Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying gear

• 29-05-2008 9:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭

hi, i did my open water last year and am hoping to do a few dives soon. i am looking to buy the gear but dont want to break the bank.i have a semi dry suite and fins, wat kind of money could i get set up for. b.c.d,tank, reg etc:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭brieny1000

thanks for that. wil do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

You could try divegear.ie theres a bit of stuff there on and off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

I've used scubastore.com for most of my gear .I would highly recommend them for both prices and service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Eascha

hi, i was thinking of getting gear from the states, because of the weak dollar, but does anyone know if tanks etc are compatible with those over here? just doing a little preliminary research ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Sure are compatible.Just not hydro tested.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

Not sure if you'd want to get cylinders from the US, I'm just thinking about the shipping charges for heavy items.

Regs, computers, guages, anything else should be compatible. Just remember though they use a funny relic of empire measurement system over there, so you'll have to learn all about psi's and feet and slugs and the like.

Other than that, the only other thing to remember is that duty may be applied to anything imported from the US (or anywhere outside the EEA).

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 398 ✭✭Benny-c

Eascha wrote: »
    hi, i was thinking of getting gear from the states, because of the weak dollar, but does anyone know if tanks etc are compatible with those over here? just doing a little preliminary research ;)

AFAIK it is not possible to transport tanks by air (pressure poses a hazard) & if you are shopping online they will be sent by DHL (or similar) so courier companies charge by weight so you could be in for a hefty bill:D.

It is also worth remembering that the USA uses imperial measurements there have been a few (though not many) of reg 1st stages being a fraction too small/large for metric tanks.

Benny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭chat2joe

Divegear.ie is growing! It's all used gear so should be good to grab a bargain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Eascha

ye thanks, i actually found what im looking for on divegear.ie

id recommend it to anyone, the people who i contacted were very friendly and helpful

• Advertisement
Advertisement