Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Euroskeptics vote yes to Lisbon?

Options
  • 30-05-2008 10:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭

Since the treaty sets out formally a method for member states to withdraw from the EU, should Eurosceptics vote yes? I know some people may be anti-EU in a "this far, no further" sort of sense rather wanting to withdraw completely, but I think it's still something worth thinking about.

I've also heard a lot of people saying they'd be voting no because they dislike the way the EU is run at present, too much red tape and beauraucracy, it's not democratic, etc... Would these people also be better advised to vote yes, since Lisbon seems aimed at eliminating these problems?

I'm not trying push a "yes" vote here, just looking for some discussion. :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I'm not sure that eurosceptics would want to vote yes because the chance of Ireland ever leaving the EU is slim. I'm pretty sure they would take the view that it would be near impossible to go back so they can only try and stop it progressing.

Anyone who feels the EU is overly bureaucratic and lacks democratic accountability should vote yes. I'm pretty sure that when the councils open up and people see what goes on they will realise that it's not as anti-democratic as they were lead to believe, and it should sort out some of the bereaucracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

I doubt any Eurosceptic would ever be able to persuade their government to pull out. So, my answers NO. But some Eurosceptics might like the small amount of democracy thats being introduced in the treaty. As with all things Lisbon its a yes no

Advertisement