Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Wow..annoying(brake problem)

Options
  • 30-05-2008 1:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭

Ok, so got the car back today from the main renault dealer after a service..(great job too, very friendly staff and great customer service)

However..after driving it for a wheel I noticed the brake pedal getting really light..forward on 3 or 4 miles and I stop..the handbrake automatically comes on even though it's down. Car unmovable.
    Dealer said they tightened the handbrake and adjusted it as much as they could so... could they have just done it too tight?

What's going on? what's the problem? :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

could easily be a faulty sensor doubt it especially as they tightened the cable
    but also they might have tightened it too much, pull up the gaitor should loosen easily and youll see a bolt loosen it up a bit see if the problem goes away. WARNING this will make youre handbrake less effective and should really be taken to a garage if you dont feel confident in doing it yourself
    but it in gear to prevent it rolling away

handbrakes get to a stage where adjusting them isnt really as effective as it might have once been and the cable needs replacing, they can be adjusted at the hub also

sorry for the not very good reply but meh its morning and Im tired

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

what do you mean by the pedal going light?

TBH, dont mess with it, call the garage and take it back to em. They may have overadjusted the handbrake, or it may have become stuck. Either case, the ABS generally doesnt apply on the handbrake, so I'd be getting back to them ASAP in you case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Going by your description it sounds like the dealer made a bullocks of your brakes. The footbrake "going light" could be caused by the fluid reservoir emptying, so either the fluid was changed and not replaced properly or it is leaking out somewhere. Handbrakes don't normally apply themselves, but I'd imagine it's possible that if it was overadjusted the shoes might have been rubbing as you drove, resulting in severe overheating that caused them to sieze to the drums when you stopped. In that case I'd expect there to be a strong burning smell.

Whatever, I would strongly advise against trying to drive the car back to the dealer since if your brakes are in that condition doing so would be highly dangerous. If you had an accident the law would crucify you, and you might injure or kill yourself or someone else. You would also release the dealer from a lot of their responsibility as they will say you have made it worse by driving it. Personally I would contact them, tell them the car is undriveable and dangerous, and that you require them to recover it and fix it, including replacing the drums if they have been overheated. If you are an AA member, also ask them for help.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

ART6 wrote: »
    but I'd imagine it's possible that if it was overadjusted the shoes might have been rubbing as you drove, resulting in severe overheating that caused them to sieze to the drums when you stopped.

Id say thats the closest to whats happened, no need for panic stations though youre front brakes do the majority of braking and youre handbrake has no bearing on this

does youre pedal feel lighter until about half way then feels more normal?

just seen youre name there op:D Id love one
    or even a 172

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

woop wrote: »
    Id say thats the closest to whats happened, no need for panic stations though youre front brakes do the majority of braking and youre handbrake has no bearing on this

does youre pedal feel lighter until about half way then feels more normal?

just seen youre name there op:D Id love one
    or even a 172

I don't have one don't be jealous ;)
    Just a 16v is all..nippy enough.
    Getting a 172 in the next 2 months..:cool::D:D

Anyyyway..Art6...and everyone else thanks for your help.
    That's what had happened..I did drive it out to them at the risk of them saying I did most of the damage, They opened it up in front of me and showed what happened..they had over adjusted but it was worn down to nothing anyway so I just got it all replaced.
    Problem sorted..

Thanks guys! much appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Glad to be of assistance and that your problem is solved. Happy motoring:D

Advertisement