Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

galway tour/things you'd recommend

Options
  • 30-05-2008 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭

hey all. alright, i've been asked to give a group of young americans a tour around galway. i'm coming up with a list of must sees and stories about galway but wanted to see what you all have to say.
    anyone got any stories or facts? any ideas what underage 17-19 year olds should be doing with their evenings and days?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Well I defo shown them around the city centre from the cathedral through shop street and out as far as claddagh. Especially if they don't know Galway.

Maybe a trip to Salthill for an evening if the weather is good

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

St Nicholas', the hanging window, and the Augustinian. (You could tell them how, when the Catholic Augustinian was being renovated, they had a procession over to the Protestant Nicholas', held catholic masses in St Nicks for the duration of the building works, and a procession back at the end; both religions working closely together (I think it's a nice story, anyway!)).

The hanging window is where a former Galway Mayor, Lynch, hung his son for the murder of a Spanish sailor, hence the expression "Lynching".

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There is a hop-on hop-off bus tour - ask in the tourist office.
    Go to a hurling game.
    Saturday market.
    Go walking up to the Menlo Castle ruin.
    Evenings, just wander the streets and go for coffee in Javas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Don't forget to walk from Spanish Arch to Salmon Weir on the path beside the river, and continue down to Woodquay.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Go off the beaten track: Forthill Cemetery, and tell them about the 300-ish Spanish sailors buried there.

And for that age-group, if you want to give them an authentic Irish experience, try the old rail-embankment accompanied by a few bottles of Buckfast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I've given a good few foreigners tours around Galway through couchsurfing. I just make it all up, Americans will believe anything you tell them and all foreigners think the Irish are mad so will swallow just about any story you come up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

You could take them up the Corrib in the Corrib Princess - they do discounts for groups and give a good historical commentary on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Trying to remember the bits from a City tour we did when in 4th class (about 20 years ago :( ). Rough guidelines go google and get the facts :)

Lynch's castle:
    Half way up the front wall you will see what looks like a monkey holding a baby. Thats their as a monkey did actually save one of their kids in a fire somewhere....that would have monkeys obviously.

Hanging Window,
    As explained before, the father did the hanging as every one else refused as they though he would then regret the sentense and take it out on the hang man.

St Nicks:
    The missing painting, the Connaught Rangers (The devils own), the fact the clock only has 3 faces (not to give the time of day to the catholics)

The Kings head:
    Its named for a reason, I forget the exact one but worth checking out.

Humanity Dick (Richard Martin):
    Was involved in the founding of the SPCA, forget which pub he was involved with. This is where someone comes out and says Martins or something like that :P.

Flood Street:
    There is a little plaque on the wall of the tax building, deer I think, something got to do with the fact their is/was a spring under that building

The lane between Ryans Men and Ryans Ladies:
    If your walking up that lane towards shop st. the big window was used as a spot for speechs by some famous irish politition. Again check it out.

Corn Store second hand book shop:
    Forget the name it has now, but it used be Sheila Na Gig (excuse spelling) and if you look over the door there is a Sheila na Gig, what was it again they where used to scare off the Devil?

There are a few Wedding Stones still above door ways in Galway, think there is one along cross st.

Just some other idea's
    Claddagh Ring place on Quay St.
    Nuns Island (Prision)
    Brownes Gate in Eyre Sq.
    Wolfe Tone Bridge
    The Quad in nuig

All that springs to mind right now..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 drunknmunky_69

only a suggestion but if u get the chance it'd be worth taking them up to dublin. Take them on the viking tour bus...Its bloody brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Bring them bush drinking behind a church followed by a curry coleslaw chips with cheese while they watch the locals 'bate' the heads off each other. Then walk home in the rain because there are no taxis.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

As well as the Corrib Princess, which is big and sometimes crowded, there's a small boat that takes about 10 people on the same tour, something like a tenner each. Very pleasant, a nice Scottish guy who chats on about the castles and stuff as you pass them. And lifejackets provided, and worn by all.

Advertisement