Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Boy Racers hit a new low.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me

By quoting my whole post it makes it look like you're calling me stupid......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Phaetonman

stevec wrote: »
    I'm sure Mr. Darwin will be along sometime soon with your award.
    Darwin died a long time ago my child so don't be expecting him around any time soon.

And what if somebody has the same idea at the same time? Well firstly we'd both have to switch off our lights from a long way out which I don't do. Even then the probability of two people who did the exact same thing at different sides of a crossroads I estimated to be 1/2,700,000,000.
    Conclusions are that its a harmless enough thing to do and that I'm smarter than you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Phaetonman wrote: »
    Darwin died a long time ago my child so don't be expecting him around any time soon.

Don't worry, with driving like that you'll meet him soon enough.;)

I just told you how unlikely it would be for me to have an accident. Do you know I've never had one in over 7 years of driving.

If it makes all you goodie goodies feel better then yes you were right. I killed myself the first time I did this trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It must be the weather or something :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I just told you how unlikely it would be for me to have an accident. Do you know I've never had one in over 7 years of driving.

If it makes all you goodie goodies feel better then yes you were right. I killed myself the first time I did this trick.

Can you not see other cars lights when yours are on? You might need to get your eyes checked.

Oh and for the record, its a stupid thing to do.

Stekelly wrote: »
    Can you not see other cars lights when yours are on? You might need to get your eyes checked.
    Only a fool would tear through a roundabout or junction with their lights on at night. The probabilty of hitting another driver increases a massive amount.
    Oh and for the record, its a stupid thing to do.
    What record? There is no definitive record here so stop referencing one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

zAbbo wrote: »
    Yup, thats the truth.

It would also help if the media reported these incidents correctly, and not as tragedies.

No disrespect to families of those that died, but if the media accurately reported the incidents it would be better for all.

+1

these guys need to be shamed, not getting sympathy.

stupidity is the biggest killer on our roads, yet every single accident is described as just that - an accident.

cars don't kill people, drivers do.

What record? There is no definitive record here so stop referencing one.

My sentence is the record.

Stekelly wrote: »
    My sentence is the record.
    Your sentence was an opinion. Mine are facts.

PMAN 1 : SillySTE 0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Drag them out of the car.. Set fire to it.. Then give them a mother of a hiding with a hurley :mad:

And Not Liz Hurley :D

Your sentence was an opinion. Mine are facts.

Nope. turning off lights at junctions is in fact stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Phaetonman is defending something that is completely indefensible.

I hate nanny states but with people trying to justify something as reckless as this, I'm glad the EU wants to make day running lights compulsory on new cars across the entire EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

... the probability of two people who did the exact same thing at different sides of a crossroads I estimated to be 1/2,700,000,000.
    Conclusions are that its a harmless enough thing to do and that I'm smarter than you.

The chances of winning the Lotto are 1 to whatever million ...nonetheless it's won almost every week :D

Propagating that it is sensible / harmless to switch off your lights at night when driving (in whatever sitiuation) is reckless endangerment.

Another statement to that matter will earn you a ban ...and I mean that

peasant wrote: »
    The chances of winning the Lotto are 1 to whatever million ...nonetheless it's won almost every week :D

Propagating that it is sensible / harmless to switch off your lights at night when driving (in whatever sitiuation) is reckless endangerment.

Another statement to that matter will earn you a ban ...and I mean that
    Truth hurts doesn't it?

I've had this all my life. People hear what they don't want to and they have try to shut me up.

And your understanding of statistics is remedial at best.

Thing is ...I don't have to try :D

Banned for one week ...maybe you will see the light :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭GTC

Phaetonman, a stunt like that, with that attitude I'd have you up in court for dangerous driving and recommend disqualification.

Your qualification for such behaviour is nonsense, and propagating such drivel is moronic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Sadly, phateonman's been erased

Date of Ban |Banned Tard |Date of Ban Lift |Reason|Righteous Admin
    30-05-2008, 8:33 |Phaetonman |NEVER| Consider yourself ERASED. |CuLT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

stevec wrote: »
    Sadly, phateonman's been erased

Date of Ban |Banned Tard |Date of Ban Lift |Reason|Righteous Admin
    30-05-2008, 8:33 |Phaetonman |NEVER| Consider yourself ERASED. |CuLT

And rightfully so, but he / she will probably be back under another name with more crazy notions.

Any wonder these muppets are dying every weekend on our roads.

Although its good enough for them, as long as they don't take innocent people with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

Just read this thread now. :eek: I heard of some stupid things in my time and even with my interest in street racing history in Japan (where they do some fairly stupid stuff) and it strangely died off after innocent people died.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_racing
    The most notorious group to be associated with it was the Mid Night Club (which turned into a game based on the actual group) who gave street racing worldwide attention with its 300 km/h (190 mph) antics and was known for its high standards and organization until they were disbanded in 1999 following a fatal accident involving a group of motorcyclists.

I have to say this one takes the biscuit. What kind of a muppet tears down a road at night with the lights off. It makes no sense if they were truly in any way interested in improving driving skills in any way this makes no sense.

