Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complaint about dog

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Robot1

I can't understand why the complainant's first port of call was the council. If you really want to resolve the issue nothing beats the direct approach. I've had words with neighbours over barking dogs and house alarms, and always resolved the issues. Most people are decent and are just unaware of the nuisense they are causing. A little shame goes a long way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

I have a neighbour in an apartment nextdoor(and no we are not allowed keep animals) who has a dog that can bark for hours on end during the day and rang the dspca as i thought it was cruel to have the dog locked up for 8 or 9 hours a day barkking and crying and they told me it wasnt a cruelty case as long as they were being fed and watered and had shelter????

That's the long and short of it. And Robot1 - if you read my earlier post the direct approach can inflame things. We have an idiot neighbour who took offence to this and he has been out the back goading his dogs since 7:30am today. It's still ongoing now (9:20).

And the local dog warden here is worse than useless. He says he has no powers regarding barking. Which I personally know is complete $hite, but he's the dog warden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Robot1

What a idiot you live beside, freddy. My heart goes out to you. We really need some serious noise control legislation and enforcement in this country. I still think the direct approach is worth a try, because it just might work, whereas you don't stand any chance of a result by going through official channels.

Robot1 wrote: »
    What a idiot you live beside, freddy. My heart goes out to you. We really need some serious noise control legislation and enforcement in this country. I still think the direct approach is worth a try, because it just might work, whereas you don't stand any chance of a result by going through official channels.

Thanks Robot1. You're probably right. I believe that 85% of people are reasonable and approachable. Unfortunately, as for the other 15%........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I can totally sympathise with both the OP and Freddie59.

To the OP, unfortunately, some people are just pig-ignorant about dogs and will go out of their way to make trouble for you. There's very little you can do about it except "kill them with kindness" by being a model dog-owner.

And Freddie59, I feel your pain. We have 3 Boxers who very rarely bark - they only bark if they see a stranger walking past the house, and even at that they quiet as soon as they are told to. My husband's sister, however, lives next door to us. She has a King Charles and a Cocker Spaniel. They are left outside 24/7 and they literally NEVER stop barking. Now, I am a huge dog-lover (obviously, seeing as I have 3 of my own) but on several occassions I have had to tell my husband to tell her to take the dogs in or I am actually going to go insane. How she doesn't hear/notice them herself I do not know.

The dogs even sleep outside so if they hear the slightest noise at night they start barking and don't stop for about 45 minutes.

Now, I may be in the minority here, but I don't think it would even be as annoying if they were big dogs, as they have very deep barks, but these two are the yappiest craytures you've ever heard...

• Advertisement

Honey-ec wrote: »
    I can totally sympathise with both the OP and Freddie59.

To the OP, unfortunately, some people are just pig-ignorant about dogs and will go out of their way to make trouble for you. There's very little you can do about it except "kill them with kindness" by being a model dog-owner.

And Freddie59, I feel your pain. We have 3 Boxers who very rarely bark - they only bark if they see a stranger walking past the house, and even at that they quiet as soon as they are told to. My husband's sister, however, lives next door to us. She has a King Charles and a Cocker Spaniel. They are left outside 24/7 and they literally NEVER stop barking. Now, I am a huge dog-lover (obviously, seeing as I have 3 of my own) but on several occassions I have had to tell my husband to tell her to take the dogs in or I am actually going to go insane. How she doesn't hear/notice them herself I do not know.

The dogs even sleep outside so if they hear the slightest noise at night they start barking and don't stop for about 45 minutes.

Now, I may be in the minority here, but I don't think it would even be as annoying if they were big dogs, as they have very deep barks, but these two are the yappiest craytures you've ever heard...

Thanks for your comments Honey. Now, replace those two you mentioned with a German Shhperd and a Labrador and you see the problem. I absolutely love boxers! A chap passes by our home with one every day and he is the most placid thing going. Beautiful animal. One lives nearby and while a large dog next door causes commotion the boxer just sits there looking puzzled.

We have minded a King Charles in the past and they are so excitable, but very loveable and affectionate.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭mollydolly271

KatCookie wrote: »
    But you should tell your landlord..
    i'm sure theres a reason for that no pets rule.

we own the place and i have told the management company and was told they wud send a letter to my neighbours but it wud probaly be ignored by them and there is not much they can do about it?????? dont get me started on management companies thats a whole other thread and also in reply to another poster who said the direct route is better, not always true the last time i asked the people above me to please put saucers under their plant pots before watering they started watering their plants twice as much...... some people are so selfish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

the last time i asked the people above me to please put saucers under their plant pots before watering they started watering their plants twice as much...... some people are so selfish

..theres something you gotta explain there now..

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭mollydolly271

KatCookie wrote: »
    ..theres something you gotta explain there now..

what u mean????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

the last time i asked the people above me to please put saucers under their plant pots before watering they started watering their plants twice as much...... some people are so selfish
    why does it matter whether there is saucrs under their plant pots or not?
    is that noisy too?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

because of the water dripping down maybe?

Advertisement