Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield Bad Company Demo now out....

Options
  • 31-05-2008 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭

... but you have to pre-order the game to get it . Otherwise you have to wait untill June 5th.
    Strike it rich with Battlefield: Bad Company’s new demo on June 5th or Pre-Order now and get early access starting May 29th!
    Get acquainted with the members of B-Company as you play through section of the single-player campaign from the opening level, Green Acres. Then, have a second helping of destruction and gold, the demo also includes a look at the new multiplayer mode, “Gold Rush.” Explore the air, sea, and land with vehicles like the tank, buggy, schooner, and helicopter as you take the battle to new heights on our popular level, Oasis. Powered by the new Frostbite engine, up to 24 players can join in on a map and destroy practically everything in sight.

Apparently it is supposed to be laggy as hell at the moment, they say it is because they are taking alot of logs at the moment and that after they have a good bit of info they will cut back on the logging and the servers should run better.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Has anyone played it yet? I'm really excited about the destructable environments part.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Na, goddamn game is only coming out for PS3 and 360 atm :( .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

Yeah, they giving us BF: heroes to keep us distracted......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

I'm not touching FPS on consoles, playing FPS with a joypad is a pain.

Anyways, I hope they will get this Bad Company(for consoles) and Heroes(for casual players) out of the way quickly to focus on the real Battlefield.... 3. :D

CyberGhost wrote: »
    I'm not touching FPS on consoles, playing FPS with a joypad is a pain.

Anyways, I hope they will get this Bad Company(for consoles) and Heroes(for casual players) out of the way quickly to focus on the real Battlefield.... 3. :D

+++ times 1000

I'd say at this stage we would be very lucky to get it before Autumn 09 :( .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

Ok I play X box primarily for Pro evo and a few other titles like Frontlines. I prefer PC gaming any day of the week especially for FPS.

I played the 360 demo of Battlefield bad company and here are the things I like and dislike about it and a quick review:

Pros:

Graphics are decent
    Smooth frame rate
    Chunky weapons
    Targeting is tight

Cons:

The demo map provided is way too linear for a battlefield game, it sucks
    The humor is terrible in the single player
    The sound effects are washed out with reverb and are terrible
    There is no prone (I know I could not believe it myself)
    The characters run slow and feel and look far too heavy
    The lag today was disgraceful
    The music is bar room honky tonk, completely unsuitable
    The sound effects of soldiers gets very annoying

Demo review
    Graphics 8
    Sound 4
    Game-play 7
    Presentation 4

Overall 70%

Dice making cheap console ports can go and suck my ass. I am waiting for the real deal 'Battlefield 3' on Mac and PC and I will play Quake wars in the mean time. This is a typical piece of **** cooked up to make money off all the noobs who know nothing about real online gaming. Sorry noobs but its true, you know nothing if you waste your time and money on this title for too long.

Oh yeah the destructible environments is a bad assed gimmick!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

dav nagle wrote: »
    Ok I play X box primarily for Pro evo and a few other titles like Frontlines. I prefer PC gaming any day of the week especially for FPS.

I played the 360 demo of Battlefield bad company and here are the things I like and dislike about it and a quick review:

Pros:

Graphics are decent
    Smooth frame rate
    Chunky weapons
    Targeting is tight

Cons:

The demo map provided is way too linear for a battlefield game, it sucks
    The humor is terrible in the single player
    The sound effects are washed out with reverb and are terrible
    There is no prone (I know I could not believe it myself)
    The characters run slow and feel and look far too heavy
    The lag today was disgraceful
    The music is bar room honky tonk, completely unsuitable
    The sound effects of soldiers gets very annoying

Demo review
    Graphics 8
    Sound 4
    Game-play 7
    Presentation 4

Overall 70%

Dice making cheap console ports can go and suck my ass. I am waiting for the real deal 'Battlefield 3' on Mac and PC and I will play Quake wars in the mean time. This is a typical piece of **** cooked up to make money off all the noobs who know nothing about real online gaming. Sorry noobs but its true, you know nothing if you waste your time and money on this title for too long.

Oh yeah the destructible environments is a bad assed gimmick!

You give it 70% but say its a piece of ****? I dunno ill agree with your review on most points, it is chunky and theres no prone! I know I couldnt believe it either ha!! I dunno its not bad I played a game there for about a half hour without lag I quite enjoyed it really felt like bf2 on the pc(most of the time) It probably wont take over the likes of cod on the 360 anyway.

