Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with tattoo design

Options
  • 30-05-2008 5:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hi all,

I have some queries about getting my first tattoo, and more importantly, perhaps getting some help with the design. Sorry for the noob questions, but hopefully some nice folk on here can help me out...

I have wanted a tattoo for well over 15 years but could never decide what to get and so never got one. Then recently I saw a motif I liked and started playing with it and eventually ended up with something I want to put on my body. However, it is just plain black and I would like to add some element of 3D shading in red perhaps, to make it a bit more interesting.

My questions are these:

1. Will tattoo artists generally be open to helping me with the design? (assuming it's ok to bring your own design in in the first place?)

2. Is it an expensive thing generally to have a tattoo artist help me with my design? (as opposed to the cost of getting the tattoo done itself)

3. Can/will the artist then be at liberty to use the design again on others?

4. How does an artist reproduce my design as a tattoo on my skin- do they use my design to make some kind of stencil or do they copy freehand or how does it work?

5. Can anyone recommend a talented artist in Dublin that is friendly and would be open to this sort of thing? (I have looked at various posts for this already but there is a lot to sort through).

I realise some of these questions are very general, but I'm interested in any general information anyone has to offer!

Thanks in advance. d
    :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

answers :)

1. yes, currently have an artist doing this myself, depends on the size and style, some can have it done near on the spot, some will take a while to do.

2. no, not in my experience anyway, as far as I know they don't charge for this bit at all. Any artist I know or have heard of anyway.

3. depends, if the style is very "common", for want of a better word, things similar to it may pop up about the place, but from what I've seen, the artist will ask you if you'd mind them re-using it, or if someone does want it, they'll rework it so it's similar but not the same.

4. they use a sort of greaseproof paper, trace the image onto it, with a sort of inky pen then transfer it to your skin, I have a pic of gettin stenciled on my last one, I'll attach it, plus one of about half way through where you can still see the stencil.

5. Greg and Marc in Inkwell, any of the guys in Snakebite, and Justin in Zulu are great in my experience.

Best of luck and don't forget to let us know/see how it goes! :)

gettin stencilled

almost there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 dermy

Thanks le_rack that's exactly the kind of info I need!

I still have a little bit of work to do on my design myself, but will probably bring it in to one of the places you suggest in the next few weeks and see what they can do for me. I also wanna check out some of the work done by those particular artists and see who I like best and also who might be the most suited to the kind of work I need.

Thanks also for the pics- nice tattoo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 dermy

Was just looking for sites for those places you mentioned le_rack and the only one I found was for Inkwell. Can you or anyone tell me if Zulu or Snakebite have a website?

thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 vathar

just google "snakebite dublin" and you'll get it

EDIT : www.snakebite.ie will do also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

yeah, vathar got one there,

http://www.snakebite.ie/Gallery.htm that'll take ye straight to the galleries on snakebite

http://www.inkwelltattoo.net/site/folios/index.html galleries for inkwell

can't find a web page for zulu myself but I've seen Justin's work first hand and it is great. So far as being able to go in and have a good chat with the artists about it, even brainstorm on it I'd recommend Greg and Mark or Justin. The guys in Snakebite are fantastic artists but I just don't find them as "user friendly" as the others, then again the only two in there I've dealt with are Polish, and no intention of sounding racist here whatsoever, it's just that bit more difficult to have a chat with them. I mean, myself and my best mate both got our first tattoo's there and love them but we didn't feel as at ease with them or summit as I have done with Greg who's done my last two....

• Advertisement
Advertisement