Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castles in the Air?

• 30-05-2008 10:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Ferrybank to become new 'city'

Yeah I know this should really be in the County Kilkenny board but it somehow fits better here ;)

Anyway what chance has any of this? Litttle or none?

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Ooohhh... Mike, I don't think you know what you're starting here - another Waterford-KK flame war! ;)

Sully, could this be interpreted as trolling? :D

Anyway, my fairly obvious county loyalties aside, I'll make two points:
    1. Fair play to KK Co Council for (eventually) recognising the importance of the area and making an ambitious plan for it.
    2. Why though, should there be two plans for two parts of the same city? Even if KK were still to control stuff like bin collections and so on, why can't one plan be drawn up between both local authorities?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

mike65 wrote: »

Kinda like Tramore.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,574 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

mike65 wrote: »

Yeah I know this should really be in the County Kilkenny board but it somehow fits better here ;)

you do realise of course that a sizeable chunk of Ferrybank is already in Waterford City (ward 2 I believe).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yep that why I decided to post it here, after all it'll be cheek-by-jowel.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

The area will never be a 'city' or even a town. It is part of the environs of Waterford city and will be no matter what you call it. It would be like calling Ballygunner 'Ballygunner city' and developing a plan for it. What a load of rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

I agree totally with merlante, this is the same council that hadn't the vision to fill the potholes on the road to their "city".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

wellbutty wrote: »
    I agree totally with merlante, this is the same council that hadn't the vision to fill the potholes on the road to their "city".

So, so true!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Killkenny county council will go to any lengths that they can to damage Waterford city. For 30 years they refused to do anything about the disgraceful roads leading to Waterford in south kk, they gave permission to this huge retail development in Ferrybank while we're held back by mcant and his cronies, now they want a rival bleedin city, its crazy.

The government should grow a pair of balls and transfer this area to Waterford City control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Are you implying that McCann is Kilkennys fault? And you are complaining that they do nothing with the area and then go on to complain that they are doing something with the area? It's not making much sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭BBM77

I don’t care what county Ferrybank is in it should be planned as part of an overall Waterford City development plan. This plan is designed as a rates generating plan not a plan to compliment Waterford but to create a pull out of Waterford into Kilkenny’s administrative area. In my opinion it is another hostile act by Kilkenny County Council towards Waterford City. Now that the N9 is nearly sorted out they need another means to try and keep Waterford City down so they can push their naive notion of Kilkenny growing into the regional capital. It is another tribal and small-minded act by a council who has tirelessly worked to weaken the region by it lack of support for the regional capital. The city best placed to drive the growth of the region. Kilkenny County Council should come up with a plan of how they could help Waterford as the regional capital and we would all benefit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

I don't think that's really fair.

KK CoCo is reacting to Waterford's recent growth by dedicating resources to the Ferrybank area. They don't want to change the borders, and everyone has given up that notion.

It will always be pretty much the same city, but I think it'd be an interesting twist to have two seperate towns in two seperate counties seperated by the river. Would be something to tell the yanks.

But seeing this as an attack on Waterford..? Mountain out of a mole hill me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

KingLoser wrote: »

KK CoCo is reacting to Waterford's recent growth by dedicating resources to the Ferrybank area. They don't want to change the borders, and everyone has given up that notion.

It will always be pretty much the same city, but I think it'd be an interesting twist to have two seperate towns in two seperate counties seperated by the river. Would be something to tell the yanks.

But seeing this as an attack on Waterford..? Mountain out of a mole hill me thinks.

Maybe 'attack' is a bit strong, but certainly a bid to retain greater Ferrybank indefinitely in the face of an inevitable boundary extension (sooner or later).

On the continent there are towns and cities that straddle the borders of countries and they are not stifled in their development. In Ireland cities on the borders of counties and hindered and stifled by other local authorities. It's a disgrace. Waterford city is far older than the counties and shouldn't have to suffer because of their existence. As it is, they exist only for the GAA turf mentality and for gombeen men fumbling in the greasy till.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭BBM77

KingLoser wrote: »

KK CoCo is reacting to Waterford's recent growth by dedicating resources to the Ferrybank area.

I don’t buy this for one second. The plan in question talks of private sector investment / development that Kilkenny County Council can gain rates on; it makes little mention of dedicating resources by the county council.

They don't want to change the borders, and everyone has given up that notion.

I couldn’t care less about borders, this is an administration issue. As I said, I don’t care what county Ferrybank is in it should planned as part of the overall city of Waterford. It is common sense, in any other country in Europe the city boundary would not be keep so close to the urban edge of the city.

I really don’t think so; Kilkenny County Council has shown its capacity to hinder Waterford over the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

I used to live in Ferrybank for a couple of years after moving to Waterford. Heard all this kind of stuff before buying a house there (North Quays development etc). Nothing ever happened.

I've got to say that it is severely neglected and hopefully the new store at Belfield will generate some other development over there because at the moment there is not much going for it. Services are very, very limited there.

Advertisement