Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Race Calendars - 2008

• 21-05-2008 12:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭

Anybody know when the Leinster open sea calendar is due out. It is usually well out by now. Supposedly first race is Glenalbyn race in sandycove Dublin on 7th June but I could be wrong...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭The Machine

I was looking for the same info myself but couldn't find the 2008 calendar.

Was expecting it to appear here but doesn't look like the this site get much attention.
    http://www.swimleinster.com/opensea.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Apparently it will be out on swim leinster site (posted above) tomorrow....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭paulksnn

All I have is the calender for Ireland for the year.
    It's the only version I have, there may be a more up to date one.Attachment not found.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Paul, That's John Conroy's list, mostly Cork based races. There are also a whole series of Leinster swims which is what I think the lads are talking about above.

I was down at the champion of champions swim yesterday and it was a great day. I've put some photo's up on picasa web if anyone wants to have a look. Conditions were pretty rough around the back of the island but most people exceeded their expectations despite the difficult conditions.

I saw a hardcopy of the 2008 calendar on Saturday - so I assume the online version will be available very soon.

As far as I remember the first race was the Glenalbyn SC race on Saturday the 7th of June in Sandycove.....

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

Excellent stuff - good selection of races this year

Corrib Prom swim in Salthill on the 12th July looks good - bit of dash back for the Island the next day at 7. Hope it's the proper Island this time - last year was a bit disappointing for my first.

No upper Liffey - despite rumours that they were bringing it back.

Time to take a marker to my calendar

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭snack_ie

Hey,

I would like to do the Liffey Swim this year.
    I know that last year you had to do maybe 4 other ones before to qualify? Is this still the case?
    If you do, do these 4 swims, can you do them in a wetsuit (will that still qualify you for the Liffey swim). Then I take it that you have to suck it up and do without one then?

Any ideas?
    Suck it up and swim without one - will do if have to but, tbh carrying a little less insulation than most I have seen competing & suffer real bad from the cold (even in wetsuit):D

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

snack_ie wrote: »
    I would like to do the Liffey Swim this year.
    I know that last year you had to do maybe 4 other ones before to qualify? Is this still the case?
    If you do, do these 4 swims, can you do them in a wetsuit (will that still qualify you for the Liffey swim). Then I take it that you have to suck it up and do without one then?

Any ideas?
    Suck it up and swim without one - will do if have to but, tbh carrying a little less insulation than most I have seen competing & suffer real bad from the cold (even in wetsuit):D

The qualifiers for the Liffey and DLH have been in the rules for years - I doubt they're going to change the rules this year. You could ask Brian Mongey, his number is down for contact info on the Liffey in the PDF.

Generally the rules are you partake wetsuitless - though I have seen one or two exceptions. Not sure if they'll count as qualifiers if you do it in a wetsuit - and i wouldn't count on getting a good handicap either. Again ask Brian Mongey, or pop down to the next race and ask Joe Browne.

Could suggest racing in shorter swims as qualifiers - There are two bull wall swims that are pretty quick (especially if you get a good tide). Gibney Cups in Malahide Marina. Cyril Duff. Look at the times for last years races - http://swimleinster.com/opensea.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭agrajag

do you need to be registered with a club to swim in the Sandycove race this coming Saturday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭snack_ie

Thank you...
    Ill look into it when I get home!
    Cheers Mate,

do you need to be registered with a club to swim in the Sandycove race this coming Saturday?

Yes. you can only swim open sea races if registered with swim ireland usually through a club although you may be able to register with swim ireland directly. This is for insurance purposes and also to give the handicapper an idea of your level as he can ask your fellow club members what your lstandard is. I think if you are a member of a triathlon club you may also be able to compete...

Seaswimmer wrote: »

Yes. you can only swim open sea races if registered with swim ireland usually through a club although you may be able to register with swim ireland directly. This is for insurance purposes and also to give the handicapper an idea of your level as he can ask your fellow club members what your lstandard is. I think if you are a member of a triathlon club you may also be able to compete...

thanks Seaswimmer - what are the chances of getting registered with a club before Saturday? :)

agrajag wrote: »
    thanks Seaswimmer - what are the chances of getting registered with a club before Saturday? :)

No chance. With all the scandals in swimming over the last few years registration is fairly strictly policed. You would want to be known by a few members of a club which takes part in the races. that was my experience anyway when i first registered a few years ago..

No chance. With all the scandals in swimming over the last few years registration is fairly strictly policed. You would want to be known by a few members of a club which takes part in the races. that was my experience anyway when i first registered a few years ago..

got my swim :) any idea when/where the results will be posted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Only for the Leinster swims. We're a bit more inclusive down south!

agrajag wrote: »
    got my swim :) any idea when/where the results will be posted?

mens results: http://www.swimleinster.com/OpenSea/results%202008/Glenalbyn%20-%20Men.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

So how did you do AGRAJAg ? What handicap did Joe give you, presume you were hammered being a newbie ?

Secman

secman wrote: »
    So how did you do AGRAJAg ? What handicap did Joe give you, presume you were hammered being a newbie ?

Secman

went off at 4.50 (on paul wynne's recommendation), and swam a 12.30, which I was quite happy with. yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

You're obviously a swimmer, going off with Frank Carroll etc !
    I'm obviously a plodder, went at go and swam it in 18:46, Hoping for pre go next time !

Best of luck for rest of season

Secman

• Advertisement

secman wrote: »
    You're obviously a swimmer, going off with Frank Carroll etc !
    I'm obviously a plodder, went at go and swam it in 18:46, Hoping for pre go next time !

Best of luck for rest of season

Secman

I think I stayed with Frank until the 2nd buoy, then lost him in a sea of yellow caps :)

Hopefully I'll get the three remaining qualifiers done for the Liffey, I'm determined to swim it this year!

Advertisement