Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Orbital

• 30-05-2008 12:09am
    Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭

Seeing as they were brought up in the Prodigy thread, it sent me off on a memory buzz and looked up some tunes on youtube. Lets have an 'Orbital Appreciation Thread' :D They deserve it, should even be a sticky!!!

'Kein Trink Wasser' has always been one of my favourite tunes from Orbital and I thought I'd stick up the live version from Glastonbury... an absolutely amazing tune.

Kein Trink Wasser (Live)

Kein Trink Wasser

Lots more of course but I have to hit the hay... so over to you (whoever you are) Sorry, I have had some Thursday beers :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ROBDOW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

im in work so cant see what the youtube ones are,

my fav orbital without a doubt is halcyon (and on)

wat a track..serious tune

if anyone wants i can upload their last ever set, performed in bbc studios, think it was maide vaile.

i have the whole set and its a great set.

cant upload tonight as im at the man like, sasha

copeyhagen wrote: »
    my fav orbital without a doubt is halcyon (and on)

It's gotta be considered amongst the finest tracks ever.

Although it's a bit on the obvious side and probably namechecked by loads, Chime is still outstanding. Simon Reynolds book 'Energy Flash' contains a marvellous analysis of it, the intro, the way it kicks in etc.

yeh agree 100%, wat a tune, freaked i never got to see them live. have heard loads of their live sh1t though, and chimes and belfast are two songs which sounded great live..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Used to have a few of their gigs from the point on tape. Remember listening to them before Music class Leaving cert year in school with a few of the lads. Turned a fair few of the school music snobs on to them. Id love to have those sets now. Remember one had a strange edit of a Belinda Carlyle song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

MikeHoncho wrote: »
    Used to have a few of their gigs from the point on tape. Remember listening to them before Music class Leaving cert year in school with a few of the lads. Turned a fair few of the school music snobs on to them. Id love to have those sets now. Remember one had a strange edit of a Belinda Carlyle song.

Belinda Carlisle 'Heaven is a place on Earth' + Bon Jovi 'Livin on a Prayer' as intro to Halycon was a thing they did live any time I saw them.

In later years they added The Darkness 'I believe in a thing called Love' as well

wat kev said above, in the last gig they done that i have the version of halcyon they play has both them samples in it.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Halcyon definitely one of their best, lots of bests though with Orbital!

I was surprised not to be able to find Halcyon Live on youtube so stuck it up myself... no fancy videos unfortunately from me, just music and a still :pac:

Will never forget hearing them do this in the Point in 1996. I know it's relatively well known now but to hear this live without knowing what they were going to do was simply amazing, last thing you expect to hear in that state -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Orbital are amazing, in the 3 times ive seen them live every time they blew me away,i was fortunate enough to catch their last ever performance in Ireland before they retired at ****** a few years back and what a nite that was, they were by far and away the highlight of ****** that year.

id love to see them reform and release new material, the word legend is an overused phrase used in dance music circles but Orbital really are true legend's of the scene.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Beached

Just found this thread on a search on Orbital, My favoutite band of all time. From the first time seeing the Box on no Disco (i think) right up till today and just buying the Live from Glastonbury compliation. First album I bought was In Sides, still think its my favourite, I love The Girl with the Sun in her Head. Have all the studio albums bar the Brown album, Halcyon, Belfast,and Satan are legendary.
    Gotta say that of all their material, I think that the last tune on the Last album, One perfect Sunrise, is my all time favourite. Felt like the band saying goodbye to me.
    Only saw them once, that last gig in W****** in 04. All my friends went to see Kings of Leon basically stand on stage that evening. I headed over to see orbital play the best gig of the weekend on my own (awwww). It was outstanding. Cant remember what their last tune was that night, Anyone remember, would love if it was One Perfect Sunrise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

"Are We Here?" is one of my many favourites of theirs. The bit when the tune finally breaks is made even sweeter by the long build up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Entec

amazing band , belfast is still one of my fave tracks of all time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

Hey guys, first post in any of the music forums!

I've just started listening to Orbital. Bought the brown album and got completely hooked. I've got about €18 left on a 3v voucher and I'm thinking of splashing out on either Snivilisation or Orbital I. Any recommendations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

I've just started listening to Orbital. Bought the brown album and got completely hooked. I've got about €18 left on a 3v voucher and I'm thinking of splashing out on either Snivilisation or Orbital I. Any recommendations?

Try 'Insides' man, it really is one of the most accomplished albums I've ever heard, not a bad noise on the cd.

I'm actually blasting out the full 2 song stretch of 'the box' at the moment and eagerly awaiting 'Out There Somewhere.' This is what listening to music is all about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

the Box is a great piece(s)...I have it on single, it comes in 4 parts I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭phoenix2181

yep the box comes in 4 parts, roughly 28mins altogether, another great track is the Belfast/Wasted mix...fantastic stuff...been a massive fan of Orbital since Sniv came out...

I thought the blue album (last album) was a return to the old Orbital ways, much better then the Altogether & the middle of Nowhere...

