Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good PC Game Recs Go Here.

Options
  • 30-05-2008 2:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone, I've got a pretty decent laptop, it's better than my PC and I was hoping for some good advice. Their might be some others out there who could tip the hat in the direction of some decent games. I don't care how new or old recs are, shout 'em out.

I've been looking at Dawn of War and it seems well liked. Opinions?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000JQL99G/ref=ord_cart_shr?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Can't scrounge anything else out of my brain to buy. I need some entertainment to tide me over until something half way good gets released for my 360. Ninja Gaiden is the only thing I'm looking forward to.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Sandor wrote: »
    Hey everyone, I've got a pretty decent laptop, it's better than my PC and I was hoping for some good advice. Their might be some others out there who could tip the hat in the direction of some decent games. I don't care how new or old recs are, shout 'em out.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000JQL99G/ref=ord_cart_shr?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Can't scrounge anything else out of my brain to buy. I need some entertainment to tide me over until something half way good gets released for my 360. Ninja Gaiden is the only thing I'm looking forward to.

DoW is a great game but fairly old now. It's gotten three expansions and you should be able to find the recently release DoW Anthology will all of them in one pack. DoW2 is currrently being worked on. In a similar vein look out for Company of Heroes, also from Relic.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Theres a crazy amount of fantastic games out there for the pc. For starters, the Half Life series for an FPS, World in Conflict for the best RTS available, and Oblivion for a great RPG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I have both Half-Lifes on the PC and Oblivion on the 360. I might as well throw in some games I've played and enjoyed: Monkey Island series, Grim Fandango, CS 1.6, Far Cry, a couple of RTS games like the old Command and Conquers and I got my hands on Rome: Total War but wasn't that impressed. It was technically great but the entertainment value was lacking. I also just realized something else, my laptop is Vista. This may be a problem, especially considering older games. How's the backward compatibility with Vista? I've heard its a bit of an awkward OS. Sh!te. :(

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Assuming its RTS games you are into, Dawn of War is good but won't really show off your shiny laptop to its best - get Company of Heroes instead. Its a better, prettier game from the same developers. Plus Dawn of War 2 is on its way (and looks awseome).

World in Conflict was another great recent RTS IMO

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Get the new Penny-Arcade game - it's liek a mix of Monkey Island (which I always loved) and Final Fantasy (just for the combat, but it's not **** like FF is). At €16 to download, you can't go wrong.

I'm also a big fan of DoW, but I'm a big Games Workshop fan anyway, so I'm biased :p

The first Deus Ex, whilst old is a great (and now cheap) game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I have both Half-Lifes on the PC and Oblivion on the 360. I might as well throw in some games I've played and enjoyed: Monkey Island series, Grim Fandango, CS 1.6, Far Cry, a couple of RTS games like the old Command and Conquers and I got my hands on Rome: Total War but wasn't that impressed. It was technically great but the entertainment value was lacking. I also just realized something else, my laptop is Vista. This may be a problem, especially considering older games. How's the backward compatibility with Vista? I've heard its a bit of an awkward OS. Sh!te. :(

I've only run into a problem with one game in vista 64bit, manhunt, for some reason DEP kills it and it wont load, wont add to list of exceptions either, appart from that the others work... Just make sure you update the video card drivers to the newest for best expiriences

Nick

Thanks for all the replies. I'll check out the titles mentioned and see what tickles my fancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Not sure if you would like them, but here are some of my favs.

Max Payne series - one word, AWSOME
    Mafia - a classic
    Operation Flashpoint - imo still the best tactical shooter to date despite it's age.

Though none of these will show off your new system, they are nevertheless great games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Kharn wrote: »
    The first Deus Ex, whilst old is a great (and now cheap) game.

And there are people working on high definition upgrades to the graphics like what happened with System Shock 2. On that note, get your hands on System Shock 2, and the Thief series.

If strategy games are your thing then you really should get Dawn of War, it's a great solid number. Have a look at Maelstrom (avoid the single player, it's rubbish) and Earth 2160 while you're at it, they're quite pretty and do some things very differently from most RTS games.

I've had a look at Deaus Ex and I like what I see and it's very cheap.
    I've decided on Deus Ex, Dawn of War and maybe Max Payne, Company of Heroes looks good but I'm undecided. The setting puts me off. Anything else thats not RTS? One or two good RTSs should last me a long time with skirmishes and all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

always recommend serious sam the second encounter for some intense fun fps

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Sarky wrote: »
    And there are people working on high definition upgrades to the graphics like what happened with System Shock 2.
    This is joyous news indeed!

