Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rattle from front shock

Options
  • 30-05-2008 11:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have my car in for a service yesterday and i asked to guy to have a look at the front shock as there is a rattle coming from it when im driving on an uneven road (so many of then in dublin:o).

Anyway he said it was was the something arm and it does not need to be fixed yet. I wanted it fixed either way but i had enough and wanted to get my car out of there.

Would anybody know what part he ws talking about and how much it would set me back?

Thanks.

Edit. Its an 02 Audi A4 by the way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

It could be either the inner or outter part of the track rod. Regarding Costs they cost about €30-€40 each and depends on how much your mechanic charges after that.You will probably need to get your car tracked after this is done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭mcmc

Thanks for the quick reply Moanin.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'd say it's probably an upper wishbone link - a common fault on VW/Audi models. If it's making a noise then it most likely needs fixing........

Would it have any bearing on my problem of "play" in the steering? Mine seems to be rattling lately also on the drivers side

A worn track rod end would, but upper wishbone links shouldn't cause play in the steering.

• Advertisement

thanks

Im getting the car booked in to another garage on Tuesday. But would it be safe to put a bit of WD40 on the upper arm joints to try and ease the noise? I hate driving my car because of this but i fooking love my car:(

Thanks for the help guys.

If the joints are worn, WD40 won't make any difference.

Cheers mate.

Guess ill have to put up with the noise for another few days:(

Advertisement