As someone who is actually a petrol head i cringe to think i would be associated in any way with the above muppets.

What can be done:

This problem was solved once before when the American Hot rod association opened tracks for legal racing. This happened in the 60s when Hot rodding was a problem on the streets. It worked for a while. The problems re appeared as during the 70s the oil crisis killed hot rodding and tracks closed. In the 90s the import scene appeared and now with nowhere to go history repeats itself.

The issue is that mondello charge 170-250 for track I don't see a young lad paying that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I heard of this happeing a few years back at a dangerous crossroads near Naas. The lad who was telling me about it thought he was a great lad until I told him what a moron he was and how I sincerely hoped that if he had a crash it was him that ended up paralysed and not the poor sod that he hit. Wiped the smile off his face pretty fast. I also told him if he hit me doing something like that that he better kill or incapacitate me cause if he didnt me and my cricket bat would personally make sure he never drove a car again...

I would also hope that if any of these idiots ever ended up in court that they would be charged with attempted murder and sentenced accordingly, because at the end of the day, its what it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

peasant wrote: »
    your pic is upside down
    Just turn your monitor upside down :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I know this is a radical idea and I'll probably get shot down for even suggesting it, but what about instead of turning off your lights and tearing through a junction flat out, why not consider this wildly insane stunt instead?

what about if you left your lights turned on and took your foot off the accelerator and put it onto that other pedal in the middle and used that to slow down to a point where you were going slow enough to give you plenty of time to react to anyone coming the other way and avoid hitting them?

maybe when there's one of those big solid lines with one of those big red lollipop things next to it you could even think about coming to a complete stop?

i know it's totally way out there as an idea, but why not give that a go?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Only a fool would tear through a roundabout or junction with their lights on at night. The probabilty of hitting another driver increases a massive amount.

This attitude is just so mental!
    I do a fair amount of night time driving on some really bad winding roads around north & west clare, never had an accident yet (driving 10 years average 20k p.a.) thank God Touch Wood!

Guess what i do when approaching a junction or roundabout or bad corner at night?

I know its pretty radical but it's quite simple really and it has saved my skin a few times.. i SLOW DOWN... Coming to an actual STOP at the junction & generally i give myself a minute to suss out if there are any fools around that are going to try & kill me (having windows down helps as u can hear the little boy racers a mile off)

As it happens i stopped at a junction near Milltown about 2 months ago and i was actually stationary for a few minutes as i was searching through my ipod for a particular playlist, a little boy racer sped through the junction at +80kph and would have killed me if i hadn't decided at that particular point to pull up & fiddle with the ipod!
    Same muppet ran his car off the road a few miles further along, wasn't hurt car was written off though, have to say when i pulled up 2 offer assistance & realised he wasn't injured i was sorely tempted to read him the riot act about his driving but i'm hoping Mammy & daddy might have done that when he got home minus the car!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

By quoting my whole post it makes it look like you're calling me stupid......

No I'm not calling you stupid, I was referring to the people who turn off their lights while driving at night. It is clear from your post that you do not do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

It's kind of funny how people, myself included, have a complete dislike of boy racers. I guess it's because most of us have been put into a situation by a boy racer whilst driving where we almost had an accident.

They really should be strapped into their cars and pushed off a cliff, then the roads would be safer for everyone else.

We see so many reports on the news of people dying on the roads, just look at what happened this past weekend. Let's be honest, how many of the accidents reported all the time are genuine accidents and how many others were because someone was speeding/driving dangerously?

If I had to bet, I'd say the large majority are caused by people speeding. This isn't just boy racers, yet they seem to be the most guilty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

If I had to bet, I'd say the large majority are caused by people speeding.

You've been listening to Uncle Gaybo again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

turning off lights (at junctions, or anywhere else for that matter) is the most ridiculous thing i ever heard.

i mean wtf...
    :confused:

boy racers are just tools of the highest order, they seem to be like malaria and spreading up more and more.

they should be culled, along with their 1.2 litre cars and 100dB back boxes.

I also bet they have IQ levels consistent with dogs or cats.

legs11 wrote: »

I also bet they have IQ levels consistent with dogs or cats.

That's an insult !!

On behalf of my dogs and cats, consider yourself warned :D:D:D

Seriously though ...just insulting these "boyracers" isn't going to solve anything either.

Somehow the message has to get through to them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Yeah, but unfortunately I don't think anything get's through to them. The cops can't be everywhere following these wee pricks so I don't know what else can be done. I guess they could have their cars taken off them. I mean it's easy enough to seize cars for non payment of VRT. So let the cops lift the cars of these boy racers and impound them. And slap on a huge fee in order to get the car out. I agree with an earlier post that they should be charged with attempted murder where they cause accidents due to speed and reckless driving, rather than some crappy watered down driving with their indicators on charge, and then get off scot free with some stupid restriction like not being allowed to drive faster than 45 mph.

But I guess if their cars are impounded they will just go steal another one, as I doubt any of them work for a living :)

Advertisement