Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 1-series owners...

Options
  • 30-05-2008 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

No, I'm not about to slag them off for 'really wanting a BMW', instead I have a question.

Can anyone tell me what kind of room there is in the back for adults? The pictures I've seen make it seem quite poky back there, even in the 5-door.

Other than that, have you had any problems or issues with it? Is the car as good as you expected?

I'm trying to decide if it's worth test-driving the 120D SE 5-door. Apparently, with the new Audi A3 2.0 TDI common-rail engine, comes a reduction in the already weak specifications. :( My local Audi dealer is going to get me full details soon but I'm now considering looking at a 1-series.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

My wife drives the 116i SE, she loves it. For some reason it has the sports suspension which, in my view, detracts a little, the ride is simply to hard when compared to my 3 series.

That being said, I love driving the car, it's really quick for a 1600 and just loves the corners. Pity we have the 5 gear version as it could really do with a 6th for motorway driving. I'm a pretty big person, from a driving perspective it's ok, though the passenger seat is a little too small for me, however this is probably down to the kiddy seat behind me.

As for rear space, I can't recall ever sitting in the back but it's not ample I can say that. So long as you don't have a > 6" in front I would imagine it would be fine, just don't tour Europe in it.

It's been very reliable, except for the alternator which went, but was replaced under warranty.

All in all a great car and I can only imagine the proper versions (2.0 and up) would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

You really want a BMW then? :D

(sorry ...couldn't resist)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

peasant wrote: »
    You really want a BMW then? :D

(sorry ...couldn't resist)

Mods, ban this troll! :mad:

oh, wait! :o

:D

Well, depending on the Audi specs and other costs I admit, that I will consider this car, even if the BMW-heads hate it as much as tree-huggers hate 4x4's :D

Thanks Mena, I know that they all come with 6-speed boxes now so that's good, that's one reason I wasn't considering the 1.9 TDI A3, it's only a 5-speed. I commute along an A-road to work (2 and 3 lane carriageway, each way) so the 6 gears is a must for me.

I'm no 6-footer, nor is my wife (thankfully ;)) so that'll be okay but we do occasionally have people in the back and our current car (a Stilo) has loads of room for back-seat passengers. I may end up test-driving one of these so I'll check out the rear leg-room while I'm at it. What about the rear-wheel drive, any problems in icy conditions?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

The back of the 1-series is tiny! This is largely as a result of the large transmission tunnel to accommodate the RWD. Anyone over 12 years old would find it tight, never mind an adult.
    Up front, it ain't too spacious either, generally the car feels cramped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

r3nu4l wrote: »
    I commute along an A-road to work (2 and 3 lane carriageway, each way) so the 6 gears is a must for me.

Careful, there, 6 speeds doesn't necessarily mean 6th is higher than the Audis 5th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

There is as much room in the 5dr as the back as my mk4 golf. Why don't you try before you buy, ask a dealer, they should lend you one, they're desperate to sell at the mo.

The 120d has a great engine for the car, blows even the 170tdi VAG out of the water and is a whole band lower (at least) in emissions. Even the 118d is quicker than the 140tdi and a lot better on co2.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

123d ftw. Low co2 and over 200bhp. Yes please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Stephen wrote: »
    123d ftw. Low co2 and over 200bhp. Yes please.

LOL, the ladies special :rolleyes:

You want a 135 :D

Now thats a real car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

Zube wrote: »
    Careful, there, 6 speeds doesn't necessarily mean 6th is higher than the Audis 5th.

A bit like Spinal Tap here - mine goes to 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

I love the rear wheel drive, over steer I can handle, understeer is just :mad:

Never had any issues in icy conditions ( and we've seen a fair bit of that out here).

• Advertisement

Zube wrote: »
    Well at 65mph, the 1.9 TDI Audi A3 is beginning to beg for another gear so Audi's 5th ain't up to much imo. :) I'm sure BMW's 6th is better than that :) Even my Stilo has a great 6th gear.
    Ferris wrote: »
    Why don't you try before you buy, ask a dealer, they should lend you one, they're desperate to sell at the mo.
    I wouldn't dream of buying without trying, I only began considering the 1-series yesterday after talking with the Audi salesman...the irony is not lost. :pac:
    [/QUOTE]

The 135 coupe got great reviews.

BMW certainly know how to make a car drive well. Most reviewers have been praising the handling.

I have a 325ti (aka compact) good bit of poke in it really chuckable. My only gripe is its a pity it doesn't have a proper mechanical limited diff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

The series 1 compact was fitted with the rear suspension out of an e30 3 series.

Perhaps the LSD out of a 325 would fit. Either that or look up the quaife website to see if there is a retrofit one available.

Either way, rare car for ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,429 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The series 1 compact was fitted with the rear suspension out of an e30 3 series

Yeah that was the E36 compact. Not the most modern car to be diplomatic :)

Iirc, ronoc has the E46 compact and there is nothing wrong with that one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

There is no legroom of any description in the back of the 1 series. Although I haven't driven one, the hatchback is a pretty horrible car in every other department IMO, though the Coupé is getting great reviews, so that is probably a fine car.

