Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

switching banks,how much?

• 30-05-2008 10:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭

hello all,
    im looking to change from my current bank ,does anyone know how much this costs or if any bank do it for free?

i also see alot of people talking about what type of mortgage/rates they want could someone explain this for me too.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

It should not cost you anything apart from time.

Can you elaborate a little on your second question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭markos79

(tracker, fixed, variable etc) im a bit lost when it comes to this stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

A tracker rate moves in line with a predetermined parameter. This is usually the ECB's main lending rate. For example, the ECB's rate is 3%, you take out a tracker mortgage whereupon the arrangement is whatever the ECB rate is your lending charges you a set amount on top of that, say .75%.

This means that as long as the ECB rate is 3%, you will be charged 3.75%. If the ECB rate moves to 5%, tha rate you get is 5.75%.

The same applies if rates go down.

Some of the tracker rate have penalties for paying off early.

A fixed rate is where the bank will charge you an interest rate, which will never change, even if the ECB rate were to plummet. Fixed rates are usually taken out over a set number of years and as the term comes to a close your lender will usually make you an offer of a new fixed rate or you can let the mortgage lapse into a variable rate.

You will find there are, in nearly all cases, charges if you want to change your mortgage or pay off early during the term of the fixed rate.

A variable rate is exactly that, the lender can change the rate at any time, for any reason and only needs to write to you to inform you that they are doing so.

There are rarely charges for paying off a variable rate early or switching the mortgage to another lender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

markos79 wrote: »
    (tracker, fixed, variable etc) im a bit lost when it comes to this stuff
    I don't know what a tracker mortgage is.

Sorry :(

Try http://www.itsyourmoney.ie/ for some more info though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

random wrote: »
    I don't know what a tracker mortgage is.

Never gets old does it :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭markos79

thanks kaiser for the info.

i do know what a tracker mortgage is now!!!!!:D:D

Advertisement