Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Custom Rifles

Options
  • 30-05-2008 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone here own a custom rifle? I am thinking of getting one made in about a years time and want to see would anyone recommend the work of guys here in Ireland.

Any chance of some pics, feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Just out of curiosity, what sort of setup are you going for?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

well to be honest I was hoping to get something like the following

http://www.tacticaloperations.com/limaseries/

I don't want a dedicated F-Class rifle

I am not going to bother unless reloading becomes more accessible because I want a steady supply of quality ammo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

Remmy 700 action and standard remmy action? says alot for remmington if it's as good as it says on the tin
    Bryan

BryanL wrote: »
    Remmy 700 action and standard remmy action? says alot for remmington if it's as good as it says on the tin
    Bryan

all the stuff is fully blueprinted so I'd say it doesn't really matter what the action is cos they pimp the bejaysus out of it.

I'd bet remington don't complain though that their gear gets used in a lot of custom rifles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

I think this would knock the socks off the Remy tbh

gewehrQuer.jpg

It's not an ISSF rifle, but it's got all the trimmings and would make a serious dent in your wallet. Available in four calibres up to .308 Win.

Ten shot mag etc.

If you really want to see some serious kit, have a look here.

• Advertisement

I don't know rrpc what kind of MOA groups are those rifles capable off and how much are they.

The tacs ops rifles come with a guarantee of 0.25 MOA and they're remmington actions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

Vegeta wrote: »
    I don't know rrpc what kind of MOA groups are those rifles capable off and how much are they.

The tacs ops rifles come with a guarantee of 0.25 MOA and they're remmington actions.

if your looking for a guarantee buy a toaster ,,

jwshooter wrote: »
    if your looking for a guarantee buy a toaster ,,

well if Im spendin 4-5K on a rifle I'd like the builder to stand over his work.

What's the point in getting a rifle built if its going to shoot the same as somehting you pick up off the shelf

.25 MOA??? That wouldn't do around here!!, Around here we have to be spot on! :)

I couldn't tell you Veg, I don't know. All I do know is Bleiker are one of the most sought after target rifles in the world and cost about €6000 a pop.

What's the point in getting a rifle built if its going to shoot the same as somehting you pick up off the shelf

None. It really depend on what shelf you're buying from. Bleiker usually manufacture to order, so I suppose that's not off the shelf either. G+E are the same AFAIK, though I think they get their barrels from Anschütz.

• Advertisement

only ****en with you .veg ,.shooting times this week bruce potts built his own rifle in his own cal,, interesting read ,, there is a few names in the uk that can come up with the goods what cal are you tinking about im getting one built at the moment ..rifle builders are like lap dancers easy get one but hard to get a gud one

only ****en with you .veg ,.shooting times this week bruce potts built his own rifle in his own cal,, interesting read ,, there is a few names in the uk that can come up with the goods what cal are you tinking about im getting one built at the moment ..rifle builders are like lap dancers easy get one but hard to get a gud one

phew I thought I'd said something to annoy you.

Was thinking .308 as its a well known round when it comes to reloading, will shoot to 1000 yards for targtes and if the brother gets rid of the .270, the .308 would fill the slot nicely.

for some reason i'd love a 6.5x55 as its an accurate round but it doesn't deform very well on game so I wouldn't be mad about shooting deer with it.

its all early days yet really but would rather give the job to a capable irish guy rather than have to comission one abroad and go through the hassle of importing it. So looking into now

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

Hi Veg,

.243 has a custom job built by John Greene. A remy action in .243ackley. PM him for the full story.

Hezz

for some reason i'd love a 6.5x55 as its an accurate round but it doesn't deform very well on game so I wouldn't be mad about shooting deer with it.

i'm amazed to read that, i thought it was great on game? Have seen a few work to great effect and it gets rave reviews on many message boards
    Bryan

I was surprised to hear the same Bryan. I have never used it on deer myself as my brother has a .270 and that is all I have seen deer taken with.

I have read on other sites (and here by the odd user) that they feel the 6.5x55 over penetrates due to its long thin shape. That was enough to put doubt in my mind. I have not ruled it out however as I will probably shoot way more target than hunting.

As you can see I am not even 100% on caliber yet. Really just looking for peoples opinions on guys they have used. PMs welcome if they don't want to put it in public

I was surprised to hear the same Bryan. I have never used it on deer myself as my brother has a .270 and that is all I have seen deer taken with.

I have read on other sites (and here by the odd user) that they feel the 6.5x55 over penetrates due to its long thin shape. That was enough to put doubt in my mind. I have not ruled it out however as I will probably shoot way more target than hunting.

