Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Angel Lane

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Sunn

Hansel wrote: »
    Costello's is the only place worth going to. A fiver in the door and none of that top 40 nonsense. I loathe having to pay €15 in somewhere that's overcrowded and I then get fleeced for terrible drink. Only go to the "cool" spots when i'm forced by the crowd, which is thankfully a very rare occasion.

costellos isn't even worth the 5 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Hansel wrote: »
    Costello's is the only place worth going to. A fiver in the door and none of that top 40 nonsense. I loathe having to pay €15 in somewhere that's overcrowded and I then get fleeced for terrible drink. Only go to the "cool" spots when i'm forced by the crowd, which is thankfully a very rare occasion.

Yeah costelloes might be the place worth going to if you want to wallow in filth and listen to the same angsty "student" rock every single night. I suppose you get what you pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

DarkJager wrote: »
    if you want to wallow in filth and listen to the same angsty "student" rock every single night.

Check mate

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

Roadend wrote: »
    Was in Aubars on Saturday and it was dead and I didn't get in there till nearly 1. I doubt they are losing their crowd to Angel Lane but they certainly are looking in trouble.

Alot of people are on holidays last week and this week.
    Same everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

Apparently its been going that way for a long time now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

zuroph wrote: »
    when u say hoodies and trainers, are we talking nike hoodies and nike air max trainers, or are we talking skate style clothes? cos i only wear skate shoes going out, and occasionally skate hoodies. i think u mean the former though, thanks to the denim shorts part..
    What? skateboarding>football now? Do people go skateboarding in clubs now?

Jesus, I must be getting old.
    Still, the f***ing youth these days...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Alot of people are on holidays last week and this week.
    Same everywhere.

Limerick is always quiet at this time of the year, but villages from Gastlegregory to Lahinch are full of Limerick folk if you're lonely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

DarkJager wrote: »
    Yeah costelloes might be the place worth going to if you want to wallow in filth and listen to the same angsty "student" rock every single night. I suppose you get what you pay for.

yeah, you do get what you pay for, good value for money, and no scumbags.
    many's the time I followed the crowd, and payed €15 euro into the likes of the icon, etc etc, loads of cracker nackers dressed in expensive clothes or women with LOADS of makeup (self esteem problems...), so they don't look like scumbags, plus what do most folk end up doing: stand at the bar, and try and get served, why pay in for that rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

What? skateboarding>football now? Do people go skateboarding in clubs now?

Jesus, I must be getting old.
    Still, the f***ing youth these days...
    its a fashion thing, you wouldnt understand :rolleyes::P:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

BarryCreed wrote: »
    yeah, you do get what you pay for, good value for money, and no scumbags.
    many's the time I followed the crowd, and payed €15 euro into the likes of the icon, etc etc, loads of cracker nackers dressed in expensive clothes or women with LOADS of makeup (self esteem problems...), so they don't look like scumbags, plus what do most folk end up doing: stand at the bar, and try and get served, why pay in for that rubbish.

Just for the fact that you have said "no scumbags", I can instantly see you are a Costelloes regular. Only there would you meet someone so pretentious and small minded...

I'd rather spend my night in a clean nightclub, surrounded by "cracker nackers" as you put it, than sticking to the carpet in costelloes and going for smokes in the death trap of a smoking area. Not to mention the toilets are by far the most disgusting I have ever come across in any nightclub. How hard is it to give the place a clean?

So if you call that good value for money, your standards must be very very low.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

For me, definately not the same crowd or atmosphere of The Sin Bin or Icon. To be honest, it wasnt the kind of place you could have the craic in. Very very poser'ish. Dance floor too bright. I think the poser'ish crowd come more from young ones, but it does add to the atmospere of the place.

The music was not so good either. Reminded me of the old R n B night in the market (or as we called it bag a passport night), but no one knew the songs/tunes.

I went up to the DJ and said basically that the music was crap and could he place something that we know - generic music. Something we could hop around to. And I was told "but shur arent I playing Rihanna" to which I replied "yes you are but what in the name of god is the music youve mixed in in the middle!".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Was there lastnight with a crowd from work, the 21s thing was obviously gone out the door!

