Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

360 aint so noisy....

• 30-05-2008 11:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭

i was pleasantly surprised that the console aint that noisy. i smell ps3 fanboyism when i hear people comparing it to a fecking jet plane! obviously these idiots have never heard a dreamcast with PSO online.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    i was pleasantly surprised that the console aint that noisy. i smell ps3 fanboyism when i hear people comparing it to a fecking jet plane! obviously these idiots have never heard a dreamcast with PSO online.

I have a launch 360 and it sounds like an air conditioner (though you do adapt). You probably have one of the new Falcon 360s that are apparently quieter ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Bought a brand new Premium model 360 (Falcon chip) a few weeks back and I have to say it is quite loud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I had a 360 for a good while before owning a PS3, and only bothered buying one of those on a whim. So can't really be tarred as a PS3 fanboi.
    As much as I adore the 360, it's a ****ing horrendously noisy yoke!
    Got myself a falcon core Elite in the hopes that it'd be quieter, but couldn't tell any difference tbh....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭TheWitch06

My 360 sounds like a hoover :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Yea some are loud but you get used to it, or the tv is louder :P

Flashed Consoles are louder also or quieter depending on how you flashed it.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

As an "idiot" who owns a PS3, 360 (my third) and have a DC amongst others, the 360 is a noisy beast, if you own a recent one then yes, they are that bit quieter but up to now they have indeed made a racket, not very good late at night when most other folk are trying to get sleep and you have to turn the TV up to hear the game, my machine sounded like a hairdrier, the first 2 anyway, my HDMI model is much better, noisier than the PS3 though, which is a launch 60gb model, with the integral PSU, yet it does little more than whisper.

The DC was noisy too, but not to the extent of the 360.

And as for it being "fanboyism", regardless of the noise my 360 produced I still have played and finished a lot of great games on it, nope, I'm afraid that's just your paranoia speaking there mate.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

The newer boxes are quieter (The ones that have the BenQ drives in) but the older ones with different drives are actually quiete loud, I'm not too bothered by the noise of my BenQ xbox as it makes about as much as my pc, and it aint too distracting, the older ones however were much louder while reading discs...

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ageary08

My 360 elite is quite noisy, most of it comes from the dvddrive, but i think some of mates older premiums are worse. Funny thing is my 360 rrod`d last month, since it came back its a bit noiser, ms replaced the motherboard, so either its got another fan, or they gave me a crappy fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

yoyo wrote: »
    The newer boxes are quieter (The ones that have the BenQ drives in) but the older ones with different drives are actually quiete loud, I'm not too bothered by the noise of my BenQ xbox as it makes about as much as my pc, and it aint too distracting, the older ones however were much louder while reading discs...

Nick

You've got 6 hard drives in your pc though!:p
    My Elite has the Benq drive, and as I said before it doesn't seem any quieter than my older premium. I had both of them set up for a while and actually tested the noise levels of both of them... While it wasn't exactly a scientific test with DB meters and stuff, I still couldn't tell any noticeable difference...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭ciano1

Found this 'fix' for the noise but havn't tried it yet

http://forums.xbox.com/12946080/ShowPost.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

tman wrote: »
    You've got 6 hard drives in your pc though!:p
    My Elite has the Benq drive, and as I said before it doesn't seem any quieter than my older premium. I had both of them set up for a while and actually tested the noise levels of both of them... While it wasn't exactly a scientific test with DB meters and stuff, I still couldn't tell any noticeable difference...
    Ironicly actually the hard discs are very silent (5 sammys and one seagate), Mostly noise from CPU Heatsink fan (crappy intel one :P) and vid card id say...

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭Sarn

It is definitely noisy. I only got one a few weeks ago and the tv volume has to go up to cover the noise. It could be quieter than the launch versions but I haven't compared them (still a great machine though!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭TheWitch06

ciano1 wrote: »
    Found this 'fix' for the noise but havn't tried it yet

http://forums.xbox.com/12946080/ShowPost.aspx

Do we really need to have to do this every time we play a game on the 360 though?
    M$ just need to release a quieter 360 already! It is wayyy too loud. Dunno about the newer versions of the 360 [mine is a year and half gone now] but I heard they are just slightly toned down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

yoyo wrote: »
    Ironicly actually the hard discs are very silent (5 sammys and one seagate), Mostly noise from CPU Heatsink fan (crappy intel one :P) and vid card id say...