The 123d is easily the pick of the bunch I would imagine, 204 bhp(more than a Civic type-R and Golf GTI amongst others), 295 lb ft of torque(more than a Ferrari 360), and an average fuel consumption of 54.3 mpg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

E92 wrote: »
    The 123d is easily the pick of the bunch I would imagine, 204 bhp(more than a Civic type-R and Golf GTI amongst others),
    I'd like to see all three go head to head on a track somwhere.

There is no legroom of any description in the back of the 1 series.
    The pictures certainly make it look that way! A test-drive will determine if I can live with it methinks.
    the hatchback is a pretty horrible car in every other department IMO, though the Coupé is getting great reviews,
    It's not just the Coupé that's getting good reviews.

Parkers wrote:
    There are more practical cars available for the money but none so engaging to drive...
    There have been reports that it’s cramped. To which my reply is I’m 5’ 9” and can happily sit behind myself. The boot is far from tiny either...The more I drove the 120d the more I liked it.
    What Car wrote:
    FOR It's wonderful to drive thanks to a superb chassis and sharp steering. Diesel engines are punchy and petrols are sweet-revving. It's very desirable, too.
    AGAINST BMW's premium image will cost dear, and equipment levels are mediocre on base models. Rear space is tight and build quality is not as good as we've come to expect.
    I think that most BMW owners dislike the car simply because they view it as a cheapening of the brand, lowering prestige or something. I could be wrong (I'm sure I'll be told I am :D) but it just seems like snobbery to me.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I had the same decision a year and a half ago and went for the A3 as it had much more room and is way more practical imo.

Thinking of going back the other way at the moment when looking at the saloons but never regretted the decison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

My wife has a e90 316 and I assume its engine the same as in the 116. I know the one series is lighter but that engine is really slow....really...really slow. It not a efficient dynamics one either and the fuel consumption is not that great either. Really I think you need at least the 1,8 diesel or higher. Overtaking is just not safe in the thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

1 series are very nice cars, way better than the current 3 series - the poverty spec 116 is feckin nippy!!

Who cares about rear leg room, you're gonna be sitting in the drivers seat anyway:D

• Advertisement

The series 1 compact was fitted with the rear suspension out of an e30 3 series.

Perhaps the LSD out of a 325 would fit. Either that or look up the quaife website to see if there is a retrofit one available.

Either way, rare car for ireland.

Yeah, e46 the compact wasn't a massive seller the 325ti is rarer still. Ive yet to see another one in fact.
    The LSDs from the older 3 series defiantly will not work I am told without heavy modification.

Thanks for the tip Ive blasted a mail over to Quaife to see if their e46 diffs fit into the e46 compact. I suspect they won't however if the do I suspect mad money.

r3nu4l wrote: »
    I think that most BMW owners dislike the car simply because they view it as a cheapening of the brand, lowering prestige or something.

You might have a point there. It doesn't help either that most people do not exactly like the looks of the 1-series hatchback ;)

Doesn't take away from the fact it is a great drivers car. Check out the laptime of a standard 135 around the Ring. It is faster than many a supercar from last decade

I've seen it said that the 135 coupe is more like the original M3 in spirit than any of its ever bigger and fatter successors :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I'm actually beginning to LIKE the looks of the 5 door 1-series:eek:

In my mind's eye though it's still a housewife/wannabe's car that is waaay too cramped.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭quattro777

Had one as a hire car last week went well and handled well. All of which is negated by the fact it's a VERY ugly car from every angle. Your car should put a smile on your face when you see it, not make you sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭conneem-TT

JHMEG wrote: »
    I'd like to see all three go head to head on a track somwhere.

http://www.fastestlaps.com/index.php?page_id=compare&car1=47015e522b44c&car2=459bb03276e82

;)

conneem-TT wrote: »
    Thanks. And on Top Gear the Civic was a tad quicker than the Golf GTI.

The 123d is easily the pick of the bunch

Who finally managed to poison the petrolhead in you? :eek:

The pick of the bunch is the 135 of course...

Eats Honda supercars for breakfast, doesn't it, JHMEG? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

unkel wrote: »

One designed 19 years ago anyway :pac:...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I know, I know but the 135i is not available as a hatchback, so as far as the hatchback is concerned the 123d is the best engine.

Dare I say I think it is also the best engine for the Coupé too. The 135i would want to be extraordinary altogether to justify spending an extra €20,400 to buy it over the 123d M Sport. And yes it has 102 bhp more, that's not a lot of horsepower for €20,400, even when it has that superior straight 6, and petrol straight 6 noise at that, and you're losing out big time on mpg and not an extra torque in sight either!

In Germany it's only €6,450 more for the 135i over the 123d, now that is easily justifiable for what you're getting in return, and no big hikes in road tax either like you have here(€150 for the 123d vs €1,000 for the 135i), so basically what I'm saying is that because of VRT/road tax I think the 123d is by far the best choice here, but I have no doubt that the best engine belongs under the bonnet of the 135i;).

• Advertisement

Yes, so you keep saying ad nauseum. It's quicker than the late 80s NSX, but not quicker than NSX that came out 10 or 11 years ago. 135 is also quicker than the 335 and about as quick as the V8 M3. Which makes them all slower than a 1997 NSX-R.

Advertisement