Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

scared..

Options
  • 30-05-2008 11:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭

does anyone feel the pressure of picking a college course?i imagine myself doing the jobs that im interested in and i must admit it nearly gives me panic attacks.i dont think its normal to be this scared:(:eek:..

is there anyone who actually doesnt know what they want to do next year becoz i feel every one has a plan and different aims and im just floating around..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

You're not alone, maggie18x, I haven't decided yet either! I've come full circle, from wanting to do Medicine, to contemplating Computer Science, and have currently settled on an Arts degree, but I honestly change my mind from week to week. I don't stress out over it that much though. I'm planning to defer for a year anyway, to both earn money for college, or/and do a bit of travelling, mature a little bit in my philosophy towards jobs, and life (if that's not too wanky...) and, I suppose, not waste a year of fees paid for by the government in some course that I'm just not cut out for.

I reckon it's okay to float around. Nothing is static nowadays anyway, and once you have base degree (in practically anything) you can do a one year or two year MA add-on. Lucky us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

What's your favourite subject for the leaving cert? That's an indicator as to what you should do in University. You should remember two things about picking courses:

1) A lot of people don't get their number 1 CAO choice, so their plan may not work out, this happened to quite a few people I know.

2) Pick a subject/course that you like, not just because it's a high points course or looks like it will pay a lot.

You could always take a year out and then return to 3rd level when you're more mature and/or have a good idea of what you want to do. Very few people's lives turn out to be exactly like they imagined it when they were 18 years old ;)

Edit: Not all MAs allow entry from any degree, some require specific undergrad modules, especially those in the mathematics area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭fivetwenty

I want to do Civil Engineering, but every time I tell someone they always bring up the Construction Decline factor. Just **** off already!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

i REALLY wanna do a load of languages in college, but me getting a C1 in french can go either way at the moment:(i got a C2 in the pre but who knows!!
    so
    I FEEL UR PAIN

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

To the people who are freaking out about college course choices, something you should note.

Example 1: My uncle is an exceedingly wealthy (albeit tight git) man who has ran some of the largest companies in the world. He was practically running vodafone for 6 months, did huge amount of work with mircosoft and now owns 3 companies. his degree is in marine biology and oceanography.

Example 2: One of the top guys in the computer game company i work for, who gets to travel for free to loads of countries and basically spends his days playing video games, has a degree in electronic engineering.

Example 3: My aunt who has NO degree, currently owns 12 houses all over the globe thanks to her real estate research and sense of cop on.

A degree is not a concrete path for the rest of your life, do something you love, not that you feel is necessary to get a job. Trust me, it's more fun this way

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Riotguy

^ Word up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

maggie18x wrote: »
    does anyone feel the pressure of picking a college course?i imagine myself doing the jobs that im interested in and i must admit it nearly gives me panic attacks.i dont think its normal to be this scared:(:eek:..

is there anyone who actually doesnt know what they want to do next year becoz i feel every one has a plan and different aims and im just floating around..

I'd advise you not to worry about that until you finish your LC, and then put in something before July 1st. Not too bad, you still have plenty of time.

Advertisement