Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Custom Rifles

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

It's still the only round used for Palma shooting (7.62mmNATO rather than .308).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

Getting back to custom rifles:-
    Would a shooter not be better to buy a good factory rifle with a good action and then go for a barrel upgrade to get better accuracy??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I dunno, I like the idea of having my specs built into a rifle as a unique job, from stock through action,barrel, scope, bases, mounts, trigger, calibre and any other little bits as well. It'd be interesting, and you end up with a pretty fantastic rifle, that fits and suits you completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Would a shooter not be better to buy a good factory rifle with a good action and then go for a barrel upgrade to get better accuracy??

Well that's what most rifle builders do, I doubt many make their own actions.

EDIT: Just to add they will usually square and true every aspect of the action and bolt. Lap the bolt so it locks into the action perfectly.
    Do some work on the recoil lug, some form of tight tolerance grinding, don't understand that really. That's just I've read and I am completely ignorant when it comes to smithing so I am sure there is a lot more to it than that.

So even with a "good" factory action there is still some work involved with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Gunter Mauser

Ivan's, advice is a sensible affordable piece of advice to give. What caliber to use is also another big decision, it all comes down to cost and what you can afford.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Yeah, but cost tends to be less of a factor in a custom built gun, because you're already going to have resigned yourself to paying quite a sum for it. Someday I'd love to get one built, and help build it myself if possible, and when that day comes, my wallet will weep. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sandy22

rrpc wrote: »
    For a long time the 7.62 was considered the calibre of choice for 1000 yard shooting. AFAIK, it's still very widely used.

Only where it's de facto mandatory, or there are other, e.g. logistical constraints.

Sparks wrote: »
    It's still the only round used for Palma shooting (7.62mmNATO rather than .308).

It's absolutely mandatory for Palma - you've no choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

truth be told theres only one choice to the irish shooter in general for 1000 yard shooting and thats 308 winchester, cos its got the most match grade loads available, and the best are those of 175 grain and above in order to get the speed coupled with the higher B.C bullets.
    as for what rifle?, i think its fair to say that nowadays any good factory rifle using match grade ammo should be capable of 1 moa or better at 100 yds, therefore theoretically they could shoot a ten inch group at 1000 yds,2 newcomers could take to long range shooting at 1000 yds at the same time, one with a high quality precision rifle like a surgeon and the other with a standard factory job- but the difference in wind speed and direction coupled with weather conditions etc will soon leave the two of them scratching their heads-and negate any difference in their rifles.
    The inherent accuracy of the rifle is well down on the list of requirements
    for long range work, a good rifle with proper scope, one that the true minute of angle adjustments are known not read on the box, with proper
    drop charts and wind tables, wind meter and flags etc are whats needed along with lots of trigger time-starting off spend the money on ammo!
    cos thats the key to long range work-trigger time!

After that i would buy a surgeon in 308!

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

Barometric pressure is a right bitch................at least thats what i always blame for long range misses:D:D:D

I gotta agree with FS.243 though, .308 factory jobbie would be a sensible option for someone starting out. Then you can get the aftermarket work done if required.

eg. US made rifles always come with heavy triggers to avoid litigation, on the the other hand european made offerings while lighter in general are often fitted with set triggers providing scarely light breaks. For the average joe shooter replacing something like this will show little if no difference on paper.

Don't beleive all the hype:

Not all rifles need to be recrowned
    Not all rifle will benifit from Glass bedding
    Not all rifles need replacement triggers

Caliber will always be a personal thing and all the various 1000 yarders have their pro's and con's, but if your unsure i would say go with .308. There's lots of choice regarding ammo and the costs are reasonable enough.

When the whole reloading thing is sorted out will be time enough to start getting into the exotics (7mm Boo Boo and the like)

Hezz

Hezz700 wrote: »
    Barometric pressure is a right bitch................at least thats what i always blame for long range misses:D:D:D

I gotta agree with FS.243 though, .308 factory jobbie would be a sensible option for someone starting out. Then you can get the aftermarket work done if required.

eg. US made rifles always come with heavy triggers to avoid litigation, on the the other hand european made offerings while lighter in general are often fitted with set triggers providing scarely light breaks. For the average joe shooter replacing something like this will show little if no difference on paper.

