Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to charge?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

studiorat wrote: »
    Please Nooooooo!!!!

Why not??????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Please Nooooooo!!!!
    yeah why not????

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Grand a day, cash upfront.

That should scare him of an kill off this pointless thread!:D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Plus Vat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

I would tell the guy that you don't have the experience to charge what your time really deserves but that you'll do it cheap as a result. As sei046 said, for the price of a SM57.

• Advertisement

Here's a track I havn't really bothered messing with yet as I HATE the guitar.

www.soundclick.com/glasshouserecordings

It's "Done me Wrong"

Cmon cmon, tell me how much you hate it already.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭fitz

The vocal's nice. She's got a very good voice.
    Few mistakes here and there on the guitar part, but the playing has got character, and dynamic.
    I can hear your room, but tbh, it sounds like the strings are the culprit. Definitely a little dull sounding. From the bending, I'd say they're a pretty light gauge too. See if they'll restring with a slightly heavier gauge of something phosphor-bronze. Get something really bright on there and you might be surprised how much it improves. How about trying a second mic on the guitar, over the shoulder maybe? Might not get any more level, but it's more guitar to add to the mix...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Seziertisch

Yeah, I know what you mean about the guitar, it seems kind of flat. What kind of mic were you using? And was it positioned appropriately? Depending on what you used, you could borrow another maybe more suitable mic and do a rerecord. Or even use a couple of mics for the rerecord, one up around the nut and another at the bridge. Read up a bit on miking acoustics online before you go at it again. That is what I would do, if it were my own track and I wasn't happy.

That said, it seems to be a pretty good performance, though, so that is something to consider.

You could try eq'ing the mid/top end to get it to stand out a bit more, although this could make it sound quite unnatural depending on how extreme you go at it. A bit of parallel compression might also work well to flesh out the body of the sound and give it a bit more presence in the mix. Doubling might also be another worthwhile approach (depending on the sound you are looking for) Which would still mean a rerecord and depending on the mic used it might not fix the shortcomings you are hearing.

Also, what kind of guitar was it? The main distinction you will notice between recording more affordable acoustics and more expensive ones is that the more expensive ones will offer a more even and pleasing sound across the frequency range. I have found that some guitars just have resonances or dropout at certain frequencies which might not be completely desirable. In the case of a solid performance with a really good guitar little enough needs to be done with it in terms of eq or whatever, it just has great presence.

That said I agree with the post above about the it having a nice enough vibe, so you're going to have to decide whether or not you can live with it.

Thanks for the feedback, I'm glad you can see what I mean about that guitar. I think they were new strings - this is why I was so perturbed by the finger-pad picking. As to the gauge, yeah most likely 12s. It's an Art Luthrie of some kind, guess it was around €400.

Normally I'd X/Y with two SDCs, or space at the bridge and fingerboard. But I only have two inputs on my soundcard - they wanted to record 'live', so I had to make do with an LDC for her vocals and one for the acoustic - about 8inches off the neck/body join.

I was since playing around with a freeware plug-in, Flux's Bittersweet 2. It's pretty good at managing audio transients and gave the guitar a bit more edge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

TelePaul wrote: »
    Cmon cmon, tell me how much you hate it already.

Well I find it quite boring actually, sounds like a million jazzy bluesy birds to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

Im not sure the tune was the issue? I presume we are talking about the production. Well I personally think you did the right thing doing it for free. TBH I have spent seven hours scratching me arse over a bass drum EQ

Well I find it quite boring actually, sounds like a million jazzy bluesy birds to me.

Not sure what you mean - are you adverse to the song - lyrics/melody/ production/arrangement? - or the recording/mix?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

The song I suppose. A closer approach to with the vocal might have given it a warmer feel. Really, how the singer approaches the performance, I feel it's a bit over sung...

The song I suppose. A closer approach to with the vocal might have given it a warmer feel. Really, how the singer approaches the performance, I feel it's a bit over sung...

Well so long as it's not MY problem.... :D Trying to produce is very different to trying to track and mix (note that I say 'trying' in both cases).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

not bad , not bad at all,

I wont comment on the song etc , but a bit of eq and compression and it would be a good recording .

nice one

DaDumTish wrote: »
    not bad , not bad at all,

I wont comment on the song etc , but a bit of eq and compression and it would be a good recording .

nice one

Cheers mate it means alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

i liked it.
    you already stated that your gear was a bit lacking and you only had two mics so of course theres going to be countless suggestions of ways you could have done it better.
    you done a great job with what you had

Advertisement