Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are any banks doing 95% mortgages???

Options
  • 29-05-2008 9:14pm
    Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know??? Need help urgently!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Toots85 wrote: »
    Does anyone know??? Need help urgently!!

What what what????????? The bank won't give you one? The conservative bastards!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 MortgageBrkr

Unfortunately practically all of the banks have reduced their loan to value to 92%. You could try raising the extra finance you need in a credit union?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Don't mean to sound smart, but you know that housing crash that the anarchist wanted? Well it looks like they 're kind of getting their way. Now, even less people will be able to own their own home. That coupled with the international Credit Crisis (caused by the yanks) means 92% is the max a bank will consider and even then I think they would prefer an even lower LTV.

As mentioned, the credit option is one route that some people take. Many also borrow the rest from their parents. If the parents don't have that kind of cash lieing around (very few do!), then they can do an equity release on their own home (ie, if you needed 30K to make up the shortfall, then your parents would get a mortgage of just 30K on their own home, gie you the money and you make the repayments for them etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

Some banks, and some might say foolish ones, are still doing 100%.

You'd need absolute job security before they will even consider you though.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

stepbar wrote: »
    What what what????????? The bank won't give you one? The conservative bastards!!!!!!!

Hehehe! No I was lucky and got mine in the good old days of the 100% mortgage.

It's one of my friends got her 95% approved and signed the offer letter and all and then the bank turned around and said they're only doing 92% now so they can't have the 95% but they're supposed to be closing on their house in 2 weeks!! There's a difference of 15k and if they can't come up with the money they'll lose the house. I would have thought once everything had been signed the bank would have to honour it???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭DJDC

Earlier than 2004 I hope...otherwise you certainly aint lucky because the chances are you in are in negative equity!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Well I'm not planning on selling it anytime soon, or trying to borrow any money secured on it, so it doesn't really matter whether or not I'm in negative equity.

Anyhoo, back OT can anyone tell me what the chances are of the bank honouring their original offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

It's one of my friends got her 95% approved and signed the offer letter and all and then the bank turned around and said they're only doing 92% now so they can't have the 95% but they're supposed to be closing on their house in 2 weeks!! There's a difference of 15k and if they can't come up with the money they'll lose the house. I would have thought once everything had been signed the bank would have to honour it???

If true, thats illegal. A offer letter is a legally binding contract and the bank can not refuse it once signed.

I've only found this out about a month ago after i had issues. Contact you solicitor and get them to contact the bank.

DJDC wrote: »
    Earlier than 2004 I hope...otherwise you certainly aint lucky because the chances are you in are in negative equity!

Depending on the situation, negative equity is not the sinkhole that many commentators effusively harp about.

This sensationalism, and sweeping generalisation, is media fodder bought up by the masses.

To add to Bill's comment:

It is illegal for the bank to withdraw it if your friends had signed, and returned the offer to the lender, in the presence of their solicitor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Don't most banks have a time limit to draw funds from when the offer is signed?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭barrymac20

IIB homeloans. i think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

sofireland wrote: »
    Don't most banks have a time limit to draw funds from when the offer is signed?

Drawdown limits are normally,

House purchase: Six months,
    Self Build: Twelve months.

After that the mortgage must be re-sanctioned. Which is normally not a problem. A declaration is normally needed from the applicants to state there income has not changed etc, this might need salary certs etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

To add to Bill's comment:

It is illegal for the bank to withdraw it if your friends had signed, and returned the offer to the lender, in the presence of their solicitor.

Only if the docs do not contain a material adverse change clause, or similiar in the small print.

The other aspect is that the loan letter will specify an asset value and if the asset value is now less before draw down....

Signing in the presence of a solicitor has even credence now than it had, they are becoming a discredited profession

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

The bank are well within their rights to withdraw the offer, however the customer would be well within their rights to sue said bank (AFAIK due to the Consumer Credit Act).

Advertisement