Don't beleive all the hype:

Not all rifles need to be recrowned
    Not all rifle will benifit from Glass bedding
    Not all rifles need replacement triggers

Caliber will always be a personal thing and all the various 1000 yarders have their pro's and con's, but if your unsure i would say go with .308. There's lots of choice regarding ammo and the costs are reasonable enough.

When the whole reloading thing is sorted out will be time enough to start getting into the exotics (7mm Boo Boo and the like)

Hezz
    yeah hezz theres plenty of calibers that can do the job , its ammo thats
    the problem and the inability to reload counts a lot out of the equation-
    mores the pity- so the 308 offers best ammo choice at the minute.

• Advertisement

yeah hezz theres plenty of calibers that can do the job , its ammo thats
    the problem and the inability to reload counts a lot out of the equation-
    mores the pity- so the 308 offers best ammo choice at the minute.

Its only a matter of time;):rolleyes:

but if your unsure i would say go with .308. There's lots of choice regarding ammo and the costs are reasonable enough.

Hezz

Thanks guys, its great to get info from guys out there doing it.

So what are you paying for 20 rounds of match grade ammo. Please don't say over 40 euro or am I being naive.

The thought of sending 2 euro down range evertime I pull the trigger makes me sick. People are probably thinking, well you cant shoot long range and not spend money on ammo. Well that's why I want the ability to reload so badly, I know it wont save millions.

foxshooter, roughly how much were the homeloaded rounds for the .308 sako heavy barrel project?

Its only a matter of time;):rolleyes:

fingers crossed Hezz. If there's one thing that I want out of the FCP then that's it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Vegeta wrote: »
    So what are you paying for 20 rounds of match grade ammo. Please don't say over 40 euro or am I being naive.
    I'm buying Lapua Scenars and Hornady Match in .308 for €34-38/box of 20.
    At this stage, I've pretty much abandoned firing el cheapo stuff (American Eagle, Remington UMC, and the like), as they only mess with my head when I'm hunkered down at the bench looking through the scope at bizarre flyers 300 meters away.
    With the good quality stuff, accuracy well under MOA can be taken for granted, approaching 0.5MOA if I do everything right; flyers are my fault, either from poor technique or bad observation of the wind/mirage.

I'll use what I have left of the cheap stuff if I'm giving someone (who's not a 'target shooter') a few shots of the rifle, but apart from that, it'll be on a diet of good stuff from now on.

Vegeta wrote: »
    Thanks guys, its great to get info from guys out there doing it.

The thought of sending 2 euro down range evertime I pull the trigger makes me sick. People are probably thinking, well you cant shoot long range and not spend money on ammo. Well that's why I want the ability to reload so badly, I know it wont save millions.

foxshooter, roughly how much were the homeloaded rounds for the .308 sako heavy barrel project?

ammo cost for home loaded ammo was : bullet head 23p
    powder charge 20p
    primer 3.5 p in £stg
    hitting clay at 1000 yds Priceless:D

Rovi wrote: »
    I'm buying Lapua Scenars and Hornady Match in .308 for €34-38/box of 20.
    At this stage, I've pretty much abandoned firing el cheapo stuff (American Eagle, Remington UMC, and the like), as they only mess with my head when I'm hunkered down at the bench looking through the scope at bizarre flyers 300 meters away.
    With the good quality stuff, accuracy well under MOA can be taken for granted, approaching 0.5MOA if I do everything right; flyers are my fault, either from poor technique or bad observation of the wind/mirage.

I'll use what I have left of the cheap stuff if I'm giving someone (who's not a 'target shooter') a few shots of the rifle, but apart from that, it'll be on a diet of good stuff from now on.

what type of rifle are you using rovi?

what type of rifle are you using rovi?
    Sako TRG-22-
    pelifull9mj.jpg

I know it won't live with the custom built race guns, but it shoots way better than I do.

