Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fear of Needles

• 30-05-2008 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Personally I can't stand needles and was asked to go for blood tests years ago and always postponed it.

I did go twice and both times were a nightmare.

First time I went was in Saint James about 9 years ago. It was some experience for all concerned. Prior to this occasion, I didn't think I had any problems with needles considering I'd had gotten some before. As the nurse prepared everything, I started to feel quiet nervous and just as she had everything ready, I let the nurse know I was't feeling very comfortable with this at all so she asked me if I wanted to be lying down but as I looked around the room, I seen there were no beds and asked where would I be, she said the floor so I really didn't want this to turn out like a scene out of Trainspotting so I said no, she then just plunged my head into her lap and got on with the job at hand and I think my initial shock at where my head was done the job for those few seconds of getting the blood out. Afterwards they would not let me leave for nearly 20 minutes after as I was quiet distressed about it all (not the head in lap part either as I do find this to be an interesting practice although I'm not sure it would work on women as well as it did me).

Then about 4 years ago at a Beaumount, I had to go for another blood test and at first wasn't worried about it until I got in the car and was on the way to the hospital. As I was waiting to be seen too, I started to become extremely nervous, pale and started shaking. It was a complete nightmare once again.

Now I have no idea where this fear has come from because when I was younger, it didn't bother me. I don't mind jabs in the arm or where ever else they fancy planting the needle but when it comes to the veins, I get completely freaked out.

Has anybody gotten over a fear of needles because I just worry that if there was ever something wrong with me, I wouldn't bother going to get checked out because of this fear.
    Failed to load the poll.

Advertisement