The live at Glastonbury album is well worth picking up...live tracks & even a live dvd all for under 20 euros...cheap as chips

Come home Badger! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭axiom32

got a dvd albumn recently in amsterdam off all their live sets at glastonbury well worth the cash so go look for that

soory in my haste didn;t see above post

i love the video off the box, the chick in the mad hat walkin around at nighttime and everything around her is moving in fast forward..

very good track.

btw i think its a chick?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭axiom32

Kein Trink Wasser has again jus tingled up and down my spine
    the neighbours are getting full on when i get home.......do ye seeing as its summer solstice on saturday think we could all synchronise to play it at an agreed time around sunset **** wud be to much for some of us old ravers but id risk it for the flashbacks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Thread bump :D
    Orbitals new website
    http://orbitalofficial.com/

YouTube link for last weeks DJ set @ Glastonbury..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyIaCwzDXf0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Good thread, thanks. I remember catching them in The Point with Carl Cox supporting around 95ish. Brilliant gig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭JCarey70

Played this at the Asylum Reunion gig last Sat night in the VIP area. Its all about the break @ 2:52. Talk about being floored. Genius Electronic Music making!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSZmQdvJA6A

Also love Belfast.

SteoL wrote: »
    Good thread, thanks. I remember catching them in The Point with Carl Cox supporting around 95ish. Brilliant gig.

Big time mate that was one of if not the best ever gig in this country, in fact that whole weekend was one of the best weekend ever, on the Sunday i went to see Goldie/Metalheadz also in the Point, amazing night too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

I only discovered this tune last week on an R&S Records compilation. It's one half of Orbital

It's a pity today that such melodic music is frowned upon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭xdeletiax

is it? the lone remix of that is great too!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 337 ✭✭Sacred_git

JCarey70 wrote: »
    Played this at the Asylum Reunion gig last Sat night in the VIP area. Its all about the break @ 2:52. Talk about being floored. Genius Electronic Music making!!!

Also love Belfast.

far from genius mate, good but definitely not genius, the start up to the break is quite rubbish, however they have produced some epic tunes in their time, this aint one of them though!

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I only discovered this tune last week on an R&S Records compilation. It's one half of Orbital

It's a pity today that such melodic music is frowned upon

Is it frowned upon? Shame on them frowners...

Yeah it was always a interesting thing that Kinetic was actually by Orbital - I remember a few years ago then their kind of acknowledgment by way of 'Frenetic' which just added some vocals, great track too.

Sacred_git wrote: »
    far from genius mate, good but definitely not genius, the start up to the break is quite rubbish, however they have produced some epic tunes in their time, this aint one of them though!

Fck me each to their own so, I have loved this track ever since I first heard it back when it came out and still consider it one of the best from Orbital, the intro is unreal.

May I have my opinion back please? Jeese... :rolleyes:

Anyway, I was referring to the break mate, not the build up. And just because you don't hear genius doesn't mean its not genius. Beauty is in the ear of the beholder etc. There are plenty of tracks that some people really like that I just don't get but I don't tell them that their opinion of the track is not right. If they hear something they really like then I leave them alone to like it. I love this track and I still think its genius. If you don't agree then fine, but don't tell me its not genius when to me it is. Thanks...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

Also love Belfast.

My Favorite tune is,

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭SEANYBOY1

MikeHoncho wrote: »

Yeah that was a mix of Heaven is a Place on Earth. I seen them in the Point in either 94 or 95, they were on with Carl Cox and boy do they put on a show, brilliant it was.

May I have my opinion back please? Jeese... :rolleyes:

Anyway, I was referring to the break mate, not the build up. And just because you don't hear genius doesn't mean its not genius. Beauty is in the ear of the beholder etc. There are plenty of tracks that some people really like that I just don't get but I don't tell them that their opinion of the track is not right. If they hear something they really like then I leave them alone to like it. I love this track and I still think its genius. If you don't agree then fine, but don't tell me its not genius when to me it is. Thanks...

fair enough mate - check out Bonavox on lower henry street, perfect for your ears :)

fair enough mate - check out Bonavox on lower henry street, perfect for your ears :)

Bigotry will get you nowhere mate. Plus I noticed that you didn't actually put up any examples of what you regard as genius on this thread yet. By all means indulge us. This I gotta hear...

Another piece of genius from Orbital..

Orbital - Chimes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzYoAGxI8zs

Love the way Joey Beltram samples it and loops it for the break in his track Subsonic Trance @ 1:46... Genius... ;)

Joey Beltram - Subsonic Trance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEX_aNA3-gE&feature

Bigotry will get you nowhere mate. Plus I noticed that you didn't actually put up any examples of what you regard as genius on this thread yet. By all means indulge us. This I gotta hear...

genius electronic music???? ---> heres one that immediately comes to mind, now this is just exceptional!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fmo1Sjn7dg

chime is a good track, you are learning, been to bonavox today ha

• Advertisement

genius electronic music???? ---> heres one that immediately comes to mind, now this is just exceptional!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fmo1Sjn7dg

chime is a good track, you are learning, been to bonavox today ha

WOW!! Bigotry and dyslexia. You're a man of many talents. This is the 'Orbital' thread mate, Aphex (as good as that track is although not one of his best IMO) doesn't belong in here unless the track can be linked to Orbital in some way. Can it?