Also found it strange that upstairs was closed. I mean people like to have a wander, and even if you don't open the bars it's do no harm to have upstairs and the second smoking area open. The 3 bouncers it took to keep people out of there could have been walking around keeping an eye then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Apologies to anyone who seen me in the wedding veil last night(Saturday) :D

Melion wrote: »
    Apologies to anyone who seen me in the wedding veil last night(Saturday) :D

Would you also have fallen out of Flannery's?? it was a nightmare driving up that way lastnight!:rolleyes:

Nope, i wasnt anywhere near flannerys

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭sharkDawg

Was in there last thursday for the first time, disappointed that only one area was open, but the music was good and lights are pretty cool, cost quite a bit I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Harpy

yeah was in there thursday as well,was really impressed eventhough all of it wasn't open, went into the smoking area didn't even realise it was the smoking area till i realised everyone around me was smoking it was class...
    must head in there now on a friday and saturday to see the whole place but really liked it on thursday night..

Expect to pay more than a tenner on a saturday and don't expect the comp bubly (nice touch all the same)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Harpy

it was free in on thursday before 12 so it was handy..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Some thoughts after my first night in Angel Lane:

The Good Stuff
    1:Bouncers seemed very friendly and polite which was nice
    2:Was very impressed with the visual look of the club - it looks great.
    3:Smoking area is great and I was surprised at how big the entire club is.

The Bad Stuff
    1:I thought the club was dangerously overcrowded to be honest and as one of my friends pointed out you would be ****ed if a fire broke out. Besides the front door I wouldn't have a notion where to get out if I had to, I didn't notice any fire exits although in fairness that is probably also due to it being my first night in there.
    2:You need more bar staff, was waiting over 20 minutes to get served and your bar staff upstairs kept serving other people who had just arrived at the bar.I felt invisible to them so I just walked away without getting served which pissed me off big time.
    3:Where are the jacks?? It took me ages to find one and it seemed to be the only one in the club?
    4:The music upstairs was ok - 50cent and stuff.Downstairs was unrecognizable. I had the impression that you had three different music zones but I guess I was mistaken.

I will be back but I don't think I will set foot in there on a Saturday night for a long time until it either calms down or the above issues are sorted out.

Is there an 80's night?

• Advertisement

RonMexico wrote: »
    1:I thought the club was dangerously overcrowded to be honest and as one of my friends pointed out you would be ****ed if a fire broke out. Besides the front door I wouldn't have a notion where to get out if I had to, I didn't notice any fire exits although in fairness that is probably also due to it being my first night in there.
    Has a massive capacity, doubt it was overcrowded tbh, and there's plenty of fire escapes if you're looking for one. about 3 around the dance floor IIRC
    2:You need more bar staff, was waiting over 20 minutes to get served and your bar staff upstairs kept serving other people who had just arrived at the bar.I felt invisible to them so I just walked away without getting served which pissed me off big time.
    +1,000,000
    I ended up way overordering to compensate the last time I was there. Probably won't bother drinking at all if I go there on a Saturday again, just do Dessie Driver
    3:Where are the jacks?? It took me ages to find one and it seemed to be the only one in the club?
    One on upper level, one on lower level and one on entry level.
    4:The music upstairs was ok - 50cent and stuff.Downstairs was unrecognizable. I had the impression that you had three different music zones but I guess I was mistaken.
    Maybe the smonking area is the 3rd??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Yeah I just didn't notice any fire escapes, I know they have to have them but I just found the place a bit disorientating obviously due to not being familiar with the place but I think they could mark out exits + toilets a bit better. I felt like I needed a feckin map in there last night.

I had to double up on the orders at the bar too which is a pain if you want to just have a drink and then go on the dancefloor. Its either buy all your drink and sit around for ages with it or buy none and dance all night.

