Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

semi OT ...but just out of curiosity

Options
  • 31-05-2008 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

When I was a kid, there were card games around called "Quartett" ...I believe they were called "trumps" here.

You could get them for everything and anything (from tanks to planes and battleships), but cars were everyones favourite.

They looked something like this:

trump_cars2.jpg

The way you'd play it was that you pick one value from your card and try and beat your opponents value. The winner would then get both cards and get to ask the next question. Game would end when one player had all cards. So if you had the Porsche in the above picture, it'd be trumps in top speed and horse power ...but it could still be beaten by the 2CV in weight.

Anybody remember these?

Why am I asking this? Because sometimes the motors forum reminds of people playing trumps without actual cards :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,874 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Yep - i remember playing top trumps.

I have some Marvel Top Trumps in my bedroom on a shelf! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,429 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

peasant wrote: »
    Anybody remember these?

Oh yeah! The impressive one to use was the the Golf GTI (Mk I of course with the full 110BHP) that would do 0-100km/h in 9s - beating all but one or two supercars in the deck :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I used to have a Super Trumps deck just like the picture above - my one definately had at least some of those cars. Everything else I had were Waddingtons Super Top Trumps, like here: http://www.ultimate-top-trumps.co.uk/waddingtons.htm - I still have some around somewhere, but definately lost Trucks and Cars For The 90's :(

The ones they sell these days look crap - mostly licensed TV and film stuff - yuck! Only vehicle-related one seems to be Military Jets :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I thought only young people posted on boards? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Onkle wrote: »

Golf GTi, Opel Corsa, Ford Sierra - These are young people :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Onkle wrote: »

this one would actually more closely reflect my age :D

Altes_Auto_Quartett_14_Karten.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

I had (have?) the Le Mans variant, used to play at break time in school alot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

peasant wrote: »
    this one would actually more closely reflect my age :D

I just had an idea for a thread!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Ah Top Trumps, Good man Peasant brought a bit of nostalgia into my Saturday morning, my personal fav's were Tanks, Fighter jets, Supercars (would have been Countach's & Testarossa's in my day) and lets not forget about the Dinosaur top trumps either, the T-Rex was the card to have, almost unbeatable:D

Do kids still play top trumps? I would have presumed it's all PSP's and DS lite's these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Victor_M wrote: »
    Do kids still play top trumps? I would have presumed it's all PSP's and DS lite's these days.
    Both - i've been beaten at both Top Trumps and Project Gotham Racing on the XBox360 by an 11-year-old within the past week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Heh! I had TT, the kids these days don't know the thrill of your Rover P5 trumping a Buick Riviera on top speed!*

Mike.

*random example, may not actually be true

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Topgear.com used to have an on-line version, I'm sure you could play against friends as well.

Just been on and it looks like they've removed it :(

Advertisement