Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do in Waterford if you are a foreigner

• 30-05-2008 4:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

Hi all,

I am Spanish and I am going to live in Waterford until October. I would like to know what can I do to get some fun/meet new people but I don't know where to start.

Could you, please, recommend me some club / group tours / English classes / gyms / swimming pools etc. to join in order to learn and, at the same time, meet new people and have a good time?

I am not the kind of person who likes going to a pub to get drunk so, please, discard that option, lol

Thanks a lot!
    Nat.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Are you here on work experience as part of a college course? Do you have access to a car?

There's no end of outdoor activities that you can do here, two mountains ranges within an hours travel, loads of beaches, river side walks.

And pubs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

I don't want to hijack the OPs thread, but has anyone any suggestions for things to do with a child in Waterford this weekend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

Will be going to Splashworld and Tramore, but would be interested in hearing if there's anything happening for the long weekend.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Will be going to Splashworld and Tramore, but would be interested in hearing if there's anything happening for the long weekend.

Could try Laserblast and/or RunAMuck? The amusements will be very busy if you want to bring the child along for some fun. Could go to Splashworld, head to the amusements, get some chips (Massinos is new and fantastic. It replaces the Beach Grill) and then maybe head over to Laserblast for some fun before heading home?

There just some suggestions.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

Sully wrote: »
    Could try Laserblast and/or RunAMuck? The amusements will be very busy if you want to bring the child along for some fun. Could go to Splashworld, head to the amusements, get some chips (Massinos is new and fantastic. It replaces the Beach Grill) and then maybe head over to Laserblast for some fun before heading home?

There just some suggestions.. :)

Some man for the laserblast promotin! do you work for em?
    Op - pubs and clubs are a great option, even if you dont drink :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Some man for the laserblast promotin! do you work for em?

Nah.. I remember Laserworld and it was great. So having Laserblast in Tramore is definately a place I think anybody looking for a bit of craic should go to :) I bring groups from the college and everyone seems to enjoy it!
    Op - pubs and clubs are a great option, even if you dont drink :p

Yup, plenty of places in Waterford and Tramore to go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭henboy

try the peoples park ---if you get the weather its nice down there .And best of all it's free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 nateireann

Ok, I really appreciate your answers but the problem is that I am alone in Waterford, I have no car, I have no friends, I don´t know anybody so ... I can´t go to a pub, I can go to a park, but it´s very sad to feel so alone in a foreign country. I need to do activities in group, that´s why I asked for clubs, or tours or something like that, something that let me know new people.

Sorry for sounding so desperate but I have 4 months left here and I don´t want to spend them at home!

thanks a lot!
    Nat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Boards beers ftw!

If you're into photography/scenery myself and Fajitas! often go out places at the weekends.

For clubs and things we'd really need to know what you're into or would like to do, then we can tailor the replies to suit your needs.

Thanks Roen for your answer!

A question: what´s the meaning of Boards beers ftw?? :confused: (I am Spanish, remember??:o)

I love landscapes and so but I am not really good taking pictures, it is not one of my hobbies, my boyfriend gets angry with me because he gave me a digital camera as a present and I always forget to take it every place we go, I am a mess!

About my interests: everything except smoking and drinking. I am a freak of TV series, I watch as much of them as I can and I love speaking about them, I like cinema, TV, table games, walking, chatting, dancing, Harry Potter!!!! Lord Of The Rings and magic tales, I love reading, I like beach, sun, playing Nintendo DS, I like all kind of music except rap, hip hop, jazz or reaggeton, I love doing tourism, I used to play soccer (I was really really bad at it but I enjoyed a lot), in fact I am very bad at sports but I don´t mind practising, always have a good time.

And that´s me. :o:o:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Boards Beers are just a bunch of people meeting up for a few drinks and a chat. They're usually good fun, even if you don't drink!

There are some amazing spots around Waterford, I'm not too informed about groups around the city, but I'm sure there are some! Does anyone know if Garter Lane still do arthouse films?

You could always head along to some soccer training, if only to meet some people rather than anything serious!

Then Boards beers sounds great for me, I always enjoy a good chat, but how can I join a group in a bar without looking desperate?

And, Roen, Fajitas!, I would like to join to one of your weekend trips if you accept me :o

I am going to the beach now, if I manage to find out in which stop I have to get out of the bus!

thanks a million to everybody!

If its Tramore your going to - get the 360 from Waterford and ask to be dropped of at the Bus Terminus. From there its only a short stroll - just follow the people :p

You can get a map of the town on Discover Tramore Transport Page.. The Sands Hotel will have a copy if you cant print it (closest place to where your being dropped of that will have a map available). Some of the arcades and business along the sea front might have it but at a guess id say they will be all out by now!

Ill start organizing another Boards Beers - the last one was a great success and was only a handful of us :) You meet some great people and get to put a face on other Boardsies!! :)

ok, Sully, now I totally understand what a Boards Beers is, in Spain we call it KDD when you meet people from a forum in the internet, isn´t it? I used to post a lot in a spanish TV series forum called tusseries, I met excellent people there!!

So, please, advice when you organize it!!! and please, please, please, not the weekend from 13th-15th in June, my boyfriend is coming from Spain and we will go to Cork!

Thanks very much indeed, I am so glad to have entered this page!

By the way, I went to the beach, it was very sunny this morning, so I put on my swimming suit, I made two sandwiches and at the time to leave it was cloudy, but I thought: it is only a cloud, it doesn´t matter. I walked half an hour until the bus station, I got the bus, I arrived to Tramore, I saw there was a fair at the beach, I bought some chips, I sat at the beach and........ It began to rain!!!!!!! a lot of rain!!!!!!!! I couldn´t believe it!!!! so I went back to the bus stop and..... I had to wait 1 hour for the bus!!! people was desperate there. And I arrived to Waterford, I walked another half an hour to home and when I arrived.... it was really really sunny!!!!

A sunday to forget...

nateireann wrote: »
    ok, Sully, now I totally understand what a Boards Beers is, in Spain we call it KDD when you meet people from a forum in the internet, isn´t it? I used to post a lot in a spanish TV series forum called tusseries, I met excellent people there!!

So, please, advice when you organize it!!! and please, please, please, not the weekend from 13th-15th in June, my boyfriend is coming from Spain and we will go to Cork!

Thanks very much indeed, I am so glad to have entered this page!

Yup.. It will take a while to organise it so id imagine it would be sometime in July but dont worry, the forum will have plenty of updates :)
    By the way, I went to the beach, it was very sunny this morning, so I put on my swimming suit, I made two sandwiches and at the time to leave it was cloudy, but I thought: it is only a cloud, it doesn´t matter. I walked half an hour until the bus station, I got the bus, I arrived to Tramore, I saw there was a fair at the beach, I bought some chips, I sat at the beach and........ It began to rain!!!!!!! a lot of rain!!!!!!!! I couldn´t believe it!!!! so I went back to the bus stop and..... I had to wait 1 hour for the bus!!! people was desperate there. And I arrived to Waterford, I walked another half an hour to home and when I arrived.... it was really really sunny!!!!

A sunday to forget...

Welcome to Ireland ;) Supprised at the 1hr wait though - a bus comes every 30mins? Its bound to be very busy (it took me a half an hour to get from one end of the prom to the other end!) as the weather changed very suddenly!

Advertisement