Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3D Visualisation Movie

Options
  • 30-05-2008 9:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi,
    I am developing a medical device microchip and want to illustrate its internal mechanics/processes with a simple 3D movie on my website. But I have no idea where to start or even what type of programmer/developer that I am looking for.

My idea is to have a Flash(?)/XML(?)/Other(?) based movie as a product demo on my site. I am thinking along the lines of an eye-in-the-sky observer "flying" into the chip and observing the various processes going on. The processes inside in the chip that would need illustration include i) liquids flowing into chip inside tiny canals ii) liquids from different canals mixing iii) beams of light shining on them iv) cameras taking a picture of various interactions ....

I hope this vague description doesn't sound daft, but this is not area. Any guidance would help. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

Al Butler at mediaplatform.ie is a great chap. Worked with him before -- very talented and professional. Has worked with top companies and will not rip you off like some of the bigger companies.

http://www.iftn.ie/commercials/Studios/?act1=record&aid=12&rid=1060&only=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭jerryob

Cantab. wrote: »
    Al Butler at mediaplatform.ie is a great chap. Worked with him before -- very talented and professional. Has worked with top companies and will not rip you off like some of the bigger companies.

http://www.iftn.ie/commercials/Studios/?act1=record&aid=12&rid=1060&only=1

Thanks Cantab. After doing some more research, I can better describe what I'm looking for. It's along the line of a 2nd life or VR scene using one of VRML/X3D/Java3D/... Only I want the scene to be inside the silicon chip, with rivers(?) for my liquid canals, and so on.

I came across Flux Studio 2.1 editor which is a "modeling and animation application for creating real-time Web 3D (X3D) content and virtual worlds on the Web". It's available for free download - very cool, although it's difficult for a newbie to navigate/understand. They changed their name to Vivaty, and seem to be going more commercial.... So the free download may not last.

So to rephrase my question: Does anyone know any x3D/VRML experts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

I'd suggest your stop trying to figure out everything for yourself and focus on the effect your want rather than the technology.

Now, you most likely need to find yourself a 3D modeller rather than a programmer as there may not be a need to have any programming at all, and if there is, it should be decided after you've picked the technology. Currently ytou're being very vague and throwing around all sorts of ideas.

Here's a few things you need to decide on, before you can move forward.

- Can people move around it and control the scene themselves?
    - You mentioned a VR scene. Is that really the best way to communicate to your audience? Perhaps a good illustration could suffice. It's easy to get carried away with an idea that's not appropriate.
    - Let the designer advise you on the technology. For example, VRML is dead - and no browsers really support it. Most likely you'll be doing something clever with Flash, or Director.
    - 'Live 3D' where you're actually manipulating a 3D object in a browser generally looks crappy. Usually for best results people pre-render the scene or object and use Flash to merely jump to various points in a movie so they can get the best quality.

Look at the 'what we do' section of this site, as that could be an approach that would work well for you: http://www.mavericcontractors.com/

Either way, if you want anything good, you're probably going to have to pay for it.

These guys might be worth talking to - they do a lot of Director 3D stuff:
    http://meedja.ie/
    or
    http://www.candointeractive.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭jerryob

Thanks p. This is exactly the type of advice I was looking for. Sorry about the vagueness - I had no idea how to ask the question...
    p wrote: »
    - Can people move around it and control the scene themselves?
    - You mentioned a VR scene. Is that really the best way to communicate to your audience? Perhaps a good illustration could suffice. It's easy to get carried away with an idea that's not appropriate.
    - Let the designer advise you on the technology. For example, VRML is dead - and no browsers really support it. Most likely you'll be doing something clever with Flash, or Director.
    - 'Live 3D' where you're actually manipulating a 3D object in a browser generally looks crappy. Usually for best results people pre-render the scene or object and use Flash to merely jump to various points in a movie so they can get the best quality.
    - ... I would rather people not control or move around it, preferring to keep it simple and small for fast loading(?)
    - ... I think so. But I'm totally open to advice. As you say, it'll come down to what the designer/modeller would advise.
    - Good. As long as the player(?) is a default on IE/Firefox browsers.
    - I'll stay away from Live3D so...

The mavericcontractors.com/ stuff is really cool, and professional looking. Now that I know (ish) what I'm looking for, I should be able to take it from here.

Thanks again p.

Advertisement