Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My speed has suddenly fallen

Options
  • 30-05-2008 2:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭

I'm on 3MB with UTV. In the last week my connection keeps dropping out and coming back 2mins later. Very annoying.
    My speed test result show download at around 600kbps when its usually always 2600kbps. My upload is fine.
    I phoned UTV and the idiot that I could barely understand told my because my modem status says im connecting at 3072(3MB) that there is no problem and its something wrong with my computer i.e Firewall. I turned off my firewall and still no better.

Any help?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Is it a wireless or wired connection to the modem? Also, when the connection drops out for this 2 minute period, does the DSL light on the modem go off?

If you're using wireless, try going wired for a while and see if it improves, could be interference. If not, check the DSL status when the connection drops. Also, when dropped, can you access the router config, or is that gone too.

Could be a dodgy modem, could be the line, could be internal wiring in the house. can be difficult to determine which it is.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Its important to be systematic.

If you are using wireless go back to wired.

Check what speed you are synicing at.

Check your line stats - line stats can disimprove very suddenly.

If all is ok go back to wireless - check to see if any neighbours are on your channel also (netstumbler will do this for you)

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Cameraman

Hi Skyuser,

I'm also having the same problem. I've had a very reliable UTV service for the last few years. However, in the past few days (on my 3Mb line) download has been about 1000 kbps (usually about 2600) and upload at about 310 kbps (which is normal).

Intend to contact UTV tomorrow - wonder if it has anything to do with speed upgrades ???

Latest :

277994925.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Cameraman wrote: »
    Hi Skyuser,

I'm also having the same problem. I've had a very reliable UTV service for the last few years. However, in the past few days (on my 3Mb line) download has been about 1000 kbps (usually about 2600) and upload at about 310 kbps (which is normal).

Intend to contact UTV tomorrow - wonder if it has anything to do with speed upgrades ???

Latest :

277994925.png
    Looks like we're in the same boat. My upload is also perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Cameraman

I reported it to UTV - and it seems to be back to normal again - fingers crossed.

278233611.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Having the same problem, happening again tonight however.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

mine's also gone to ****, supposed to be a 1 meg and it says connecting at 1 meg, but there's no way this is gone beyond 500k

Advertisement