Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Test waiting times now down to average of 8.2 weeks

Options
  • 30-05-2008 1:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

http://www.drivingtest.ie/frameset.html

This is fantastic work! Well done to the RSA for getting their act together- they have now beaten their average 10 week target!

The shortest waiting times are 6 weeks and longest are 12 weeks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

well thats lovely, but with a 6month waiting rule before you can even do your test, what's the point :\

Grand for people who've been driving for ages alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Now people on provisionals who've been bitching bout waiting times etc will have to put up or shut up!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

This is fantastic work! Well done to the RSA for getting their act together- they have now beaten their average 10 week target!

The shortest waiting times are 6 weeks and longest are 12 weeks.

but aren't the average waiting times made up from all the driving categories and not just the B category - so they aren't really an indication of the waiting times?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ztoical wrote: »
    but aren't the average waiting times made up from all the driving categories and not just the B category - so they aren't really an indication of the waiting times?
    Are you implying that those who are on waiting lists for categories other than category B aren't really on waiting lists and therefore should be ignored? :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

kmart6 wrote: »
    Now people on provisionals who've been bitching bout waiting times etc will have to put up or shut up!

Aye.... I made the plunge the other day.

What's the story with reapplying if you fail? Do you just go back on the list or is there a time limit before you can reapply?

I'm a little bit nervous with these new unaccompanied driver rules due to come into force!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

Hanley wrote: »
    Aye.... I made the plunge the other day.

What's the story with reapplying if you fail? Do you just go back on the list or is there a time limit before you can reapply?

I'm a little bit nervous with these new unaccompanied driver rules due to come into force!!

re-apply straight away. fill in the form the day before the test. it would be depressing having to fill it in after having failed your test. i don't know if they willl make you sit around and wait 6 months though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

well thats lovely, but with a 6month waiting rule before you can even do your test, what's the point :\

Grand for people who've been driving for ages alright.

Yeah lets throw someone on the streets who does not have the experience to be given a full licence. you cant be serious. I got my licence after six months of driving and i think its the minimum required to be competent on the road. I wouldnt have minded even if it was a year to be honest as many deaths occur with young drivers and we need to make a change to have more educated drivers

Its not a perfect system but better than having idiots on the road on their own the day they get their learners permit and not having a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

I failed my test april 28th with SGS still waiting to hear about next one reapplied that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Are you implying that those who are on waiting lists for categories other than category B aren't really on waiting lists and therefore should be ignored? :confused:

no not at all - just alot of people think the waiting lists that are posted online is just the waiting list for category B when [and please correct me if I'm wrong] its the waiting list for all driving tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

a b cat licence is the most common and shouldnt be mixed with the waiting list for A,C, D etc licences, there isnt as many as these, it just looks like an attempt to massage figures, they should give the waiting times per category, but i wonder why they dont

• Advertisement

Nuttzz wrote: »
    a b cat licence is the most common and shouldnt be mixed with the waiting list for A,C, D etc licences, there isnt as many as these, it just looks like an attempt to massage figures, they should give the waiting times per category, but i wonder why they dont
    The people who are waiting for tests in category C, CE, D1 and D usually require a Driving Licence to gain employment and are arguably more entitled to a test date than category B drivers. I cannot understand why some people think they should be ignored.

Some category B drivers tell use that they need a Driving Licence to get to work. Catergory C/CE/D1/D drivers usually require a licence to be able to work! Have you ever heard of a haulage company or bus company who employ Provisional Licence/Learner Permit holders?

The RSA have never claimed that their waiting lists times are only applicable to one category and anyone who thinks so can only blame their own ignorance. Think outside the box for a change!

I agree totally that category B applications are the most common and probably account for 90% of all applications but that only strengthens my argument. If category B applications account for 90% of all applications, then it can be safely assumed that the other 10% will not drastically affect the overall figure. Indeed , it would seem, from threads posted here recently, that the waiting times for Category A tests have increased substantially. This would lead to an overall rise in average waiting times.

I'm not saying they should be ignored, just that the waiting time for every category should be listed, not just an average time. I suspect they dont because the wait times for C&D licences are probably shorter than B licences and help bring the average down

Nuttzz wrote: »
    I suspect they dont because the wait times for C&D licences are probably shorter than B licences and help bring the average down
    I'd safely say that the waiting times for tractors, motorcycles, truck and buses is now longer that the waiting times for category B vehicles. There are two main reasons for this.

1. SGS only carry out category B tests and therefore, they will not have any impact on existing waiting times for the other categories.

2. The examiners who do tests on the larger vehicles are much more 'flexible', as they are, by default, also qualified to do category B vehicles. However it doesn't work the other way around. The majority of those examiners who do B tests are not qualified to do any other tests.

I'd say that if the RSA published a breakdown of the waiting lists in each category, the B waiting times would be below average.

