Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International Space Station Visible This Weekend

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

It was a bit cloudy and still a bit bright, but I just saw both of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭rovers2001

Just seen the iss and space shuttle following behind through broken cloud over dublin fascinating stuff.

We'll have another chance to see both at about 6 minutes past midnight. Hopefully it will be clearer by then.

Sure might as well stay up no work tomorow:) and have a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Papercut

Flukey wrote: »
    We'll have another chance to see both at about 6 minutes past midnight. Hopefully it will be clearer by then.

Do you know what direction in the sky it'll be in exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

got out ten minutes late for it, but had a look anyway.. no joy. it occured to me though that I don't have a clue what i'm looking for, but it's not going to be a big issue anyway because there's a huge cloud bank moving in from the north.
    goodbye clear sky.

-0.1 00:06:30 10 WSW 00:07:52 13 SW 00:07:52 13 SW

from http://www.heavens-above.com/

is that entering from the west south west, and exiting in south west?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

I saw one of them passing over. I got a video of it which shows just how fast its moving. I didnt realise it was coming back over at midnight but ill be back out again. Hopefully it will still be clear andd a bit darker to make it easier to see. Will it still be in the same area of sky or will it be in a completely different place?
    Higher or lower maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

begins in the south western part of the sky moving from west to east, next pass at 6 minutes past midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

was just out side trying to get my bearings, just incase i was still awake later, was sure i was faceing the right direction, was going by the sun set, had my GPS watch out with me to verify, but it seemed less sure, kept jumping from one direction to another

although may be a bit to much light polution near me

• Advertisement

It will enter from the WSW, be highest in the SW and leave towards the SW. It will be a bit harder to see this time, as it will be further south of us and cross less of the sky as we see it. A good clear view of the horizon would be best.

I might not see it then. Not a very clear view of the horizon where I am but ill still try.
    Its really interesting to see them.

pretty clear view of the horizon here, I'll try find the digital camera and take some ufo style footage

The next one won't be as high as the earlier pass. That one was quite high, but the next will be lower. If you are looking at the prediction sites, you'll see the height shown. 90° would be directly overhead. The earlier one was at 38° whereas the next will only be about 12°. A lower pass also means that it won't be in the sky for as long. The ISS pass tomorrow night, at about 22:53 will be about 23°. The passes always come from the western part of the sky heading generally southeastwards, or if you prefer off the north Atlantic and heading towards Europe and down towards the Mediterranean. Sometimes they are much further south, down towards Spain or the north of Africa. They are the ones that are harder to see, like the later one will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭CO19

What direction do you look in if you're in south Dublin ?? :confused:

Southwesterly. This pass will be harder to see. The earlier one was better and so will tomorrow night's, though not as good as the one earlier.

I saw both of them this time around. The ISS was a lot brighter than the shuttle. The shuttle was moving much faster though. They were both gone within 5 mins of first site.

No joy this time. I didn't really expect it, given the path of the pass this time. 22:53, Monday night. Set your alarms or whatever for a few minutes before that. You'll have a better chance, weather permitting of course.

I seen the iss obviously the brighter as its bigger didnt spot shuttle very far south of dublin at approx 00.07am exciting stuff great to have a bit of weather to see these things normally never can when there is anything to view in the night sky.some great info there flukey fair play.

The dates, times, heights etc. are all available from Heavens Above and n2yo.com so just look there. Once they know your location you'll get the information you need. N2yo can detect it from your IP address and with Heavens Above you just have to put in your location. There will be a number of chances to see them this week. After Monday the two will be together, which means that they may be slightly brighter under the right conditions. So keep watching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 luketheone

If you want reminders or have problems accessing heavens-above I made a parser for the ISS passes page on his site which sends emails. You could check them on your phone when you're out-n-about. I just made it for me initially but if anyone has any suggestions I could try improve it (though I don't really know what I'm doing...)

http://www.luke-harris.com/satellite-tracker

-luke

Tough to spot it tonight bit just got a glimpse there at 10.54pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 irish0808

Any idea what time and direction the space station will be visable from Meath/North Dublin tommorow (Tuesday 03 June 08)?
    I missed seeing it tonight with the amound of cloud coverage?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

think i might have seen a glimsp of something, but very cloudy, plus to many house tops blocking the view

irish0808 wrote: »
    Any idea what time and direction the space station will be visable from Meath/North Dublin tommorow (Tuesday 03 June 08)?
    I missed seeing it tonight with the amound of cloud coverage?
    Thanks

It won't be a great pass tonight. It will be at about 23:15, coming from the WSW and heading towards the south. It won't be very high. Wednesday night, at about 22:02 will be better. It will rise in the W and head towards the SSE. There will be a final one on Thursday night, and that will be the last we'll see of it for a while. It will start at 22:25, with similar directions to tonight's one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

i just saw it passing over cork

I just saw it. Not a bad pass at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The two passes to come will probably be obscured by clouds. Missed them all so far :(

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Nice one Flukey, got a good view of it tonight (forgot about it on the night for good viewing)....caught really nicely against the dusk, changed colours a bit as it passed, then it went behind rooftops. Hope we have clear skies tomorrow night, not looking good though...

• Advertisement

Excellent pass great night for it from where i was looking north dublin looking south.

Advertisement