Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veggie oil used in irish restaurants / fast food??

• 30-05-2008 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭

Is veggie oil used exclusively in Irish restaurants and also fast food places - or do some of them still use the cheap and cheerful animal fats?

Not really approaching this from a health point of view. I'm thinking of approaching them - offering to dispose of their waste oil (but i don't want to be picking up animal fat based oils - as doesnt fit the purpose i have for it).

Any ideas?
    In fact, any people in the business west of the shannon in having waste oil collected from your premises for free?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Some what similar thread here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭baguio

oblivious wrote: »
    Some what similar thread here
    Thanks oblivious. Looks like for the most part, they're veggie users.

Anyone in the know as regards what most places do with their waste oil?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

baguio wrote: »
    Not really approaching this from a health point of view. I'm thinking of approaching them - offering to dispose of their waste oil (but i don't want to be picking up animal fat based oils - as doesnt fit the purpose i have for it).

What are you going to use it for? If it is an alternative fuel source, I didn't think there was any difference - both animal fats and veggie oils can be processed to make biodiesel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭baguio

Minder wrote: »
    What are you going to use it for? If it is an alternative fuel source, I didn't think there was any difference - both animal fats and veggie oils can be processed to make biodiesel.
    It depends on the kit used. Veggie is far more straightforward by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭mildews

baguio wrote: »
    Thanks oblivious. Looks like for the most part, they're veggie users.

Anyone in the know as regards what most places do with their waste oil?

All catering operations should have a collector for waste oil, this company will have to be registered as such.
    They are obliged by law to ensure that it is being refined or correctly disposed of and that it is not just being dumped?

It's part of the waste management control.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i use a company that comes once a week to deliver fresh and pick up my waste oil, most oil companies do a free collection and waste oil is generally refined at a plant in meath

Advertisement