Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

360 aint so noisy....

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 serenity77

Does any one know how to tell if your xbox 360 has a falcon chip? My console is made by team fdou, which is suppose to mean the console has the chip, but the power is 203w which means its an old 90nm console.Can anyone help?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Keggers wrote: »
    It's noisy but does anyone-and I'm expecting the utmost sincerity here-really care?

For games - not a jot.

For movies, yes. It's not an alternative for watching movie as opposed to even to a 32 euro tesco player.

All in all though, I bought it for games, have a decent 5.1 set up and and for games I can honestly say I never once have never thought "Hmm this game is great but that sound is annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

I find my Xbox 360 to be far too loud. So much so that I believe it affects how much I enjoy each game. In fact if I could get a good deal I would trade it in for a PS3. I wish I'd held on and waited for a PS3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

buy a dreamcast, then you'll hear a noisy fecker of a console(which broke down many a time too :()

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Geff

Are you ****ing serious. My PC is twice the power of an Xbox 360 the thing is a monster and its whisper quiet. I know its different fans etc but the freakin' 360 is seriously loud. All of them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

serenity77 wrote: »
    Does any one know how to tell if your xbox 360 has a falcon chip? My console is made by team fdou, which is suppose to mean the console has the chip, but the power is 203w which means its an old 90nm console.Can anyone help?
    http://www.anandtech.com/gadgets/showdoc.aspx?i=3152&p=3

Seems to be a guide, the falcons have a specific heatsink which is shown here

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Geff wrote: »
    Are you ****ing serious. My PC is twice the power of an Xbox 360 the thing is a monster and its whisper quiet. I know its different fans etc but the freakin' 360 is seriously loud. All of them.

yes i am. the dreamcast did this searing grating sound when it loaded. im not saying the 360 is quiet but some of the comparsions of a jet plane landing etc are OTT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Geff wrote: »

And how many times the price of a 360 did your PC cost?
    For those complaining about the noise during DVD playback, the 360 turns off msot of its fans when not playing games so its pretty quiet.
    I sit about 6-8 ft from my 360 atm and while the fans are noticable during quiet periods of games, I rarely ever notice apart that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Keggers

Does it make a difference as to which edition you have (Halo 3 for me)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

The Dreamcast was the best console ever though so any noise issues(which I never noticed) didn't matter as they brought us Shenmue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

I'll gladly put my hand up as a someone you finds the the 360's noise level to be annoying for both movies and games. The argument that "it doesn't both me coz my sound system is loud enough to drown out the noise" is just silly.

It's not just the noise in and of itself that's the sole problem. If, say, you want to keep the volume down you don't wake others with the sounds of gunfire, shouting and exposions, you can miss some in game dialog due to the racket from the system fan and DVD drive.
    RasTa wrote: »
    The Dreamcast was the best console ever though so any noise issues(which I never noticed) didn't matter as they brought us Shenmue

What's that gotta do with anything? Besides implying that fair criticisms are irrelevant and should be ignored? You being facaetious?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Only really noticed it when playing dead rising and the GF came in to watch her soaps, rather than turn it off (and have to try and save) I paused it and flicked back to Sky. The bloody noise was unbearable. My PC has a fan rubbing off the heatsink and its not as annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Fnz wrote: »
    What's that gotta do with anything? Besides implying that fair criticisms are irrelevant and should be ignored? You being facaetious?

Well for some reason the OP keeps on comparing the 360 to a Dreamcast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Keggers

woooo232 wrote: »
    I find my Xbox 360 to be far too loud. So much so that I believe it affects how much I enjoy each game. In fact if I could get a good deal I would trade it in for a PS3. I wish I'd held on and waited for a PS3.

OH MY GOD! Don't tell me your actually going to spend 100s of euro because it's abit too noisy, that's just lunacy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭peepingtom

I only realise how noisy mine is after its finished shutting down ..... feels like ive just had my ears syringed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

I find it just fades into the background 5 minutes after you start it up but by the sounds of it, other peoples are like the juice loosener.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Mine is like a hoover when its playing a game off the CD (Civ Rev in particular) but fairly quiet (relatively!) when playing from HD.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Keggers wrote: »
    OH MY GOD! Don't tell me your actually going to spend 100s of euro because it's abit too noisy, that's just lunacy!

Why would I want to keep something that is so noisy that it takes away some of the enjoyment from the games I play? Unlike others I cant switch off from the noise.

And it is seriously loud!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Since I got a new 32" Sony Bravia I don't notice the f ecking noise off the 360 anymore since the sound is so good on the telly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I don't really notice it when playing a video on volume 6 which is pretty low.

It depends on lots of things like your room, if its sitting on a something that is going to be vibrated by the console and create extra noise etc... so its not like you can't do anything about it.

I agree it could be quieter and having the DVD drive spin at max speed whether it is required or not is again terrible design by Ms as it reduces the lifetime of the drive. It should only ever spin at the speed it needs to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

As most of ye are probably aware, the next seasonal update will let you install games to the hard drive - eliminating the need to access the disc (beyond initial boot confirmation, I imagine).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

I love my 360... but let's get the truth out there lads. It's noisy as hell, and it breaks. :)

I think it's still a prototype tbh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Kernel wrote: »
    I love my 360... but let's get the truth out there lads. It's noisy as hell, and it breaks. :)

I think it's still a prototype tbh!

Honesty at last. Love the 360 too. Just waiting for UPS to ship back my noisy bastard after RROD! Can't wait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭ciano1

For some reason my 360 sometimes stays quiet when I play Mass Effect

The disc drive doesnt spin up at all but the game plays fine..The xbox sounds as if its on the dashboard..You can just hear the disc move around when at the loading screens.

It happens randomly but has been happening a lot lately

This also happened a few months ago with my friends COD3

Advertisement