Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2008 top Goalscorer

• 31-05-2008 12:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭

Who will be top scorer at the euros?

You will kill me now cause i will probably forget somewho important but i'll do my best.

1. Miroslav Klose
    GD7435461@KAISERSLAUTERN,-GERMA-8496.jpg
    -Can not write him off he always does it!

2. Milan Baros
    7280812_7_1.jpg
    -The goal machine Milan Baros (31 in 63 appearances), who interestingly has never been seen in the same room as the Milan Baros who has flounced around English pitches doing offensively little for the best part of seven years.

3. David Villa
    DavidVilla_468x720.jpg
    -has come out mid week accepting his fate to not be a starter as luis embraces a 4-5-1 formation but people still chirp on about him

4.Fernando Torres
    8EDF07A0-D04A-8BA3-5491F7EBD35D4638.jpg
    1.%20HCFernandoTorres_me_e28699_4734554.JPG
    - Unlike his counterpart guaranteed to start woof.

5. That Boy Ronaldo
    02-ronaldo-crying.JPG

6. Luca Toni
    lucatoni.jpg

7. RVN
    van-nistelrooy.jpg

8. Mario Gomez
    77056694.jpg%3Fv%3D1%26c%3DViewImages%26k%3D2%26d%3D17A4AD9FDB9CF193E7907F767875D1978254BF471DE4C86D284831B75F48EF45
    77248542-thumb.jpg

9 One out of Henry, benzama, ballack, podolski
    img.26784_t.jpg
    410394530_01b5c4935d_o.jpg
    - The also rans

10. Others
    - Includes Zlatan Ibrahimovic
    Ibrahimovic.jpg

Who will be top goalscorer at Euro 2008 58 votes

Miroslav Klose
    0%
    Milan Baros
    29%
    RasTaKulgankaimeraDrag00n79wardieUnearthlyandrewieGLaDOSNalzOPENROADleninbenjaminironictoasterGalvaseancarlopShoulderChipthusspakeblixabUILDERtHEbOB 17 votes
    David Villa
    0%
    Fernando Torres
    5%
    Bounty HuntereZe^DmanDmythDledge 3 votes
    Cristiano Ronaldo
    32%
    PiEDont be at yourselfTuskyLafortezzaLizardKingmachiavellianmeKoldHorsefumblerraven136Chardee MacDennisMr.Nice GuybreadmonkeyMelionJesus WeptDuffeddieheadKing John Vhunter164delija_sever029 19 votes
    Luca Toni
    12%
    lordgoatBrendyggMitch ConnorJPAdavyjosegenericgoonMikeyt086 7 votes
    Ruud Van Nistelrooy
    6%
    pickarooneyweemcdThE_IVIAcIVIAIVBubs101 4 votes
    Mario Gomez
    3%
    APMevad_lhorg 2 votes
    One out of Henry, benzama, ballack, podolski
    5%
    Pepe LeFritsStickyMcGintytitan18 3 votes
    Other
    5%
    judas101dobsdaveDSB 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Fernando Torres
    Damnit, was meant to pick Toni...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cupthehand

Pavel Poyrebnyak if fit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

Milan Baros
    Depends. We all know what Klose is like but if Mario Gomez plays like he does for Stuttgart he could be a big hit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Them pictures are quality man:D

Milan Baros
    SantryRed wrote: »
    Them pictures are quality man:D
    Except you have Pavel Pardo where Mario Gomez should be! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Milan Baros
    Except you have Pavel Pardo where Mario Gomez should be! :p

crap your right edited

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Well Spain are my pick to win it and Fernando Torres has been in terrific form so I'll go for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

Heres some interesting stats from the Qualifyers, as good an indication as any....

Heres some interesting stats from the Qualifyers, as good an indication as any....

................................................Goals.................Yellow.........Ball
    Team.................Goals.....Assi...... against...Shots.....cards......Possesion
    Germany..............35.........27..........7...........91..........15.........56.50%
    Croatia................28.........15.........8............69..........7...........53.25%
    Czech Rep...........27.........22.........5............85 .........14..........51.75%
    Romania..............26.........15.........7............67..........30.........54.08%
    France................25.........19.........5............86..........8...........57.75%
    Turkey................25.........19.........11..........63..........17..........55.08%
    Greece................25.........9...........10..........63..........21..........54.17%
    Portugal..............24.........15.........10 .........101.........25.........59.14%
    Poland................24.........14.........12...........80.........19 .........48.57%
    Spain .................23.........19.........8 ...........79..........20 .........52.33%
    Italy...................22.........15.........9............79..........17..........51.67%
    Sweden...............20.........13.........9............64..........15..........55.45%
    Russia.................18.........15.........7............68..........15..........54.50%
    Netherlands..........15.........11.........5 ...........93..........20..........54%

