Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Board Recommendation Query

Options
  • 29-05-2008 11:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Was just on kingofwatersports.com there checking out the minimals on special offer that you boys were talking about. I see there is a 7' 9'' on offer as well as a 7' 3'' and I was wondering which would be the better option. I'm a beginner, learned to just about stand up on a wave in Oz and then my visa expired! Was thinking maybe the 7' 3'' purely from a space perspective and perhaps maneouvreability in the water. Suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

i'm v new to surfing, havnt got a board yet but have been reading up a lot on it.
    i don't know enuf to advise you on a board but i think that if you share your height and weight it might help whoever is going to offer advice. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Welish, I split this to a seperate thread for you so it would be seen. Not too many people reading that "Cheap Gear" thread

Personally i'd go for the 7 10. Bit more bouyancy which is crucial at the beginning stages. You dont want to get a board too short to begin with as it generally leads to a lot frustration when you cant get the pop-up down. What height are you yourself ?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭dutchgoldtony

I'd go for as big a board as possible. I started off with a 7 6, and had a hard time getting anywhere with it. I moved onto a 8 6 a few months after and haven't looked back!

If anything I'd have gone bigger in hindsight, you can pick up waves on far more days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 welish

Cheers for moving the thread for me. I think ye might be right about the bigger board so lads. I'm 6' 2'' and I wouldn't describe myself as light. That's probably why it took me so long to pop up at first - I was on a friggin 6' 10'' dart belonging to a mate.

Wow thats pertty short for your height to start on alright !

I'm 6 ft and fairly heavy. Started out on a 7 10 HiFly (Plastic), it was plenty bouyant for me but after a while I got a bit bored of it and traded up to a 9 2 Sunride (Epoxy). Much easier to catch the smaller waves, bouyant and manouverable enough too. I wouldnt go back from a longboard now personally.

Theyre more expensive but the waves can be quite small and you'll still catch them with it. On the negative side theyre a lot more sticky to turn and not as quick for the turns either.

Might be an option ?

• Advertisement

I went and ordered the 7 9 bic minimal. It wasn't too bad pricewise and you get the free bag and leash and all that. So hopefully I'll be in the water with that before long. And if I do get bored with it or find myself wishing for a longer board I can always sell it and upgrade, the second hand market seems to be roaring. Thanks for all the help lads, you can lock this now if you like c-13.

Very true, I still have my 7 10 in the shed, the girlfriend or brother use it every now and then.

Ill leave it open if its all the same to you, just in case anyone else wants to query anything said ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

I was lucky enough to get my hands on a 7'3" fish from powersource, the last of four he as making I might add. Not a mal style, fast, v manouvreable (turned 45 degrees without even thinking about it), but buoyant and easy to pop up on. I love her.

Its a pity Mark doesnt make the style of board I got anymore, but a 7ft, wide fish would fit the ticket to someone coming off a school foam board.

K-

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

@welish:
    How did you get on with your order from kingofwatersports?
    I just ordered the 8' 4" Bic Magnum from them.
    How long did delivery take?
    What are the leash and bag like?

Thanks.

Delivery was speedy enough, I placed my order the Friday before the June bank holiday weekend and it arrived the following Friday. I suppose factoring in the long weekend that was quick. Leash is grand and bag is sweet as a nut. Went to Strandhill for a test ride on Sunday and had a great day so the King of Watersports is definitely in my good books at the minute.

• Advertisement
Advertisement