...or am ever likely to. :D

Sako TRG-22-
    pelifull9mj.jpg

I know it won't live with the custom built race guns, but it shoots way better than I do.

nice combination sako/nightforce-great long range set-up;):D

Sako TRG-22-
    pelifull9mj.jpg

Beautiful....

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Glad to see it's in a decent case, you wouldn't want to go dropping it ;)

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote: »
    Glad to see it's in a decent case, you wouldn't want to go dropping it ;)
    Well, it was designed and built for another type of 'target shooting' (which is beyond the remit of this forum), so it's a pretty robust bit of kit; that said, I'm not taking liberties with it.

Anyhow, at least the stock isn't made out of recycled saucepans or similar mystery metal that'll break if you look at it funny nanawt0.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

Sako TRG-22-
    pelifull9mj.jpg

its a fine rifle but its not a custom ,bog standard off the peg any one got some fine hard wear out there to tell us about ,,any one got custom hunting rifles

I can see how the custom bug might bite a shooter:D but is it not a bit preemptive considering the harsh facts that custom rifles deserve custom ammunition.
    To have a custom firearm running of factory pills is surely its a kin to owning a sports car that runs on diesel:rolleyes:

At what point is the reloading issue at, in the Emerald Isle? :confused::confused::mad::(:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

To have a custom firearm running of factory pills is surely its a kin to owning a sports car that runs on diesel:rolleyes:(:confused:

nothing wrong with a GT TDI Golf. Anyway we've got the greens to blame for it. Shooting will be next!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

I can see how the custom bug might bite a shooter:D but is it not a bit preemptive considering the harsh facts that custom rifles deserve custom ammunition.
    To have a custom firearm running of factory pills is surely its a kin to owning a sports car that runs on diesel:rolleyes:

At what point is the reloading issue at, in the Emerald Isle? :confused::confused::mad::(:confused:
    you have hit the nail square on the middle of the head ivan ,, the is alot of crap on this site about loading , if your not willing to go to the uk or get some one to post it too you are stuck with off the shelf ammo .factory ammo is first class now as are most rifles off the shelf, the custom rifle will give the user a better chance of shooting well even with off the shelf ammo ie trigger stock fit, barrel fit in the action list can go on and its nice to have something no one else will have .most of my friends load to some extent but still mostly shoot off the shelf i have all the loading this 15 years and i have 2 kgs of n160 in the safe for years now but factory ammo shoots well enough for me

jwshooter wrote: »
    you have hit the nail square on the middle of the head ivan ,, the is alot of crap on this site about loading , if your not willing to go to the uk or get some one to post it too you are stuck with off the shelf ammo .factory ammo is first class now as are most rifles off the shelf, the custom rifle will give the user a better chance of shooting well even with off the shelf ammo ie trigger stock fit, barrel fit in the action list can go on and its nice to have something no one else will have .most of my friends load to some extent but still mostly shoot off the shelf i have all the loading this 15 years and i have 2 kgs of n160 in the safe for years now but factory ammo shoots well enough for me
    Its not just the reloading issue that put a stumble in the stride of the custom rifle shooter as well as the factory rifle shooters but is also the limited supply of different loadings and grains of ammunition available in what ever caliber you like in the back rooms of Irish Gun shops.
    I don't know much about supply of ammo period. But I'd be willing to splash out and buy a big box of "Off the shelf ammo in the USA" but alas for legal restrictions.
    Who if any one can import ammo from the USA, what sort of quantities would i need to be talking about to get a Irish gun dealer to take the bait? I realise that i could only posses my legal limit at any one time but some other shooter might be interested is sharing in the bounty of American ammo.

Is ammunition in this country restricted to certain max grain for a particular caliber?

http://www.pakwheels.com/forumreply_az_TopicID!74356~ForumID!28~pw.html

http://www.gizmag.com/go/5756/ Ivan if you can reload outside Eire
    lucky you dont rub it in.

Alright Gunter it wasn't the best example i could have picked..
    12 cylinders in diesel, what can i say:confused::D

Nothing not even a word,,, Say your prayers and go to bed. night Ivan.

• Advertisement
Advertisement