I used to play alot of pc games online, but now the fact that all my real life friends play online with the 360 I would rather play with them on that then people I dont know on the pc. Saying that I still do play some games on the pc like TF2 and BF2! So im not one of those n00bs you talk about :D

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

This is what i heard about BF 3
    But all the info about dates turned out to be bull for the most part.
    October 10, 2007 - Battlefield 2142 was released in October of last year, and Battlefield: Bad Company is set to arrive in early 2008. DigitalBattle is reporting it has been forwarded an internal document that may be the first details on an unannounced Battlefield game, possibly Battlefield 3.

DigitalBattle says the document, a PDF file, seems to be targeted towards investors and lists a set of game features:
    • Release in late 2008
    • Powered by "Frostbite DX"
    • Set in year modern day
    • Will ship with 8 maps, each supporting up to 40-players per team
    • Two playable factions, NATO and MEC (Middle Eastern Coalition)
    • Same "ticket-based" gameplay style as before
    • Maps are mostly urban, based in Middle East
    • Squads and Commanders are present, introduced are "Battalions" which consist of three to four squads.
    • Five playable classes; Sniper, Assault, Engineer, Medic and Support
    • Will feature 48 different vehicles (24 for each faction)
    • Will feature 34 different weapons (17 for each faction) and another 22 unlocks (for both factions), in total 56 different weapons.
    • Other unlocks include different types of ammunition, body armor, helmets, camouflage and accessories.
    • Possible public beta in "Summer 2008??
    • Online stats tracking, awards and "real world ranks"
    • "Soldier" feature, looks like MMO-styled characters and avatars
    • Ranked servers will be available for resellers weeks before the game ships
    • In-game replay and recording feature
    • VoIP, friends list, in-game IM-client and "extensive clan support"
    • Built-in auto software updater
    • Widows Vista and OS X
    • Announcement and teaser trailer in January 2008.

This is what i heard about BF 3
    But all the info about dates turned out to be bull for the most part.

^^^^^ That was pretty much confermed as a fake.

Anyway if you think about it, there is no way they will make it vista only.

Yeah the was some talk a while back about making some games vista only in order to get people to use vista.......
    Of course they won't but i'd say it scared a few people into getting it....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

just played the demo there.

I didnt think it was too bad.

I liked the destructable enviroments. Esp when a tank showed up, it should have made the game much more difficult.

so my plus and cons.

+ Destructible enviroments, it is *almost* like they promised, I have found that taking out a grenade launcher and putting a hole through a wall in the building not only satisfying but effective to flush out stray infantry, sniper towers and mg nests.

+ The Vehicles have a nice feel to them, though the controls have a weird mapping to them (left stick to accelerate but x to reverse)

+ The weapons are very satisfying...well the rocket launcher and m16 were, not so sure about the other rifle.

+ The sound i thought was fantastic, between the good music mix to the very effecitve use of defeaning and explosions etc and voice audio it was all very impressive except for maybe the main characters voice is very flat.

-Pretty, I like the new engine, explosions also have nice meaty look to them (lots of shrapnel)

the negatives

-Spotting enemy infantry is really really f*cking hard, I spent the first few tries running around like a headless chicken cause I couldnt spot where I was being shot from.

- The death system is useless! Everytime you die you respawn in a humvee a few metres away with everything as you left it...yes you can kill bye repitition in this. I hope thats a demo only feature cause it will take away all the challange of the game.

-I did feel like the game was making too much of an effort to channel you through the level, tank traps across the whole map really was stupid. Hopefully its only a early level feature. The 3rd part was a bit more open but not alot.

-While buildings/tress and everything else blows up good. Vehicles dont really :( jeeps still blow up in the classic battlefield style which is a shame, I'd like some halo 3 flying jeep physics.

I assume it will open up more in the later game, but atm it was pretty annoying being led around.

The game did feel heavier and slower then prior battlefield games, but thats more it being designed for console and needs slower less accurate controls to adjust for joypads.

I am actually pretty stoked, wasnt initially, but I actually got a real taste for blowing stuff up

Thanks for the roundup man, sounds like it shows some promise. Again its a pitty I don't have a PS3 / 360 :P .

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Spotting enemy infantry is really really f*cking hard, I spent the first few tries running around like a headless chicken cause I couldnt spot where I was being shot from.
    I'd consider this a plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I just can't understand why the game is running at such a low resolution !
    The jaggies are everywhere on the PS3..
    Good fun multiplayer though I have to say ...I've got a good few unlocks and the weapons are pretty cool ..

I just can't understand why the game is running at such a low resolution !
    The jaggies are everywhere on the PS3..
    Good fun multiplayer though I have to say ...I've got a good few unlocks and the weapons are pretty cool ..

