Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Origin of Airport Codes

Options
  • 30-05-2008 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Does anyone know where the names for Shannon (EINN) and Dublin (EIDW) originated from?

I know the EI is Ireland and the other 2 established at national level.
    Does anyone know where the NN and DW came from?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

Cab't answer eidw or einn, but EICM is for Carnmore, I presume its just the are they're in, nn for Shannon I guess, its the ICAO code so it is probably them that make them up and not the airport itself or IAA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Four letter codes are designated by ICAO, www.icao.int

Three letter codes are designated by IATA, www.iata.org

Have a browse, all the info is there.

HTH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

EIME-Baldonnel Apperently ME is Mhic Easmainn which is Gaeilge for Casement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

Must admit I have often wondered where they get EINN from, why not EISH or EISN, likewise Dublin EIDW. Where did the DW come from? Why not EIDB or EIDN? EICM does make sense though.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭crookesa

vulcan57 wrote: »
    Must admit I have often wondered where they get EINN from, why not EISH or EISN, likewise Dublin EIDW. Where did the DW come from? Why not EIDB or EIDN? EICM does make sense though.

Yeah that's the one I'm trying to work out. Found out that Shannon is named after the townsland that it's located in is Rineanna. Now to unscramble the Dublin (DW) puzzle!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

I think EIDW is Dublin West i dunno where but ive heard that before. How could it be West??:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 bonjo1983

EIWF is waterford which makes sense, EIWD might of suited it better

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

vulcan57 wrote: »

EISN is already the ICAO code for Shannon Control Centre

Advertisement