Top 3 Defences:.......Netherlands......France..........Czech Rep
    Top 3 scorers:..........Germany..........Croatia..........Czech Rep
    Top 3 shots:.............Portugal...........Germany........netherlands
    Top 3 Possesion:.......Portugal............France..........germany

going by this, i would say either klose , Ronaldo or henry, but I fancy nuno Gomes to have a big swansong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Milan Baros
    I fancy Spain to finally do the ****ing business v Germany in the final.

Klose for top scorer > handy enough group that Germany should motor thru.

Milan Baros
    kaimera wrote: »
    I fancy Spain to finally do the ****ing business v Germany in the final.

Klose for top scorer > handy enough group that Germany should motor thru.
    Yeah himself and Gomez will knock them in v Austria and Poland
    -a decent outside bet might be Aleksander Frei of Switzerland too. On a good streak and also on the back of a good season for Dortmund. And also broke the Swiss goalscoring record last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭King John V

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Has to be Fernando Torres for me. The boy's got class and pace to burn :)

Has to be Fernando Torres for me. The boy's got class and pace to burn :)

Torres will start on the bench, spain will play one up front and that will be Villa, Torres will come on only if Spain go behind or need a win

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Villa and Torres are both class but who would people rate as sharper at the moment? (completely subjective debate of course).

It depends on the team they are playing in, by rights I think Torres should start, but Luis Argones is a stubburn **** and favours Villa, especially with him staying in La Liga. The Qualifyers speak for themselves in terms of game oppertunity, Villa won hands down, and with a such a formidable team, he can easily pick his golden boy above Torres until spain run into trouble.

GS: Games started, SB: Used as Substitute, G: Goals, A: Assists, SH: Shots, SG: Shots on goal, YC: Yellow Cards, RC: Red Cards, FC: Fouls Commited, FS: Fouls Suffered,

david Villa
    TEAM ......COMPETITION .............GS...SB... G ...A... SH ...SG ...FC... FS ...YC... RC
    Spain .......International Friendly ....0 ....1... 1 ....0..... 1.....1 .....0 .....0 .....1 ......0
    Spain .......Euro2008 Qualifying .....10 ....1 ...7 ....2 ....27 ...16 ....1.... 3..... 1 ......0
    2008/09 ....Season Totals ............10 ....2.... 0 ....0 ....0 .....0 ....1.... 3...... 2 ......0

fernando Torres
    TEAM......COMPETITION............... GS...SB....G....A.....SH....SG....FC...FS.....YC.....RC
    Spain ......International Friendly........1.....0....0....0......1......1.......0....1.......0.......0
    Spain.........Euro2008 Qualifying........5.....2.....2....0....11......4......2.....9.......0......0
    2008/09 Season Totals ...................6.... 2.....2....0....12......5......2.....10.....0......0

Cristiano Ronaldo
    That's great, Vincenzo. Thanks for going to the trouble drawing up the table :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Cristiano Ronaldo

TEAM ......COMPETITION .............GS...SB... G ...A... SH ...SG ...FC... FS ...YC... RC
    Spain .......International Friendly ....0 ....1... 1 ....0..... 1.....1 .....0 .....0 .....1 ......0
    Spain .......Euro2008 Qualifying .....10 ....1 ...7 ....2 ....27 ...16 ....1.... 3..... 1 ......0
    2008/09 ....Season Totals ............10 ....2.... 0 ....0 ....0 .....0 ....1.... 3...... 2 ......0

TEAM......COMPETITION............... GS...SB....G....A.....SH....SG....FC...FS.....YC.....RC
    Spain ......International Friendly........1.....0....0....0......1......1.......0....1.......0.......0
    Spain.........Euro2008 Qualifying........5.....2.....2....0....11......4......2.....9.......0......0
    2008/09 Season Totals ...................6.... 2.....2....0....12......5......2.....10.....0......0

which one is which. plus i think Torres will get the nod in front of Villa...

The top stats are Villa, He has not put a foot wrong, and argones favours him. Villa also plays in a La Liga league and t6herefore suits the style and technique of that league, so he has a natural technical advantage when it comes to the national team.