As for the music I only really noticed a difference when I went upstairs where the R&B/hiphop stuff was playing. Everywhere else seemed to be unrecognizable boom boom ****.Stuff for people really into techno crap which I am not. I thought there might be at least one area with chart stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 rosie1987

Not sure but I would say the three zones are:
    1. downstairs - 2 bars, dancefloor
    2. 1st floor off the smoking area - 1 bar
    3. top floor - 1 bar, dancefloor
    (the banner on their website says 5 bars-4 zones-3 levels-2 smoking areas-1 'superclub' haha)

But where is the 5th bar?!

I've given this place too many chances on a Saturday night, I'm gonna have to stay in Saturdays!! Just can't enjoy myself in there trying to find the people we've lost, or making our way through droves of people to get from one smoking area to the other. It's madness and just not what I want for a night out.
    I haven't had that much trouble getting a drink at the bar because there are 4 that I know of...
    I've been on a thurs/fri/sunday and I like it then because it's not as busy and not as expensive to get in, and don't think they open the upstairs on those days. But really will have to give it a while to know what it's like because it's really still very new.

Don't know how they will do in comparison to ladies night in Icon, because Angel Lane have been advertising complimentary champage the last two thurs nights and free entry before 12, I'd love to know if it's been busy those nights.

Ive been in there 3 times now, all on a saturday night. Ive never waited more than 2-3 minutes to get a drink. Id love to know where you are all queuing for drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Melion wrote: »
    Ive been in there 3 times now, all on a saturday night. Ive never waited more than 2-3 minutes to get a drink. Id love to know where you are all queuing for drinks.

Obviously all at the same bar. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 DannyAngellane

Thanks for the feedback, I know some people seem to be still having problems getting served at the bar we have been keeping an eye on this. One of the things we have noticed is that particularly on a Saturday night there is a peak time when a large number of customers all arrive in at once. We have more than enough bar staff to cope the rest of the night but during this period putting on more bar staff would not solve the problem. Simply put they would get in eachothers way and slow eachother down. Thats not to say we are doing nothing about it we are looking at making changes to how the bars operate with a view to changing bar staff training.

Thanks for the feedback, I know some people seem to be still having problems getting served at the bar we have been keeping an eye on this. One of the things we have noticed is that particularly on a Saturday night there is a peak time when a large number of customers all arrive in at once. We have more than enough bar staff to cope the rest of the night but during this period putting on more bar staff would not solve the problem. Simply put they would get in eachothers way and slow eachother down. Thats not to say we are doing nothing about it we are looking at making changes to how the bars operate with a view to changing bar staff training.

A simple serve in order of waiting, not closeness to the tap could probably resolve this. Or maybe work left to right so that each member of staff keeps moving right until they start back at the top of the bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

ninty9er wrote: »
    A simple serve in order of waiting, not closeness to the tap could probably resolve this. Or maybe work left to right so that each member of staff keeps moving right until they start back at the top of the bar.

Serve in order of waiting only works in quiet pubs, you couldn't expect a barman to remember order people arrive at a bar in a busy club.

Generally clubs divide the bar between the various barmen, and then work right to left or left to right. As a general rule, don't stand directly behind the taps as a barman might assume you're in a different barman's area and ignore you. You couldn't have a line of barmen covering the entire bar, people would just get in each others way and why waste time having barmen walk the full length of a bar?

Serve in order of waiting only works in quiet pubs, you couldn't expect a barman to remember order people arrive at a bar in a busy club.

Generally clubs divide the bar between the various barmen, and then work right to left or left to right. As a general rule, don't stand directly behind the taps as a barman might assume you're in a different barman's area and ignore you. You couldn't have a line of barmen covering the entire bar, people would just get in each others way and why waste time having barmen walk the full length of a bar?

Well clearly the parctice of serving sections isn't working in this place; as someone can have 6 people arrive at their barman's space after them and be served before them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

How is the over 21's working out? Not 21 until November but haven't been ID'd for a good while. Any plans to attract us students during the week when we return? All sounds promising so far though, especially with the rumours of Trooms closing down.

Hope the bouncers don't get antsy at a Dublin accent like what has happened a few times before..

Advertisement