Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft having a laugh?

Options
  • 30-05-2008 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭

Here is the situation.
    I brought my xbox 360 back to the shop today because of
    the lovable red ring of death:pac:

When I got home, I noticed the power lead was missing.
    No problem I said to myself, as I gleefully plugged a 3 pin kettle lead into
    the AC adapter. It didn't fit.

Next, I simply cut the PVC outer jacket and cut a small rectangular hole to
    match up with the AC adapter connector.
    2 mins work = possibly 20 euro saved, without having to resort to buying
    their "official" cable.

Do they really think these measures are difficult to circumvent?
    LOL at the thought of having to source their own cable to turn the bloody thing on.
    Screw Microsoft and their overpriced "accessories" :mad: [/rant]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Well done fairplay. I have looked at that cable with puzzlement a few times. Dell are another nasty company for that kind of carryon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭ve

Naikon wrote: »
    Do they really think these measures are difficult to circumvent?
    Screw Microsoft and their overpriced "accessories" :mad: [/rant]
    Well done mate. You're absolutely right. I know what you did isn't exactly rocket science, but you could make a few quid patching cables for folks as a replacement. This thing of large companies taking something like a normal power lead and changing the connector so you have to buy from them is a joke. As is Dell modding the DIMM sockets on their motherboards.

Do what you can and help those who can't is my motto ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

ve wrote: »
    Do what you can and help those who can't is my motto ;)

I agree, couldn't ever charge people for such a stupid design decision though:rolleyes:
    Kudos to the person in Microsoft marketing who came up with such a money maker:D

-Naikon

• Registered Users Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

This occurred due to a fuse problem on the original Xbox, which meant MS had to replace all the cables (the fuse rating was incorrect and often shorted, leading to a fire hazard). By customising it slightly, it stops users using a non standard cable, and keeps them from being sued.

Dell has never "modded" their Dimm sockets, their memory support was a function of the memory controller, which often wasn't as tuned as generic atx boards, so it wouldn't support RAM with certain timings. Lots of companies supply DELL RAM guaranteed for those machines. They do however use non standard PSU's, but this was generally for cost cutting than anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭TheWitch06

My friend did the same thing except he didn't have the red rings of death at the time :pac: His plug just decided to die and he cut around the area to fit a different ac adapter in as a replacement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Go Go IEEE standards organisation!

(I'm pretty sure they handle this. Apologies to any engineers offended by my ignorance)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

In fairness to MS mine failed on me. They sent me a replacement 3 pin plug for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Microsoft have too much money, they should give better service and replace anything that breaks for free. It not our fault about power adapters and red rings.

Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    Microsoft have too much money, they should give better service and replace anything that breaks for free. It not our fault about power adapters and red rings.

I take comfort in the fact Linux distributions will cut them down to size in the coming years.
    Hopefully more games coded with OpenGL appear too.
    Ba$7ards:mad:

I take comfort in the fact Linux will cut them down to size in the coming years.
    Hopefully more games coded with OpenGL appear too.
    Ba$7ards:mad:

Who knows what the future will hold, Sega may even return with a console...BOM BOM BOM! :D

• Advertisement

Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    Who knows what the future will hold, Sega may even return with a console...BOM BOM BOM! :D

Hopefully, streets of rage was the best game on the Genesis:pac:
    How things have changed.

Hopefully, streets of rage was the best game on the Genesis:pac:
    How things have changed.

Yeah it was probably the best game, the second one was pretty good too. I would love to see a more up to date game similar to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Various companies have been trying 3D beat'em'ups like this since the PS1.
    They all failed because it just. Doesn't. WORK.

So what the HELL do you mean by "more up-to-date"?

...go play Beats of Rage and quit destroying your nostalgic memories.

Advertisement