There is a nice grain effect on screen which works well, I had a play through with my friend last night and it was fun. There is a problem at times identifying the enemy and friendly, very true.
    The game needs a sprint, the current sprint is far too slow. I am not going back on my review though, it will be entertaining but I am not going to go on the dole and play it all summer, it just doesn't justify the commitment. Quake wars is appernetly better than the reviews are saying..

dav nagle wrote: »
    Quake wars is appernetly better than the reviews are saying..
    Ya I might trade in two games for that myself this evening and see what it's like..I wouldn't buy it though as it 69.99 !!!! and 9.99 on the PC

Lads if you are going to get any FPS, get Call of Duty 4, it is far better then ETQW. This is coming from a guy that grew up on BF ( kinda :p).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Whens this out anyway Ill have to pick it up!?

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

I'm only going to get this because BF is a great game to play with friends, real or online, since no online friends play 2142 and with bf2 being pants now in terms of pc BF it's dead till bf3, so to console i turn!

Lads if you are going to get any FPS, get Call of Duty 4, it is far better then ETQW. This is coming from a guy that grew up on BF ( kinda :p).

To be fair I think most of us have had Call of Duty 4 too since launch day...we're FPS whores ya know :D

• Advertisement

To be fair I think most of us have had Call of Duty 4 too since launch day...we're FPS whores ya know :D

Hmmmm then I fail to see how you can be considering player that horrible piece of tripe that it ETQW after playing something like CoD4 :p.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Hmmmm then I fail to see how you can be considering player that horrible piece of tripe that it ETQW after playing something like CoD4 :p.

I said I'd never touch an FPS on a console. Ever.

I broke that rule for Cod4 after playing it on the pc cos it was just so awesome.

Don't know will I get BFBC, probably will out of boredom, then spend three days in the shower trying to feel clean again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Silverfish wrote: »
    I said I'd never touch an FPS on a console. Ever.

I broke that rule for Cod4 after playing it on the pc cos it was just so awesome.

Don't know will I get BFBC, probably will out of boredom, then spend three days in the shower trying to feel clean again.

i thought i'd feel that way but i just got off a marathon session of MP on the PS3 version of the demo. the game's a bit rough around the edges, but so are all of the battlefield games. at this stage it's almost charming (i said almost)...

but i love it. more then cod4. it gives me that warm, fuzzy feeling bf2 gives me, but from the comfort of my couch in front of a 40" tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Jackabo

Silverfish wrote: »
    I said I'd never touch an FPS on a console. Ever.I broke that rule for Cod4 after playing it on the pc cos it was just so awesome.
    I said the same aswell,got a few fps games just for single player only ,i really feared the jump from mouse to joypad for ages online til i tried Cod4 ... never looked back since.
    Im running out of things to do in Gta Iv, so i think i'll trade or buy towards Bad Company or Etqw .
    On a smaller note i played Etqw there tonight on the 360 for the first time and i was really impressed,i loved it on the Pc but was just put off by playing with the wrong people,but anyways i reckon its a sweet conversion ... might just check down the back of the couch & inside the tumble dryer for some spare change and pick up both.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Jackabo wrote: »
    ... might just check down the back of the couch & inside the tumble dryer for some spare change and pick up both.

The filter of the washing machine ftw.

Yeah, think I'll pick up Bad company for definite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Hmmm, yeah I'm debating whether to get BFBC or the new Alone in the Dark first.

I know i'm blind, but i've checked around but, when does the game come out??
    On a side note the Demo is promising, it's a bit zoomed up though, and too easy to get your health back.
    Driving through a building is great fun though!
    Doubt mp will be near pc BF though.

Well I have to be honest about the 360's current line up. I am loving ninja gaiden 2 and Ninja gaiden black, very challenging and rewarding with great graphics and gameplay/ The 360 does platformers very well.

As a die hard FPS fan, I am disappointed with the direction games developers have taken. They all seem to think that console gamers want a watered down version (easy to understand) pick up and play type of game, and this my friends is what Battlefield BC is in its true reality. Bring back commanders I say!

Hmmmm did someone's abusive thread get deleted?

• Advertisement

dazftw wrote: »
    You give it 70% but say its a piece of ****? I dunno ill agree with your review on most points, it is chunky and theres no prone! I know I couldnt believe it either ha!! I dunno its not bad I played a game there for about a half hour without lag I quite enjoyed it really felt like bf2 on the pc(most of the time) It probably wont take over the likes of cod on the 360 anyway.

I used to play alot of pc games online, but now the fact that all my real life friends play online with the 360 I would rather play with them on that then people I dont know on the pc. Saying that I still do play some games on the pc like TF2 and BF2! So im not one of those n00bs you talk about :D

The overall standard could be raised of first person shooters on consoles

i.e

larger maps
    More players via dedicated servers
    Prone!
    Run button on the shoulder button etc..

What do you think?

Advertisement