I think Torres will feature more as the tournament goes on, but villa is the number one choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Milan Baros
    I had said Villa previously but I think Germany will go the whole way and score a few to boot. Thats why I'm leaning towards Klose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Cristiano Ronaldo
    The top stats are Villa, He has not put a foot wrong, and argones favours him. Villa also plays in a La Liga league and t6herefore suits the style and technique of that league, so he has a natural technical advantage when it comes to the national team.

I think Torres will feature more as the tournament goes on, but villa is the number one choice.
    Aragones tips Torres to shine

Luis Aragones has stated that Fernando Torres could flourish at Euro 2008, Cesc Fabregas can play alongside Xavi at the tournament and the Raul debate does not bother him but may worry the Real Madrid striker.

The Spain boss discussed his thoughts on this summer's tournament and also added that he will certainly not retire afterwards because he fancies trying to coach in a foreign country.

With the European Championships just over a month away, Aragones explained that Torres' form means that he could do something special in the new look Spain system.

"It is Torres' moment and the other forwards too. The big moments are for the big players. There are three or four players who can shine. We changed the system and although we played well with one up front, I think it is better with two. But there are variants," he told Marca.

"It is a real chance for the Spanish national team to show that they can win and do well at the right time."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11966_3489035,00.html

Sounds like Torres is very much in Aragones' plans. I imagine he will rotate but I'm sure Torres will feature prominently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Fernando Torres
    I don't Torres will be top scorer. He has scored more goals in England than Spain because of his pace- defences have a much higher line in the Premiership than the continent so this is why I don't think he will score that many goals. Villa is a superior player imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Luca Toni
    Doubt it will be Torres or Villa, theyll be rotated/subbed too much. If RvN is fit, I'd fancy him, otherwise Klose/ROnaldo depending on how Germany/Portugal do.

Milan Baros
    Sounds like Torres is very much in Aragones' plans. I imagine he will rotate but I'm sure Torres will feature prominently.

yeah sure i said that in the first post.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Cristiano Ronaldo
    I had a fiver on Baros in Euro 2004 at 50's. He won it for me that time but im going with Torres this time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I don't Torres will be top scorer. He has scored more goals in England than Spain because of his pace- defences have a much higher line in the Premiership than the continent so this is why I don't think he will score that many goals. Villa is a superior player imo.

Was he not playing a long way up front on his own in Spain(with pretty much the whole club depending on him to boot)? I'd say thats much more of a reason for scoring more in England tbh. He's suited to a team that just whacks it up to him and the watches for him to do the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Fernando Torres
    Toni's gonna be the man, just you watch him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

One out of Henry, benzama, ballack, podolski
    I'd say Mario Gomez or Ibrahimovic.Germany are in an easy group and Ibrahimovic is Sweden's main threat and their group isnt exactly hard

Nuno Gomes or Thierry henry, whichever of portugal or France that win it.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Milan Baros
    I'd say Klose. Germany have an easy group which gives him the chance of getting a great head start. He should lap up chances against Poland and Austria.

BTW: paddy power offering 10/1 on him. Had to put a fiver on taht.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭weemcd

Ruud Van Nistelrooy
    Tough one to call. we all know what miroslav can do. i voted luca toni, but i think italy will probably rotate that much he may not be in with a shout.

my heart told me ruud, all time fav player, his fitness is a worry tho, this tournament may be the time for Huntelaar (tipped by many as the new ruud) to step up.

as for ibra, top player again but his fitness is a worry so i cant see him being top goalscorer.

henrik @ 66-1 anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Fernando Torres
    went for Villa myself.

have to say thems are some great pics of the players, just how id like to think of some of them. Baros covered in Blood, Torres with his killer hairdo & Ronaldo crying like a little...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Gomis/Benzema partnership could be interesting.

Benzema is going to be the world's best in no time.Anytime he gets the ball, it feels like he's going to do something special.Dont know where Henry is going to figure in this, he looks a shadow of the player he once was..

Milan Baros
    mario gomez is in my fantasy team, so thats something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Mario Gomez
    Ruud is goin to do it cause Holland are goin to win it :p Spain will fail as always.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

Other
    wouldnt be surprised if ballack banged a few in

Milan Baros
    judas101 wrote: »
    wouldnt be surprised if ballack banged a few in

me neither, but nowhere near enough.

Arsharvin anybody?
    he has two books, a song and is a member of Vladimir Putins political party
    oh and hes very good up front.

• Advertisement