As you can see I am not even 100% on caliber yet. Really just looking for peoples opinions on guys they have used. PMs welcome if they don't want to put it in public

iv see alot of deer shot with the 6.5x55 .its a slow round and lads use to heavy and hard a bullet and it passes through the animal with expending its enegry inside .i know there is a lot of deer shot with it but there is also a lot lost with it i would much rather see a lad coming with a 243 , did you get to see the shooting times after

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I too in about another year or two will want a nice big expensive rifle.
    But will want it specifically for F-Class and if they ever build the 1000m range
    it would be nice to have something that could be used to reach out and touch
    targets there too. I would like to able to buy one in Ireland though and not
    need to have to start importing etc.

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Red Renard

Vegeta. I also have been asking about to find out more about this caliber myself. What I have found out is that american ammunition is loaded with less power because old military rifles are still firing it, these old rifles are not as strong as a modern made rifles and this is the reason some shooters dont like this caliber.
    If you can reload it this improves greatly what it can do. Its mostly found loaded with the slow heavy bullets, I would want to try a lighter faster bullet to see will it shoot small to medium deer as well as my 243. Can
    you find the 6.5 loaded ammunition with 100 grain bullet weight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Gunter Mauser

Can you find the 6.5 loaded ammunition with 100 grain bullet weight?

Don't think so but Norma have a 6.5x55 120 grain loaded hot. You will have to order it in specially as most dealers don't carry Norma ammunition
    here. Reloading gets the most from this round.:rolleyes:

Red Renard wrote: »
    Vegeta. I also have been asking about to find out more about this caliber myself. What I have found out is that american ammunition is loaded with less power because old military rifles are still firing it, these old rifles are not as strong as a modern made rifles and this is the reason some shooters dont like this caliber.
    If you can reload it this improves greatly what it can do. Its mostly found loaded with the slow heavy bullets, I would want to try a lighter faster bullet to see will it shoot small to medium deer as well as my 243. Can
    you find the 6.5 loaded ammunition with 100 grain bullet weight?

no 100gr on any of my loading charts for 6.5 ,i think you can get a 127 gr ballistic tip head for them .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

no 100gr on any of my loading charts for 6.5 ,i think you can get a 127 gr ballistic tip head for them .

hornady do both 95 grain and 100 grain bullets for the 6.5 by 55 swedish,
    one in v max and the other in softpoint.

95/100 grain fast and flat shooting unfortunately they have to be reloaded. 6.5x55 was designed originally as a 120 grainer great round
    that can do just about anything if given the chance.:o

must ask a friend but i know he has 6.5x55 in lapua 109 gr and possibly some lighter rounds too,bought off the shelf in Ireland.But he has been using Federal 120 gr, great in the wind and a good stopping round
    Bryan

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/1481504/page/1/fpart/2

Page.1

Approximate impact velocity:
    90-100gr.............2850-2900fps
    120gr..................2750-2800fps
    125gr..................2600-2700fps
    129-130gr............2550-2600fps
    140gr-142.5gr.......2500-2550fps
    156-160gr............2400-2500fps
    168gr..................2300-2400fps

hornady do both 95 grain and 100 grain bullets for the 6.5 by 55 swedish,
    one in v max and the other in softpoint.

heads only in 95 and 100 gr they sell only one bullet its in 140 gr ,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Leaving the whole killing animals and hunting out of the picture for a moment..... soft points, hard points, heavy bullet, light but fast bullet,
    Big feck off size or small midget size.............................

leaving Killing things out of the way for a while whats the best
    factory made (without reloading)buy off the shelf round available in Eire that would be suited to shooting at a target at 600-1000m taking into account that the average Joe may not be able to afford 6mm BR and would like a long barrel life before having to try and go though the task of getting a rifle re-barreled.

~B

the thread has gone some what off track , custom rifles

I don't really mind JW, its all research after all.

Like if someone comes out and says, "I've shot both .308 and 6.5x55 to 1000 yards and I think the .308 is a better option because of x,y and z" well then that'll help some folk thinking of getting into long range shooting on a budget.

I think bullets question is a great question and probably deserves a thread of its own but I don't mind if folks talk about it here.

Although some first hand experience with builders would still be great. :D

I don't really mind JW, its all research after all.

Like if someone comes out and says, "I've shot both .308 and 6.5x55 to 1000 yards and I think the .308 is a better option because of x,y and z" well then that'll help some folk thinking of getting into long range shooting on a budget.

I think bullets question is a great question and probably deserves a thread of its own but I don't mind if folks talk about it here.

Although some first hand experience with builders would still be great. :D

i would agree on the 308 ,some of the best 1000 yard groups have been shot with 6mm br .the 243 shooting a 115 gr bullet is very highly regarded in the usa .. steve kershaw in the uk is building one for me at te min .im getting a heavy sporter profile match grade barrel by lothar walther, stock by mcmillan a varmint sako 75 in green and black marble ,the action is a sako 75 as i like the six shots for culling ,,im getting the action and barrel done in duracoat in mat black .. o and its a 270

• Advertisement

For a long time the 7.62 was considered the calibre of choice for 1000 yard shooting. AFAIK, it's still very widely used.

Advertisement