Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speaking Of Aviation Events In Ireland........

Options
  • 29-05-2008 8:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭

Does anybody remember the Claddagh Air Race? Lots of Aircraft at EICM racing each other all day saturday and sunday flying low down the prom at Salthill and hard left turning out to sea to go to another way point, brilliant stuff sometimes they were neck n neck about 60ft off the deck!!:eek::) Why the hell did it stop?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭cp251

Never heard of it. But I imagine it no longer happens for pretty much the same reason there is no Salthill Airshow this year. Lack of sponsorship, insurance etc. Air racing it not the force it once was anyway.

On that note though. What a venue for a Red Bull air race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

Yeh! I remember them, watching them from my house. Never went out to get a closer look though, would be great to get them back again. Quite agree CP251, it would be a spectacular venue for the red bull races. The only problem I could see is that the organisers don't like anyone watching it unless you pay €50 or €60 a day. Because there are so many vantage points that can't be boarded off, like they did in London where they put up big screens and boarding to prevent the general public from seeing anything, I could'nt see them coming to Salthill. We can alllive in hope though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

cp251 wrote: »
    Never heard of it. But I imagine it no longer happens for pretty much the same reason there is no Salthill Airshow this year. Lack of sponsorship, insurance etc. Air racing it not the force it once was anyway.

On that note though. What a venue for a Red Bull air race.

It was around until about 8-10 years ago??? I think it just stopped, dont think it had any sponsors and was just a race!:)

Advertisement