Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steel in floor screed.

• 29-05-2008 11:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭

Hi,

My engineer sent me a drawing of the rising wall and concrete floor detail for a timber frame house and included in the concrete floor is a412 mesh. My builder doesnt see any need for this mesh.

Can anybody help me on this?

Thanks
    cwboy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

cwboy wrote: »
    Hi,

My engineer sent me a drawing of the rising wall and concrete floor detail for a timber frame house and included in the concrete floor is a412 mesh. My builder doesnt see any need for this mesh.

Can anybody help me on this?

Thanks
    cwboy
    I'm assuming here that your engineer will be signing off on this. If so, tell your builder to stick to building and let the engineer do the specifying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭construct06

builders think differently than engineers.

engineer - probably conservative but safe.

builder - probably skips a few corners here and there and he has probably done floors before without mesh andgotten away with it. experience is a factor also but ultimately, better be safe than sorry.

i know most people dont like spending money on the underground hidden stuff but think of the cost in terms of a bathroom suite or furniture.....might make it easier. also easyto fix stuff overground, but underground if possible, but with major cost.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

I agree with Smashey and Construct06.
    No point in retaining an Engineer if you are going to ignore his / her advice.
    The mesh is cheap when compared to the cost of repairing the slab, should it fail! Listen to your Engineer. Better safe than very sorry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,324 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Fully agree with above posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭SillyMonkey

Agree with the lads above.

I am building a concrete home at the mo. recently I was putting in my first pour for the concrete floor (then insulation then screed with UFH). The architect forgot to put in the screed in the drawings so the way it ended up I lost about an inch in the first pour.

Doesn't sound like much but the architect and engineer both agreed that steel mesh was needs in the first pour. When I asked why they said it would strengthen the floor less chance of cracks. Just like when the foundation was being poured steel mesh was put in there also. Less likely cracks in the wall.

Just my two cents.

• Advertisement
Advertisement