Their goal was to reduce the average waiting times for driving tests, not the waiting times for category B tests only.

it would be nice if they told us rather than having us resort to guessing :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Finglas cancelled my test, the day before and i have to wait 10 weeks for a new test date (june).

my friends boyfriend applied and a received a date within 5 weeeks.

if i fail this bloody thing i am putting a letter of complain for having to wait 9 weeks after they cancelled my test, i begged them for a cancelation and they said no - <SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I think the next thing they will have to add to thier application form is a section for a date of obtaining licence. I know a fella who had to get his test changed twice as they gave it to him before his six months were up. Twice

• Registered Users Posts: 20 mrs munch 2000

I know a fella who had to get his test changed twice as they gave it to him before his six months were up.

My nephew had this happen too (just the once!) the test was cancelled on him, they said he couldn't reschedule AND that he would have to wait 3 months before he could reapply :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

My nephew had this happen too (just the once!) the test was cancelled on him, they said he couldn't reschedule AND that he would have to wait 3 months before he could reapply :confused::confused:

Obviously your nephew's license was only issued 3 months ago. You must have held your learners permit for 6 months on the day of your test.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 mrs munch 2000

No - his permit was issued in December. His 6 months were up in June, he applied when his instructor told him. The test was scheduled a week before the 6 month period was up & they wouldn't let him reschedule. That's what I don't understand, or why they would make him wait 3 months to reapply.

Would it be rocket science to link their own systems so that a test can't be scheduled within 6 months of a learners permit being issued :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I have been on a waiting list for much monger than 12 weeks, and have to wait a further 5 until my test appointment, so I dont see where they are getting these figures from

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

The waiting times are now down to an average of 7.7 weeks

With some centres as low as 4 weeks!

The pass rates have gone up- it used to be on average 49/50% but has now gone up to 57. Individual centres fluctuates between 44 and 64.

The waiting times are now down to an average of 7.7 weeks

With some centres as low as 4 weeks!

The pass rates have gone up- it used to be on average 49/50% but has now gone up to 57. Individual centres fluctuates between 44 and 64.

U seem to know ur stuff. I've a quick question if u don't mind. I applied for mine a few months back, and my six months are up on the 22nd of July, any idea on how i can find out if mine application is being processed or when i'll know etc. etc. Merci beaucoup:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

U seem to know ur stuff. I've a quick question if u don't mind. I applied for mine a few months back, and my six months are up on the 22nd of July, any idea on how i can find out if mine application is being processed or when i'll know etc. etc. Merci beaucoup:D

You should give them a ring, tell them you can take a test on 22 July or after. You're meant to get a letter to say they have your application, although I didn't. I applied in November and was tested the end of May although they did offer me the end of April, but I hadn't passed the 6 months so had to say no.

I know a fella who had to get his test changed twice as they gave it to him before his six months were up. Twice
    My nephew had this happen too (just the once!) the test was cancelled on him
    Would it be rocket science to link their own systems so that a test can't be scheduled within 6 months of a learners permit being issued :rolleyes:
    Why don't the applicants use the "Any Additional Information" section of the application form to inform the RSA that they can't be scheduled to do a test before a given date?

It's hardly rocket science!!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭RoseBlossom

Those are the pass rates for 2007 (the old ones were for 2006, it was so annoying!). I wouldn't be surprised if the 2008 pass rate turns out to be even higher on average... although the pass rate at my test centre has dropped about 5%, every silver lining having a cloud and all!

I wonder is there any correlation between the old pass rate and the length of the waiting list? i.e. long waiting list 2006 -> high pass rate 2007 (to get rid of it).

I wonder is there any correlation between the old pass rate and the length of the waiting list? i.e. long waiting list 2006 -> high pass rate 2007 (to get rid of it).
    I'd say it has more to do with people taking the test more seriously and preparing for it rather than the previous attitude whereby many learners went through the motions safe in the knowledge that they can keep driving away anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

I wonder is there any correlation between the new pass rates and now having a real incentive to not fail.:rolleyes:

Why don't the applicants use the "Any Additional Information" section of the application form to inform the RSA that they can't be scheduled to do a test before a given date?

It's hardly rocket science!!

HAH! That's exaclty what i did and it worked:p Go me:D... I got my letter today, for it for the 13th of August, so i rang them and got it for the 29th of July. I have one more call left but i don't want to chance it incase i get a bad date (you are only allowed to ring them twice to change it, after that they delete your name and you have to apply again)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 debbie72

i applied 8wks ago and have heard nothing back as for the rsa at the moment there is almost 200,000 on the waiting list so it would take a miricale to clear them in 36hrs:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

debbie72 wrote: »
    i applied 8wks ago and have heard nothing back as for the rsa at the moment there is almost 200,000 on the waiting list so it would take a miricale to clear them in 36hrs:mad:
    But of the 200k how many of then are 2nd provisionsl licence holders? They are the only ones for whom something is changing. The numbers of 1st and 3rd licence holders is irrelevent as nothing is changing for them anyway.

MrP

Advertisement