Nick

Yea PC hard drives are usually fairly quiet the fans and dvd drive make the most noise..

A friend got a new xbox and its alot quieter than mine, his is a falcon chip.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

i have an an xbox 360 with the new falcon motherboard and Benq Drive.

although it is a lot less noisy then the last xbox 360 i had, it still makes alot of noise but in the end in it is an improvement and i can bare the noise now.

i dont mind the noise once im playing a game as im in the game so much the noise drifts away.

saying that i must say watching a dvd is a kick in the teeth(if you are forced to watch a dvd on the xbox 360). way to freakin loud for a dvd.

anyway there is my 2 cents!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

TheWitch06 wrote: »
    Do we really need to have to do this every time we play a game on the 360 though?
    M$ just need to release a quieter 360 already! It is wayyy too loud. Dunno about the newer versions of the 360 [mine is a year and half gone now] but I heard they are just slightly toned down.

i doubt MS care about their console being too loud, they'd be more worried about the amount of returns they've had due to crappy manufacture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

have 2 360s, a launch day and a new falcon model

theyre both as loud as each other

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I find the 360 to be so loud that I am forced to use noise reducing Headphones to actually be able to hear the Ingame sounds/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

Way too load for dvd. You do get used to it but mn it can be annoying if your watching a video or something

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭ballybay_eh

I find the 360 to be so loud that I am forced to use noise reducing Headphones to actually be able to hear the Ingame sounds/

:eek: Do you use the 360 as a pillow when you're playing on it? Cause that could be the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The DVD drive is loud. The console itself is quiet enough..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The noise has never bothered me really, just turn the volume up anyway and it's not an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

I put many an hour in on PSO online with my Dreamcast, but even if I sellotaped 6 dreamcasts together with PSO it wouldn't make the same hoovertastic sound as my 360!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Ha! I think we are all mature enough here to be objective in our criticism. I have a PS3 and xbox360 with no allegiance to one or the other. I will get Ninja Gaiden 2 on xbox simply because there is no other option, but I am not looking forward to the noise.

It is loud, its very loud and its purely down to the read speed of the discs having to be at maximum. I'm sure this could have been avoided if MS had decided to ship a HD/Blu ray drive (ok, that was never going to happen, but there is talk they may consider a blu ray drive following the demise of HD DVD) or allow installation of some game data to the hard drive. Unfortunately DVD was a bad choice for a supposed "next gen" console.

So, for those of you who dont know what the noise is like, just have your PC burn a DVD for you...then imagine trying to play a game while the DVD is being burnt. Then imagine that in your sitting room, while playing a game, continuously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    So, for those of you who dont know what the noise is like, just have your PC burn a DVD for you...then imagine trying to play a game while the DVD is being burnt. Then imagine that in your sitting room, while playing a game, continuously.

Pretty accurate that.

Mind you, the only it bothers me is when watching a DVD sometimes. When playing a game, I don't even notice it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Yeah playing a game its not so bad, unless you happen to be playing late at night and have to turn down the volume, in which case its a pain. I could buy a nice pair of headphones, but I'm lazy, cheap and enjoy complaining.

Now, whether to get NG2 or not...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Keggers

It's noisy but does anyone-and I'm expecting the utmost sincerity here-really care?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,372 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

It's definitely noiser than a PS3 but I can't say that it's ever bothered me particularly. The way some people complain you'd swear it was akin to a someone revving a tractor in your living room.

That said I never use it to watch movies. It would be a tad too loud for that but for gaming it doesn't bother me to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

its nowhere near as bad as some of the comments ive read. the dreamcast was far worse in my view. i dont have a ps3 so i cant compare but seriously lads, do you have walls and ceilings made of paper?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,570 ✭✭✭Damien360

Can I suggest a hearing aid for you. I have a 360 and a PS3. When the 360 is on, rarely now, I have to have the TV volume on my Phillips up to 11 to hear any speech in GTA IV correctly (had it on loan to test). On my PS3 with GTA IV, which I own, I can have the volume on the TV at 4. The figures mean nothing but I promise you the PS3 is so silent you have to look to see if it is turned on.

As for fanboyism, my 360 died 4 times in 18 months and I had enough. It always ran very hot, and that is why it died, even when left out in the open. The PS3 runs much cooler. Now the warmest system in my TV unit is my Sky+ box. Noise from your 360 will be the least of your concerns.

Advertisement