I forgot about Max Payne and Serious Sam - thanks to thos who mentioned. But there's one fabulous game I forgot to mention. It's a RTS called MoonBase Commander and it's just win!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

I've had a look at Deaus Ex and I like what I see and it's very cheap.

but you can play Deus Ex for free on Gametap from next week, all you have to do is endure a 15 second video advertisement if you dont want to subscribe.

you can also play Thief Deadly Shadows and Psychonauts

http://www.shacknews.com/laryn.x?story=52891

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Mass Effect
    TC - Rainbow 6 series
    Overlord
    Prey
    Unreal 2
    Unreal Tournament collection
    Tron 2.0
    Neverwinter Knights
    Age of Empires series

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭ballybay_eh

Any PC Games at all? Only need to recommend one...

Baldur's Gate 2.

Brilliant game. One of the best. In fact, its nearly time for my annual replay of it. Excellent. :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Baldur's Gate 2.

Brilliant game. One of the best. In fact, its nearly time for my annual replay of it. Excellent. :D

I'm in the middle of my bi-annual replay. Decided to go for the basic warrior this time, after doing a mage the last time i played. Its a bit....i dunno, simplistic though. Walk in, hit people hard, move on. Might restart (and get the skip-first-dungeon mod) and try something totally different, like a thief or a druid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

+1 to Max Payne.

The Orange Box might be worth a look, Portal's pretty good and Team Fortress 2 is great if you can find a decent server.

There's a sale on Steam at the moment of Eidos games, can't check the link here in work, includes Deus Ex and its inferior sequel, some or all of the Commandos series, Tomb Raider Legend and Anniversary, the last Hitman and a couple of the early ones, Just Cause which got some fairly good reviews. There's about 20 games in all, works about about 75-80 euro. Only reason I didn't buy it is I already have a fair few of them. Some of them are probably rubbish but there's some good ones in there.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Sorry I may have missed something, you say you liked the old command and conquer games, have you got the newest and it just released expansion kane's wrath?
    If not that should be the first of your RTS purchases.

Balders Gate 2, eh? That's one of those games that keeps cropping up in conversation. Might have to see what the fuss is about.

I've played (not a lot) enough Tomb Raider, I have all of the Hitmans. The first is good fun, no one ever seems to have played it, like the franchise started with 2.

The newest C&C I've played is Generals which I had a laugh with. I just played it on LAN with friends so I have no idea what it's like solo. I'm not looking for games to play with a gaggle of people either. Solo play. With RTSs I'm looking for good skirmishing and well balanced factions and entertaining maps. I've seen the newest C&C in action and it's just pure speed building and then rushing to your enemies base as far as I can see. That's not appealing to me at all, though I might be wrong in my opinion.

I think I've enough to hit the online retailers with. I should be able to cope through a few more insomnia fused nights. Feel free to keep posting recs though, these topics are always very helpful to everyone I find. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

cant believe no one has mentioned crysis yet!

what a game

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

judas101 wrote: »
    cant believe no one has mentioned crysis yet!

what a game

Forget about the eye candy & I don't think its that great a game in retrospect, in that there are far better. The alien levels towards the end were complete pants. Dungarees in fact.

Nobody mentioned cysis because as soon as you do that, the "I don't know how to adjust my graphics settings so the game works, I just turn everything up to maximum & complain about it" brigade come out to play.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Maximilian wrote: »
    Forget about the eye candy & I don't think its that great a game in retrospect, in that there are far better. The alien levels towards the end were complete pants. Dungarees in fact.

Nobody mentioned cysis because as soon as you do that, the "I don't know how to adjust my graphics settings so the game works, I just turn everything up to maximum & complain about it" brigade come out to play.
    Agree totally, crysis was a rubbish game storywise, its all for the eye candy :P

Nick

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

even gameplay wise crysis was very 'meh', but it was pretty as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Crysis is worth playing up to the harbour bit where you have to sink the ship. After that it turns into a big bucket of spooge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Creature wrote: »
    Crysis is worth playing up to the harbour bit where you have to sink the ship. After that it turns into a big bucket of spooge.

agreed, though the editor can be great fun too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

+1 for The Orange Box & Company Of Heroes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Here are some really cheap good PC games, I've gotten these games for prices as low as 8 euro!

FPS Games

-Doom 3
    -Quake 4
    -Prey
    -Battlefield 2
    -Crysis
    -The Orange Box

RTS

-Command And Conquer generals with expansion
    -Tiberium wars
    -Dawn of war triple pack and the newer one
    -Any C&C game is cheap and good...:cool: