Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Murder or Manslaughter?

• 30-05-2008 4:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭

Now, first off, I want to admit that I know this is a stupid question, but I was bored the other night, so watched an episode of CSI and this question came to mind:

If I wanted to kill person A, but they jumped out of the way and I accidentilly killed person B, is it manslaughter or murder? On the one hand, I had intended to commit a murder, which would generally rule out manslaughter, but because I accidentally killed someone who I hadn't intended to kill, it's not really a murder, is it?

Or is it just my definitions of murder and manslaughter that are way off?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Planxty

It's murder. It does not matter that you didn't intend to kill B, the intent of your action was to take a life, the fact that it wasn't the life you intended to take is irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Its murder - the doctrine of transferred malice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Intent so it's murder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭xanthe

Not a legal eagle here but a huge fan of CSI .....
    With regards to personB ...In my mind its manslaughter cause it was by accident and not premeditated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

xanthe wrote: »
    Not a legal eagle here but a huge fan of CSI .....
    With regards to personB ...In my mind its manslaughter cause it was by accident and not premeditated.

No. It's murder. The requisite mens rea was present i.e. there was intent to kill - the fact that you killed someone else other than your intended victim is irrelevant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

As has been said above, in Ireland it would be murder.

Criminal Justice Act 1964:

4.—(1) Where a person kills another unlawfully the killing shall not be murder unless the accused person intended to kill, or cause serious injury to, some person, whether the person actually killed or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Thanks for clearing that up, folks.

Advertisement