Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New to horse riding and attitudes

• 30-05-2008 12:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,

I am 18 and want to start horse riding. I am currently living in dublin and would love to get out in the open air some more. Now I have a few questions, the first is about weight, height etc. I am 6`1" and of average weight(could do with toning up a bit more but not what you would call fat), would this be suitable for horse riding?

Also, it seems that a lot of women horse ride moreso than men and I dont really know of any lads my age who ride who don't already come from families that own stables etc. Therefore I would like to know what peoples attitude would be. [mod please fell free to remove this statement but it is something that I do want to clear up]
    I amnt homophobic but I don't like being called gay when I amn't and not insulting your sport but people do call it "gay" from time to time. Is this much of a problem?

Thanks all

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Yo OP.

Im a guy and come from a horsey family so i grew up on the back of horses.

I never encountered the gay stereotype in Ireland tbh. Often having broken arms and collar bones might have something to do with it ;)

I live in Sweden now where 99% of people who ride are women. Now do the maths OP. I interact with fit blond swedish girls on a daily basis!! How is that gay!!

Look, i know at 18 you are heavily influenced by peoples opinions of what you do or how you dress or what type if car you have. It's all bullsh!t OP. Do it if you want to!! It's your life!

Horses have given me so much. I am healthy and fit and good at what i do. I can travel all over the world. Horses are horses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

Not at all, there are plenty of people who have retired out of rugby that are now out hunting in my area. Some of the hardiest blokes i know ride horses and are new to it. Dont worry about misconceptions, do your own thing and be good at it. In my experience, men that are in equestrian sports have women flocking after them due to the smaller amount of men taking part!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

OP - I play rugby and have recently taken up horse riding. I've told a lot of the lads on the team and their reaction is always "oh cool, sounds deadly...."

Some of my other mates would be too scared to ride a horse.

As Togster said, it's your life.

Get over what people think, you'll have much more fun that way......no offense to you but you're a bit gay thinking that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 newgaa

Nice, thanks for the comments. Especially liked Whyner's comment, very much coming from my background and liked bendihorse and togsters comments bout da women....:D

Cheers everyone, gonna take it up methinks.

Advertisement