Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kona Lana'i - Hydraulic disk brakes?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Its seems to be hard to find solid info on the Kona Lana'i but from what I can see the frame, forks and hubs aren't disk brake compatible. TBH if you're buying a bike in that price range the extra money on brakes would be better spent elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Is this it?
    http://www.konabikes.co.uk/2k5bikes/2k5_lanai.php

Hubs don't appear to be disc compatable, fork looks like it is and can't tell about the frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

Morgan wrote: »
    Is this it?
    http://www.konabikes.co.uk/2k5bikes/2k5_lanai.php

Hubs don't appear to be disc compatable, fork looks like it is and can't tell about the frame.

Yeah, that is it. Maybe I am being silly buying a cheap bike then speccing it up but I really want to get a bike to take advantage of the summer. Ideally I'd probably be going for a GT Avalanche 2.0 but don't have the available funds just now. Was going to get the second and bike and get a set of Rockshox followed by disc brakes. Is there really much of a difference between standard brakes and disc brakes or does it really only come into its own in the wet?

Having said that though, maybe I am making something out of nothing. I am far from being a super proficient rider and maybe getting disc brakes is a bit OTT. I don't know. Maybe I should keep an eye on adverts.ie for some good deals!!

Just that the frame seems to be standard pretty much throughout Kona hardtails and I thought I could spec the bike up in my own time to the extent that perhaps only the original frame would remain. Probably more costly in the long run but I can't afford the sort of bike I want just now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Depends how much you're paying for the 2nd hand bike I guess. When you factor in the cost of the brakes and a new set of wheels you might be as well off getting something else (new or s/h).

Discs really are much better than rim brakes offroad - this is Ireland after all, it's always wet somewhere.

Morgan wrote: »
    Depends how much you're paying for the 2nd hand bike I guess. When you factor in the cost of the brakes and a new set of wheels you might be as well off getting something else (new or s/h).

Discs really are much better than rim brakes offroad - this is Ireland after all, it's always wet somewhere.

Pissed soexcuse post. £130 for bike. Was gonna spec it up from that.

• Advertisement

Will just buy a better bike I think. And so to Ebay.

Advertisement