Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small Press leaning towards Graphic Novels or Comics

Options
  • 30-05-2008 12:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hey just opening up to Small Press and indie peeps...

Noticing that a few of the small press and indie's are coming out with Graphic Novels rather than just normal comics... is this how things are going?

I know that at the moment I've stopped buying comics and just buy graphic novels.

Wondering what everyone things...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

yes alot of the small press publishers have been moving towards publishing graphic novels over floppies as they aren't as limited with their distrabution options with graphic novels. With floppies theres pretty much only Diamond for direct market distrabution but with Graphic Novels they can go via a number of the book wholesale distrabutors - if you listen to the latest ep of the podcast indie spinner rack they talk alot about diamond and distrabution of comics in north america and speak with Chris Pitzer of Ad House books who talks a little bit about it.

There is alo the view that people who do indie comics produce a comic because they have a story to tell thats usually self contained rather then on going [not saying there aren't some great on going indie titles out there] Given the cost of printing and effort that goes into marketing a book I know alot of creators who feel better promoting a finished book over one or two issues of an on going series. There is also the gap between issues when it comes to small press - you don't have the big machine of marvel or DC behind you so getting a book out monthly is near impossible and people get bored very quickly and forget about your book. Becky Clonan talked alot about how she was annoyed at the gap between volumes one and two of East coast rising as alot of people who'd be really excited about the first one had all but forgot about it when volume two finally made it to print [nearly two years later]

Some small press people are very good with managing their time and bringing stuff out regular - the likes of Liz Baillie's "My Brian Hurts" or Alec Longstreth's "Phase 7" - so it can be done but I think you need to be [a] very consistent with the quality of work [seen lots of fantastic issues 1's and then a massive drop in art/writing/storytelling for issue 2 as they've tired to rush it out] and put the work in promoting said comic [Liz Baillie and Alec Longstreth would be great examples of people who really put the effort in hitting cons, trading comics, getting their stuff into stores, Alec is currently based in new york and I've seen his stuff for sale in shops in Belgium and he has never used Diamond or any other distrabutor]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 chebbo

Yes we are now moving onto Graphic Novels more than comics.

They are much easier to market/ distribute, and have an infinite self life.

Shane
    www.scarcomics.com

Advertisement