go but you'll get by without but it does make for a better experience if you can interact with the locals a bit.

A.B.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Dont miss Colombia ! Fabulous place with fantastic ppl, its one of the highlights of South America, just go, you'll soon see why:)

Advertisement