Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Martial Arts in Limerick

Options
  • 29-05-2008 10:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

What martial arts does Limerick have to offer? I did a bit of Muay Thai and Krav Maga in Cork but I'm moving to Limerick in 2 weeks and want to do some training.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

millsy5 wrote: »
    What martial arts does Limerick have to offer? I did a bit of Muay Thai and Krav Maga in Cork but I'm moving to Limerick in 2 weeks and want to do some training.

I go to the Waza Kai Jujitsu club in Pery Square in the city centre and its pretty good was just there this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 millsy5

I go to the Waza Kai Jujitsu club in Pery Square in the city centre and its pretty good was just there this evening.

What is that like? I've never done Jujitsu but my understanding of it is that it involves a lot of grappling and ground work. Is this correct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭dK1NG

A lot of kickboxing clubs here. All depends on your location, about 3 in the city centre and a few more on the outskirts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

if its of any interest
    Clasical fencing is also a martial art.
    Its not sports fencing as seen on the Olympics etc but its more
    the learning how things were done back in the days of duels etc
    and the skills used in real life back in that time. As well as learning
    the gentleman's code of honer.

http://www.skynet.ie/~nvl/lsa/

I used to do it twice a week for a year or two but am not a natural at it so became frustrated and lost interest.

But if you like French foil, Italian Rapier, Stick Fighting, Dusak, and possiblly a bit of saber, eppee and other stuff this may be for you. It may be worth noting too that some of the people doing this also do Field Archery too.

Its not roleplaying or re-enactment in any way its actually learning to use the tools/weapons/sidearms or whatever you would like to call them. that were used back in the day.
    ~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 millsy5

dK1NG wrote: »
    A lot of kickboxing clubs here. All depends on your location, about 3 in the city centre and a few more on the outskirts.

When you say 'kickboxing' do you actually mean kickboxing or thai-boxing? I know it may sound like a stupid question but people often get these styles mixed up. If you did mean kickboxing, do you know is there any muay thai clubs in limerick?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 ontheroad24/7

Anyone tried the Brazilian martial art of Capoeira? I trained for 2 yrs & the fitness & conditioning levels achieved are second to none. It's absolutely addictive: music, acrobatics, somersaults, take-downs, it's got the lot. Some of the movements are insane but surprisingly easy to learn. The Brazilian lads love it when the locals come to train with them, they're delighted that another person is discovering a part of their culture. Classes are held nationwide, in Dublin, Cork, Galway & Limerick. There are several groups operating here now but i was a member of Grupo Candeias, which is one of the largest in the world with approx. 15,000 members. Have a look at candeiasireland.com for classes, vids posted by members etc. Also search 'capoeira' on Youtube for some great vids.

Advertisement