Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant utility bills outstanding

Options
  • 30-05-2008 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭

Can I ask if I, as landlord, have to take responsibility for outstanding bills when a tenant has 'done a runner' and left a property without notice. The bills are in the tenants name. I presume there is gas and electricity owing to those companies. Is it a simple case of putting the bills back in my name as landlord (the debt of the tenant is a separate matter that the elec/gas company follow up on) or will the utility companies transfer the tenant's debt to me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭traceybere

no - you take a reading as soon as you can - ring the ESB or Gas company and tell them you are talking over the account from that reading - you will need your meter number as well.

They will post out a letter for you tenant to that address and you need to put this back in the post marked not at this address and it will go back to them. You will only pay from the date you are back in the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Many thanks my friend. A great weight off my mind. It only seems fair really that I should not have to foot any utility arrears.

Have a super long weekend.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Yeah just ring them up with your new reading (or ask for one to be taken if you can't access the meter yourself). This happened to me when I moved into my current accommodation and even though I didn't have a forwarding address for the previous tenant, it was still no issue and I didn't have to pay their debts.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

ixoy wrote: »
    Yeah just ring them up with your new reading (or ask for one to be taken if you can't access the meter yourself).
    You can usually get the key from your local hardware shop, although you might be stuck if its in a locked meter room in which case contact your management agent.

Advertisement