Re the Bonavox thing, starting to sound old, any new material?

apparently orbital might be playing at this: http://www.fairyhillfestival.com/

xdeletiax wrote: »
    apparently orbital might be playing at this: http://www.fairyhillfestival.com/

nothing on that website saying they will where did you hear this?

I'm there if they do anyway...

theyv been dropping hints on their facebook and mentioned it on irishclubbing.ie

WOW!! Bigotry and dyslexia. You're a man of many talents. This is the 'Orbital' thread mate, Aphex (as good as that track is although not one of his best IMO) doesn't belong in here unless the track can be linked to Orbital in some way. Can it?

Re the Bonavox thing, starting to sound old, any new material?

course its linked to Orbital, his showing them how it should be done :)

out there somewhere, in sides, the box are far better tracks than the ones you posted, probably their best work. Don't get me wrong mate, i like orbital a lot, i just disagree with your opinions, i'm just trying to enlighten you:cool:

• Advertisement

course its linked to Orbital, his showing them how it should be done :)

out there somewhere, in sides, the box are far better tracks than the ones you posted, probably their best work. Don't get me wrong mate, i like orbital a lot, i just disagree with your opinions, i'm just trying to enlighten you:cool:

Well then while I'm waiting on you to enlighten me let me educate you.

All you had to do was post the tracks you think are better than the ones I posted and fill me in on why you think so. Instead you took the knob jockey route of putting my opinion down to make yourself look good without even posting a track selection. That's not how its done mate. Read the charter:

"Genral Rule of Thumb
    .... Respect other posters. If you disagree with a post, attack the post not the poster. "

And the best way to attack my posts in this thread would have been to go one better than me with your Orbital track selection instead of acting like a knob and attacking me and my opinion. This thread actually started off with the track I bumped it with. I also big'd up 'Belfast' and 'Chimes' which you also disagree with. So I can only conclude that your not really in here for the music but to troll. But by all means, please enlighten me with the better Orbital tracks and why you think so, I will be the first one to admit that I am not above enlightening, I welcome it with open arms.

Well then while I'm waiting on you to enlighten me let me educate you.

All you had to do was post the tracks you think are better than the ones I posted and fill me in on why you think so. Instead you took the knob jockey route of putting my opinion down to make yourself look good without even posting a track selection. That's not how its done mate. Read the charter:

"Genral Rule of Thumb
    .... Respect other posters. If you disagree with a post, attack the post not the poster. "

And the best way to attack my posts in this thread would have been to go one better than me with your Orbital track selection instead of acting like a knob and attacking me and my opinion. This thread actually started off with the track I bumped it with. I also big'd up 'Belfast' and 'Chimes' which you also disagree with. So I can only conclude that your not really in here for the music but to troll. But by all means, please enlighten me with the better Orbital tracks and why you think so, I will be the first one to admit that I am not above enlightening, I welcome it with open arms.
    wow your quite insane eh and a stickler for rules, being a dj from Finglas, how times are a changing!

wow your quite insane eh and a stickler for rules, being a dj from Finglas, how times are a changing!

In fairness you are being a bit of a spoon about it, hes only asking you to tell him waht you think is great from them & not to rubbish anyone elses taste, but sure your entitled to that stance if you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

loved these guys since seeing them close Féile 95. The Box EP is an excellent one for the collection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭francois

loved these guys since seeing them close Féile 95. The Box EP is an excellent one for the collection.

That was some gig, the dance tent was aslo great Clarke Garnier and the chemicals stormed the place

Jesus, 1995, not sure which venue it was now but it was either sides or the waterfronts imminent closure meant it was hard going for mme to be got outside of dublin for even 1 weekend!!!

Francois, enlighten me as to when the waterfront closed please for my own records?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

In fairness you are being a bit of a spoon about it, hes only asking you to tell him waht you think is great from them & not to rubbish anyone elses taste, but sure your entitled to that stance if you want.

Hey Key and J, don't even bother replying to that Troll :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭francois

Jesus, 1995, not sure which venue it was now but it was either sides or the waterfronts imminent closure meant it was hard going for mme to be got outside of dublin for even 1 weekend!!!

Francois, enlighten me as to when the waterfront closed please for my own records?

The UFO/alien/unknown pleasures nights finished in '96, power FM ran some stuff till 97 but closed then

francois wrote: »
    The UFO/alien/unknown pleasures nights finished in '96, power FM ran some stuff till 97 but closed then

Ah no, i know for sure i didnt keep on going there till 97, the buzz was amazing in the place when it was in mid life & you & timmy had the place bursting at the seams.

I said it before, one of the best raves ever in dublin to this day. Without a doubt in the top 5, first two for sure, last three in contention with each other for position,

1. ASYLUM,
    2. SIDES,

?. WATERFRONT,
    ?. OLYMPIC,
    ?. ORMOND.

Hey Key and J, don't even bother replying to that Troll :D

The troll is getting ignored as of now. If he snaps out of it I'll un-ignore him but he appears to have a child's mind so I won't hold me breath... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement